Real men hunt in shorts

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    One of my friends shot a huge buck as he pooped, he had hung up his rifle, however his Ruger revolver was handy, one shot DRT...

So much for the smell driving away all deer.

Yeah, I am still careful about this and always make sure myself or anybody hunting with me doesn't defecate or urinate in the general area I"m hunting. But then just when I think I'm the guru of all deer hunting, I'll see a buck sniffing at a pile somebody left. It makes no rhyme or reason. I've seen what I believe to be it working both ways. Might just be the timing. Maybe they don't give an Aeronatical Intercourse when in Rut.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Two words.

Insect repellant.

Two more words... Tanning salon!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »

Ginger + tanning salon = steamedlobster_360.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    What has been seen cannot be UN-seen.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Ginger + tanning salon = steamedlobster_360.jpg

Deer can't see red!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Deer can't see red!
    Hmmmmm..... Maybe that shade

....:buff2:___:popcorn:___:silly:___:tissue:___:roll2:___:rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,725 Senior Member
    Deer can't see red!

How about pink, thus my earlier question.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,089 Senior Member
    Now, now boys. Y'all leave Buffy alone! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    All jokes aside, if you dress like that and go on my lease, you will wish you hadn't been born. You will be eaten alive by things you never knew existed. You will wish you could cut off your legs. You will be inundated by chiggers and red bugs of all kinds to say nothing of Tics and right now mosquitoes. It is NOT a good experience. This brush country around here is full of all kinds of insects. We wear long socks and long pants no matter how hot it is. One thing, if you don't want to stand out to deer, don't wear blue jeans. A deer can see the color blue. at least wear something Olive drab or camo. And never white, such as an exposed tee shirt. When you see white bobbing up and down it can appear to be a deer's tail end. It's just a good idea not to tempt fate.

And around here, if we're hunting on public land we are required to wear 400 SQ. Inches Blaze Orange. When I go with the Nilgai hunting crew down close to the King Ranch a Blaze orange vest is required not so much by the state, but by this group of hunters. Because they drive the Nilgai and we don't want to shoot the drivers or vise versa.

Some people just don't tan worth a damn. They'll burn red as a lobster but then they turn white again. I suspect Cabrito Boy is like that.
    Tans are overrated and not particularly healthy, what with skin cancer and whatnot. Gingers freckle easily - and if I remember correctly, freckles can have a tendency to turn malignant.

But I hear you about not going into "the bush" with bare legs - even I wear long pants under such conditions. I'll **** about it, but it beats the alternative!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    Tans are overrated and not particularly healthy, what with skin cancer and whatnot. Gingers freckle easily - and if I remember correctly, freckles can have a tendency to turn malignant.

But I hear you about not going into "the bush" with bare legs - even I wear long pants under such conditions. I'll **** about it, but it beats the alternative!

Yes, people from the northern British Isles have a lot of Ginger genes. They burn easy and don't really tan well. And yes Tanning can be dangerous if you're susceptible to skin cancer or Melanoma which fair skin people can be.

I'm pretty fair skinned myself. I have a lot of German in me but my dad's side is mainly Scot Irish. I burn easily but don't tan worth a damn.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I burn easily but don't tan worth a damn.
    I'm about the same way - and I try to take care of my alabaster skin!

zorba wrote: »
    I'm about the same way - and I try to take care of my alabaster skin!

Yeah, I stay out of the hot sun as much as I can. Most of my day time outdoor activities are in the fall and winter. I really don't give a damn about getting out in the summer sun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    And around here, if we're hunting on public land we are required to wear 400 SQ. Inches Blaze Orange.

Sidebar: One year when I lived in Utah, there was a misprint in the hunting guide book that required the hunter to wear 400 Sq. FEET of blaze orange....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sidebar: One year when I lived in Utah, there was a misprint in the hunting guide book that required the hunter to wear 400 Sq. FEET of blaze orange....

What? Not a fan of a rescue parachute inflated behind you while hunting?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    0497eb34ba169541af5f6967744b4466.jpg

And get eaten up by seed ticks. Holy crap...

Is this some new style of snow camo?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    You guys are brutal. BRUTAL I say!

Jayhawker wrote: »

I can see the classified adds in the paper now, Wanted, one blaze orange Circus Tent, :roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 388 Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I watched a deer bed down 50 yards from me one day. For the next TWO HOURS he laid there. After an hour I was growing tired of his presence. Lit up a smoke. Then another. And another. He never smelled a thing. He finally got up and fed my way. He was a little fork horn I had zero intention of shooting at first sight. After the Mexican standoff, my mind changed. I hit him with an arrow, but unfortunately we never found him.

I have run a chainsaw chunking up old birch logs for camp firewood..and had to set chainsaw down and pick up rifle to shoot a nice 6 point one time.
    Used to see lots of dear when in woods logging, they would stand around the edges of the cuts waiting for a chance to come in an nibble on the fallen top limbs.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    They ache all right. Just a little higher in the stomach area.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,017 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That's Crap. I've had deer walk in while I/we were smoking. As a matter of fact, we would joke that cigarettes being smoked made deer come to us. Because it happened on multiple occasions.

Not crap in my experience. Cigarette smoke is a sure way to an unfilled deer or elk tag where I hunt. Perhaps the deer around your hunting spot are accustomed to it.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Seems like one of the best ways to attract antelope is to shoot one and start dressing it where it fell. I've done this several times and had other antelope come up to watch. Mike (Linefinder) even shot a doe while I was gutting out a buck I had just shot.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Thermocell. I'd rather leave my bow or rifle than my 'Cell.

Thermacell is awesome, but the deer get wind of it WAY TO EASY.
    Not crap in my experience. Cigarette smoke is a sure way to an unfilled deer or elk tag where I hunt. Perhaps the deer around your hunting spot are accustomed to it.

The deer around my parts are way to educated I guess....I have come to the conclusion you can try all the no scent clothing and scents you want and it doesn't matter around here. They get down wind of you and it is game over. I have found while bow hunting that only way I can be successful is to hunt the correct stand vs. the wind.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I shot this little feller a couple years ago while puffing a cigar. No bare legs, though.

9Point_onsite1.jpg?1442857130397&1442857140025&1442857145715
    Nice dark horned deer....cigar?? downwind?......I am obviously hunting the wrong deer!
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Seems like one of the best ways to attract antelope is to shoot one and start dressing it where it fell. I've done this several times and had other antelope come up to watch. Mike (Linefinder) even shot a doe while I was gutting out a buck I had just shot.

Yep, I have had that happen when dressing deer.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    The deer around my parts are way to educated I guess....I have come to the conclusion you can try all the no scent clothing and scents you want and it doesn't matter around here. They get down wind of you and it is game over. I have found while bow hunting that only way I can be successful it to hunt the correct stand vs. the wind.
    My sentiments exactly for pretty much the entire planet. Similarly, the more I look at my trail cameras, the less I worry about deer knowing that I had been somewhere. I have pics of a whole herd of late season deer standing right where I had been walking around less than an hour prior in my stinky duty uniform. The evidence points to them knowing full well when a scent is residual versus when the actual critter (person, in this case) is in their immediate vicinity.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Nice dark horned deer....cigar?? downwind?......I am obviously hunting the wrong deer!

When I'm smoking, I face upwind and look mostly in that direction, with just an occasional glance downwind. This guy was downwind, but the wind was swirling and I was up about 10 feet, and across a creek from him. He knew something was odd, and was moving slowly away, but didn't get too excited about it. Also, he was with a doe, so he was probably a little bit distracted.