Home Main Category Hunting

Real men hunt in shorts

13»

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Even I can smell a heavy smoker at 30 yds in the wood even when he isn't smoking at the time.

Of course the wind has to be right.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    I have the occasional cigarette while hunting and the smoke doesnt seem to make any difference to my success rate, ( I have taken 5 deer in the last 6 weeks).................Its the coughing after every puff that will scare deer away.

Seriously though, most of my hunting is by way of stalking and no amount of scent control will help me if I hunt downwind.

Conversely, it doesn't matter what you smell like if you hunt upwind.

Took a doe for meat on sunday.........spotted the deer from over 410yds away and stalked upwind to the point where I head shot it at 37yds.............When I first spotted it I had just had a feed of panfried venison steaks cooked over a gas cooker and was relaxing with a cigarette and a fresh brewed mug of coffee............Put the smoke out, put my coffee mug down, commenced the stalk and when I shot her she had her head down eating grass.

I could have got closer if I had wanted ( and probably would have if I was using a 270 to make sure I stunned her long enough to cut her throat) but as I was using the mighty 'trebly' ( 222) I figured 37yds was a good range as I didn't want to strain the barrel too much on a long shot.

I could still smell the steak, coffee and smoke on my clothes while I field dressed her.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    Ask Zorba about hunting in shorts.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I have the occasional cigarette while hunting and the smoke doesnt seem to make any difference to my success rate, ( I have taken 5 deer in the last 6 weeks).................Its the coughing after every puff that will scare deer away.

Seriously though, most of my hunting is by way of stalking and no amount of scent control will help me if I hunt downwind.

Conversely, it doesn't matter what you smell like if you hunt upwind.

Took a doe for meat on sunday.........spotted the deer from over 410yds away and stalked upwind to the point where I head shot it at 37yds.............When I first spotted it I had just had a feed of panfried venison steaks cooked over a gas cooker and was relaxing with a cigarette and a fresh brewed mug of coffee............Put the smoke out, put my coffee mug down, commenced the stalk and when I shot her she had her head down eating grass.

I could have got closer if I had wanted ( and probably would have if I was using a 270 to make sure I stunned her long enough to cut her throat) but as I was using the mighty 'trebly' ( 222) I figured 37yds was a good range as I didn't want to strain the barrel too much on a long shot.

I could still smell the steak, coffee and smoke on my clothes while I field dressed her.

I would actually be surprised to discover that it is the tobacco smell that puts them on the move, absent other factors. I worked in the woods for thirty years as a land surveyor, and have walked up on deer and hogs more times than I can remember. Sometimes they 'spooked,' but sometimes they just watched, if I was not approaching them. I've had them walk out into a right-of-way that I was set up on (quietly) with a transit, and graze, until I had to holler out to the crew that was chaining (measuring) a couple hundred yards in front of me. They were usually does or young bucks, but the big bucks were probably nearby, in some cases.

Obviously, it's better to adhere to the stealth rules that harm nothing and probably improve your chances, but you can get away with breaches, depending upon where you are, how plentiful the deer are, and how heavily 'man' has impacted them.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Even I can smell a heavy smoker at 30 yds in the wood even when he isn't smoking at the time.

Of course the wind has to be right.

:that:....and I promise if me and you can smell it a deer can long before us.
    I don't know if animals attach the smell of tobacco with humans. We do, but I'm not sure they do. I feel it puts them more on alert because it's an unfamiliar smell, but there have to be hundreds of smells coming to a deer's sensitive nose. I can smell a smoker from a long way off. I'm sure deer can, but I'm not sure they smell a smoker and think "That's a human." I think it's an unregistered smell with them and they run away from unregistered smells.

I once stalked up to 20 yards on a deer, maybe a bit less. The deer was bedded down and I took maybe six steps a half-hour and when the wind shifted, the deer got up and ran away. I was bow hunting at the time and couldn't have got a shot because of thick growth. I wasn't eating red meat at the time and often wondered if this was a factor. But I don't think so, I think it was the wind. But I will say the quality of the air changed when I got up on him...maybe this isn't so, but it seems so whenever I come up on a deer while I'm in a stand. I sense it before I see the animal when bow hunting.

Scent is important. I've known chain smokers who have killed deer while smoking on the stand, or at least they said they did.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Seems like one of the best ways to attract antelope is to shoot one and start dressing it where it fell. I've done this several times and had other antelope come up to watch. Mike (Linefinder) even shot a doe while I was gutting out a buck I had just shot.
    Thats like PA whitetails and a chainsaw. I think they have the sound associated with tree top browse, because I have seen a lot when I am running the saw and they are not real concerned.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Buffco wrote: »
    0497eb34ba169541af5f6967744b4466.jpg

And get eaten up by seed ticks. Holy crap...

I have been 'eaten up by seed ticks in almost every condition of dress. If there are seed ticks, they are going to get you, no matter what you do. The closest I've ever come to repelling them was to spray my boots and britches legs with WD-40, then powdering them with Sevin dust. Even then, they clump up on bushes and when you brush against them, you get a few hundred on your clothes, whereupon they march immediately to your nether regions.

I got into them one time and they concentrated underneathe my waistband. I had so many bites that it looked like I was wearing a belt, when undressed. I ran a high fever and had to have shots - not tick fever - just ran a fever from too many insect bites. It is one of the reasons why I don't hate fire-ants as bad as most folks. When fire ants take over an area - the ticks disappear.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I shot this little feller a couple years ago while puffing a cigar. No bare legs, though.

9Point_onsite1.jpg?1442857130397&1442857140025&1442857145715

Did you shoot that with that Post 63 Model 70? Nice deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I don't smoke, but I believe in our hunting area the deer don't necessarily associate any kind of smoke with humans. But human scent in general is a death sentence for your hunting success. That's one reason people often get long shot opportunities but maybe not so much at close range. They will rarely come out close to you down wind.

I have hunted like bow hunters using all their tricks. It seems to help but then they will even smell you doing this, unless you mask your scent with natural scent masks. Two things I have found really mask your scent. One is skunk scent, the other is either wild garlic or wild onion.

If you hunt in an area that has skunks, skunk scent is about as good as it gets and works very well, IF you can stand it. But then it doesn't take much. I put a couple drops on a few cotton balls and throw them around the blind.

I remember once I was hunting out of Gonzales Tx and I had on camo, a camo face mask, and threw cotton balls with skunk scent on the ground around me. I was sitting on a tree stump on the edge of a scendero out in front of God and everybody, when a doe walked within three feet of me. I didn't move. She was very close to me, yet she never saw or smelled me. Unfortunately, I didn't have a doe permit and that county required them. So I had to let her walk. But not 5 minutes later, about 25 yards down the Scendero out walks an 8 point. I'm sure he was trailing her. So I shot him.

Another thing that works good if it's native to where you're hunting is Garlic. In many places Garlic grows wild. So I will cut me a clove and rub it on my boot toe. Then I'll put it in a plastic sandwich bag and put it in my pocket. When I get where I'm going to sit, I'll open that plastic bag and set it at my feet. I've had deer walk right by me with garlic also.

Another thing that grows in the wild around here are wild onions. I've done the same thing with them. Just cut a small onion up and put it in a small ziplock bag. When you get where you're going to sit, just open the bag. If you're walking around, just rub the raw onion on your boots. Wild onions are everywhere in nature.

I've found all these things work, but they work better if you don't bring any other strange scent to the party. I use descenting spray on my clothes and body. The night before I hunt, I wash my hunting clothes, underwear and all, in Scentless liquid detergent with no fabric softener and surely no bleach. When I take them out of the dryer I put them in a large plastic bag and spray Decenting spray in the bag on top of the clothes and tie it shut. Then I shake it up well and put it to the side. The next morning I'll take a shower using descented bath soap and put on descented deodrant and dress in other clothes and throw the bag with my hunting clothes in the truck and go to my lease. Then when I get inside the last gate I put on the descented clothes and spray them one more time. One more trick I like to do along with all this is take a fresh box of baking soda and put a couple table spoons in my mouth with some water and waller it around like mouth wash and spit it out. Then after this treatment you can also take a small bite of that onion or garlic, but you might not want to drink the skunk scent, :yikes::vomit::tooth:!

Think about when you're breathing if you have any off smells in your breath, you're spewing it out all over with every breath.

I learned most of this from my son in law, who is an avid bow hunter. I don't do this every time, but there are those mornings when I feel real serious about getting a big buck. My son in law doesn't aways use his bow, but he does this stuff pretty religiously, even when Rifle Hunting. He goes that extra inch to help insure success. He hasn't killed a deer with a bow on my lease yet, but I'm thinking he will this year.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This is the answer to ticks and chiggers. Works so well I'm afraid to know what it's doing to ME.

http://www.amazon.com/Repel-LIB371439-Permanone-6oz-Aerosol/dp/B003T1OS96

Spray on clothes ONLY.

My neighbor said they used to put dog flea and tick collars around their ankles and wrists when he was in the Rangers, worked fine.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    This is the answer to ticks and chiggers. Works so well I'm afraid to know what it's doing to ME.

Spray on clothes ONLY.

I have good luck with Cutters. Only spray from knees down on pants......... and stay out of weeds taller than that.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Let the Fire Ants eat them.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    My neighbor said they used to put dog flea and tick collars around their ankles and wrists when he was in the Rangers, worked fine.

It might help some for full grown ticks that are on the ground, but I know from personal experience that they are useless against seed ticks, which cluster on bushes and transfer from knee high or above...by the dozens (or hundreds). Seed ticks are the size of a grain of sand, and you usually don't notice them until they have covered your upper body and start itching.
    bisley wrote: »
    It might help some for full grown ticks that are on the ground, but I know from personal experience that they are useless against seed ticks, which cluster on bushes and transfer from knee high or above...by the dozens (or hundreds). Seed ticks are the size of a grain of sand, and you usually don't notice them until they have covered your upper body and start itching.

I will ask him. He said they wore them when deployed in Central America.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    So, when you are huntin shorts, do you try to put the bullet hole in the front or the back?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member

They can work or not for humans; but, the toxic dangers are higher than any good these collars do for humans.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    So, when you are huntin shorts, do you try to put the bullet hole in the front or the back?
    Why not both?
    NN wrote: »
    They can work or not for humans; but, the toxic dangers are higher than any good these collars do for humans.

I guess I would argue that if it was on outside their clothing it would not be any worse exposure than being around your dog.

Didn't work for me later in life. When I was in training in the Army, a long time ago, I NEVER had ticks or chiggers and I was in some pretty chiggery places. Bloused boots and long sleeved fatigues kept them away, I think. Woods and kudzu and I never heard of any fellow soldiers with ticks or even chiggers.

When I worked dope later on as a LEO we did some surveillance in ticky terrain and used flea collars but they didn't do any good. Can't say they didn't work on dogs, but they didn't work on us. We put them on ankles and wrists and still got ticks.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member

Spray on clothes ONLY.
    This is the answer to the clothing piece, for sure. It attacks the tick/chigger nervous system and they literally can't hold on to your clothing. Better still, it can last through several washes before it needs to be reapplied.

It's apparently just a man-made form of a naturally occurring chemical from flowers, but the solvent used to carry it in liquid form is nasty. Never spray it directly on you. It's fine once it dries, but you should never handle garments sprayed with until they are totally dry. Hangars are your friend when spraying.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If you Giggle Big Game Hunters in Africa they show pics of most of the famous ones wearing shorts.

So, it ain't GA, but they got plenty mean critters in Africa Buffy, so you can hunt in whatever you like, I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    With the reaction I get from poison ivy, I won't even hunt in short sleeves againg no matter how hot it is outside.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    If you Giggle Big Game Hunters in Africa they show pics of most of the famous ones wearing shorts.

So, it ain't GA, but they got plenty mean critters in Africa Buffy, so you can hunt in whatever you like, I reckon.
    Like I said, real men hunt in shorts.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Like I said, real men hunt in shorts.

Well yes.......but;

PappyCod-Piece.jpg

The Cod- Piece!!!!!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Well yes.......but;

PappyCod-Piece.jpg

The Cod- Piece!!!!!!

Irish Fairy?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!