What game do you have in your freezer............?

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,702 Senior Member
TWA's mention of his freezer got me to thinking about what I was going to defrost for dinner tomorrow night.............and as I ran a mental check of what I had available, I started thinking about posting the question.

Currently in mine I have the following ..........

Approx 30 Mallard duck breasts ( bone in)
2 pairs of Peacock breasts.
1 whole plucked pheasant.
1 whole plucked turkey.
1 wild hog leg roast.
2 packets of wild hog steaks
About 5 kilo's of wild hog meat for sausages.
about 7 kilo's of venison for same.
4 shoulders of venison.
6 backsteaks (whole) venison.
4 back legs of venison for either roasts or steak.
2 kilo's of whitebait.......( little fish that make great fritters)
2 1/2 smoked snapper for making fish pies.......
About 2 kilo's of venison for stews and casseroles.
5 kilo's of Paradise duck breasts for sausages.

Have two deer that I shot on sunday hanging in the meat safe that will be processed into steaks, roasts and trimmings for sausages and salamis ( Might get some bier sticks done as well)

Oh, and 3 packets of meat that the labels fell off which could make an interesting dinner once I defrost them and figure out what they are.

How is your freezer looking?
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Exact quantity unknown. But, I have a chest and upright freezer full of the following:

Whitetail
    Pronghorn
    Blackbuck
    Ferel Pig
    Axis
    Kudu
    Dove
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    It's time to start giving some away as a new season is beginning.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    TWA's mention of his freezer got me to thinking about what I was going to defrost for dinner tomorrow night.............and as I ran a mental check of what I had available, I started thinking about posting the question.

1 whole plucked turkey.
    1 wild hog leg roast.
    4 shoulders of venison.

Have two deer that I shot on sunday hanging in the meat safe that will be processed into steaks, roasts and trimmings for sausages and salamis ( Might get some bier sticks done as well)

Oh, and 3 packets of meat that the labels fell off which could make an interesting dinner once I defrost them and figure out what they are.

Oh it's a little over 3 feet tall, about 4 feet long and 2 1/2 feet or so wide and it's white. Sits in one corner of my wash room.

Oh! I guess you mean on the inside! :tooth:

Well up till last week it was similar to yours. And I guess technically it's still the same, but some of the meats have changed form. When I made 150 pounds of saugage last week I had about 40 pounds of wild hog, about the same of deer, some rabbits and some Ducks and a couple of big chunks of Nilgai. Everything cept the duck and rabbit has been ground into sausage. I also added the balance of the 150 pounds total of domestic pork(roughly half the total weight), mainly Boston Butt Roasts and raw uncured Picknic hams I cut up and deboned to make grindable size pieces. Like I said, I ended up with about 150 pounds of meat. I like the total to be in 25 or 50 pound increments to make seasoning and addition of curing salt easy. Remember roughly 30-32 ounces of salt per 100 pounds of meat. The curing salt and regular uniodized salt together should total 30-32 ouces per 100 pounds meat. They are both about the same saltiness and are cumulative.

Last season I had deboned all my deer and hogs except ribs(I gave all the ribs, both deer and wild hog to the Cambodian guy that is going to be my business landlord, he loves them) and cut into steaks or pieces the right size for Jerky. Also, the tougher cuts were in packages labeled Sausage meat. I had some packages full of back strap. I just said hell with it, it was going to get old so I ground it all including the back strap. Then I seasoned it and mixed it all together in my big 150 quart Igloo Marine Ice Chest. I started stuffing it into links but stopped that night because I was dog ass tired(Last Thursday) and put all the ground meat into plastic and froze it.

Yeah I know, you're not supposed to refreeze meat. But I think that just has to do with Texture. Well hell do you really worry about that with sausage?

Also, I did stuff about 20 links before I quit and cooked some. It's really not bad at all. But it needs a little more fat(And smoking). So, since pork fat is almost non existent in the market place this time of year, I'm going to wait until it cools off and you can buy trimmings. I'll get about 50 pounds of that and grind it and mix it in.

Then I'll add a couple ounces more Prague No. 1 curing salt, Sodium Nitrite, (Need 1 ounce for every 25 pounds of meat) and 12 oz non iodized salt, along with about a half ounce course ground black pepper and a couple teaspoons of garlic powder and mix it all up and stuff it. Then smoke it on a nice cool night. That should make some fine sausage.

Then I'll try to get Fe to do something with her rabbits and ducks so I'll have my freezer ready for more deer and hogs. I really need an extra Freezer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    HOLY SMOKES - literally! You guys need to get busy, call me when the smoker is full and I will bring the beer. :beer:

I have about 10 lbs. of deer sausage and about 5 lbs of deer jerky left from last year.....and in the last week have added 2 deer. The back straps will be cut up and sealed and the rest goes to my Sausage / Jerky / Sticks guy that hooks me up. My Son cleaned me out of Walleye, crappie and Duck and Goose when he went back to school in August.

1 whole plucked turkey.
    1 wild hog leg roast.
    4 shoulders of venison.

I've heard Peacock Breast is wonderful, any truth to that?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    twa wrote: »
    HOLY SMOKES - literally! You guys need to get busy, call me when the smoker is full and I will bring the beer. :beer:

I have about 10 lbs. of deer sausage and about 5 lbs of deer jerky left from last year.....and in the last week have added 2 deer. The back straps will be cut up and sealed and the rest goes to my Sausage / Jerky / Sticks guy that hooks me up. My Son cleaned me out of Walleye, crappie and Duck and Goose when he went back to school in August.

Anytime you want to come down here when I'm making sausage just let me know. Sounds like you'll be pretty handy to have around. You evidently have the right sausage making resume.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Anytime you want to come down here when I'm making sausage just let me know. Sounds like you'll be pretty handy to have around. You evidently have the right sausage making resume.

Nope, I am the wrong guy for the sausage making. I am pretty good at drinking beer and eating it though, so I may take you up on that part of it! I have the best situation ever, between my Son, Daughter and I we take between 10 to 15 deer a year between KS and MO hunting seasons. I keep the back straps, and bone the rest out and take it to a guy that makes the best sausage and jerky I have ever had. He keeps half and gives us the other half and doesn't charge me a dime. If it has worked out very well the past 10 years or so!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Ours is pretty empty when it comes to game. One package of Deer hotdogs and maybe one piece of wild boar/pig.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    A dove breast.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    A dove breast.

You need to get busy....:jester:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Mule deer (various cuts)
    Whitetail (various cuts - a few different deer)
    Antelope (until a month or two ago)
    Wild turkey breast
    Snow goose
    Canada goose
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    Goat, peacock, turkey, rabbit, hare, pig, pheasant.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    I have about 50-60 lbs. of Elk steaks/loins/stew meat left from the two I got last year. I have some Mule deer steaks & a bit of Antelope left. All the ground meat is gone. I'm leaving to go Moose/Deer hunting in a week so I should have a lot more meat in a little while, if all goes well.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I've heard Peacock Breast is wonderful, any truth to that?

One of the best game birds to eat in my opinion. Think of it as a Turkey sized pheasant and treat it accordingly. When I culled peacocks off a market garden a few years back, they were eating chili's off the plants. Their meat was infused with chili............so I cooked the first breasts by slicing them thin and making a Thai green curry with them. The DH girls liked it so much I ended up making that same dish every second Monday night when they came over for dinner until I ran out of breasts.
    twa wrote: »

I eat at least two meals per week minimum of game that I have taken. The best thing about living here is that there is no season for deer, hogs, turkeys, peacocks and Canada geese and no limits for them either. When the freezer runs out of their meat, its time to go hunting again.

The only thing I have to 'ration' is ducks and Upland game............and even then I can normally top the freezer with some species when I do culls as part of my Wildlife Ranger activities.......:tooth:

You guys can keep your handguns.........every time I get jealous, I just pick up a rifle and go hunting to make me feel better :rotflmao:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member

You guys can keep your handguns.........every time I get jealous, I just pick up a suppressed rifle and go hunting to make me feel better :rotflmao:
    FIFY

All I have left is a few grocery bags full of ground whitetail. Now that it's not quite so blasted HOT, I need to get 20# or so of it out and make some summer sausage and get it smoked.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Somewhere between 6 and 10 quart bags full of dove. Haven't shot a deer or hog in two years.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    FIFY

Thanks Paul.................I didn't want to rub it in.......:tooth:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Thanks Paul.................I didn't want to rub it in.......:tooth:
    You didn't :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.