Home Main Category General Firearms

BALLISTOL! Heard of it, use it, opinion of it?

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberNorth Georgia MountainsPosts: 648 Senior Member
This stuff has had so much hype on Youtube I'm almost afraid to talk about it. Ballistol, if you're not familiar with it, is an oil/lubricant developed in Germany in the very early 1900's. It is non-toxic and is almost supposed to do everything by way of cleaning, lubricating, finishing, etc. Maybe if you want a dry martini you could garnish your gin/vodka with an aerosol shot of this stuff and be in Heaven.

I've tried the stuff on barrel patches and didn't see anything remarkable about it. Other than that it has an odor that I don't care for.

Some like it and some don't. I'd like to hear from anyone with any experience with this stuff.

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,242 Senior Member
    I have used it for years and I like it. I dont think it is a bore cleaner, but as a lube that emulsifies with water it is great.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Well, it isn't Crisco...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member
    I use it but not for bore cleaning of course. Good stuff that won't harm stock finishes.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Any black powder shooter who isn't using Ballistol simply doesn't know what he's doing. It's one of the few products that don't create hard, crusty deposits when exposed to BP residue. It was the only cleaner/lube product used by the German army in two world wars, and was also used as a preservative for wood, leather, and even as a minor wound treatment. There are better copper solvents, and other specialty products, but as a general purpose bore cleaner, lube, and preservative, it's hard to beat. Other things we love smell funky- - - -get used to it!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,759 Senior Member
    I like it and it's a good cleaner and will slick things up real nicely. It's at least as good as CLP, I think.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Mid MissouriPosts: 972 Senior Member
    The smell of the crap is too foul to outweigh any usefulness it may have.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Ft. Laramie WyPosts: 820 Senior Member
    I've used it, not found it to be the gods gift to blackpowder shooters some say it is. For cleaning the barrel I much prefer to use a mix of 3 parts NAPA water soluble cutting oil and 7 parts water. Then using a good bore solvent to clean the carbon and residue from the barrel, and what ever lead there may have been deposited in the grooves.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,759 Senior Member
    For cleaning the barrel on a blackpowder rifle, it's hard to beat hot water and soap. Afterwards, spray with WD 40 and then lube it. Ballistol is fine for the lube, I guess.

Also a little ammonia in the soap works great. Ballistol smells like liquorice and dirty socks. But it's a great lube. So is the Swedish autofet which you can sometimes find.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.