Home Main Category Hunting

Instinctive Bow Shooting

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 24,706 Senior Member
......for fishing or hunting

I guess it means not attaching sight pins and using such.

I have been told I shoot a bow instinctively, but, do I really or do I use a different sighting system.

I saw the video of an instinctive bow shooter and he looked at the tgt pulled and shot very fast.

I for one and I expect others look at the arrowhead and place in in space in respect to the tgt before shooting, so,
is that instinctive shooting or in effect a primitive sighting system?

I think it is sighting off the arrowhead.
Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    There is a way to use the arrow as a sight. If you see someone shooting with an arrow sticking several inches in front of the bow, they are using the tip for a sight. You have to experiment with the arrow length to get it in the right spot.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I agree that sighting off of the arrowhead is not the same as instinctive aiming. Instinctive aiming is just that. Holding the bow up, pointing the arrow "right...there" on the target without a fixed sight reference and sending one. Because this method is usually used with a recurve or longbow that has no let-off like a modern compound, the release does tend to be fast to avoid the rapid onset of fatigue and shake. It's akin to taking a shot with a basketball or throwing a football to a receiver on the run. You just eventually develop a feel for what your body action will result in when you aim for the target.

I just started learning how to do this last summer and it is definitely challenging.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • J.KeeferJ.Keefer New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    This would fit a lot better on "The Bowsite". It's an archery site. Covers what you're asking, saying etc. a lot more thourghly by archery experts (and of course,some who think they know it all)'