I know of Deer jumping the String, but come on!!

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
Craziest thing I have seen in a very long time of bowhunting....
I shoot a PSE that shoots close to 350 fps, 15 yard shot at an old doe last night, when I released the arrow the deer literally belly flopped onto the ground before my arrow arrived. I have seen them duck many times, mostly on longer shots, but this was one of the smartest, fastest old girls I think I have ever dealt with. Just when you think it's game over.....I gotta give it to the old girl. :worthy:

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    She's been educated...I'd bet she's been hit before. She probably looks up too....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I hit a quartering toward doe in the back of the head when she ducked the string and turned to run. I was aiming at the point of her shoulder.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Clearly sound travels faster than your arrows...

I believe it is the same principle in lock time in firearms. The faster the "click" to primer ignition, the less time the game has to react.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    Did that doe move anything like this:

Maybe she took the red pill.:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    With gun hunting, that is 100 percent irrelevant.

Not necessarily. When deer spend enough time in the Matrix, they stop dodging your shots and start doing this:

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    There was this dumbass at work, a real mental giant, that used to tell a false hood now and then (Like on a daily basis) about him and his son shooting at a coyote he said was about 400 yards away. He said that coyote was smart. Because as soon as it heard the shot it would step back or duck down. It pays to know something about basic Physics and other scientific laws before trying to fool a bunch of other old liars, :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    With gun hunting, that is 100 percent irrelevant.

I have to agree, after thinking more about it. Even with a 1000 FPS sub sonic, at 50 yards the sound would arrive just .02 seconds before the bullet.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Not necessarily. When deer spend enough time in the Matrix, they stop dodging your shots and start doing this:

She is in it!!!!!! :tooth:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I have to agree, after thinking more about it. Even with a 1000 FPS sub sonic, at 50 yards the sound would arrive just .02 seconds before the bullet.

D

Well it probably doesn't have a whole lot to do with Hunting accuracy, but faster lock times do tend to contribute to tighter groups on paper.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member
    An old doe didn't get to be old and barren by being stupid and gullible. I think they're as smart or smarter than a mature buck.

My hunting buddy shot a new doe this Sunday with a longbow at about 60 yards. The longest shot he's ever made on a deer and he's killed a lot of deer with a traditional bow. The wooden arrow was going maybe 160 fps, and he missed his first shot because he was contorted at about 20 yards, where the deer ran off but stopped broadside. Big mistake.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    An old doe didn't get to be old and barren by being stupid and gullible. I think they're as smart or smarter than a mature buck.

My hunting buddy shot a new doe this Sunday with a longbow at about 60 yards. The longest shot he's ever made on a deer and he's killed a lot of deer with a traditional bow. The wooden arrow was going maybe 160 fps, and he missed his first shot because he was contorted at about 20 yards, where the deer ran off but stopped broadside. Big mistake.

No doubt about it, one ole girl has me pegged every night, I am going to have to move my ladder stand...she knows EXACTLY where I am at and is alerting every darn deer in the county.....She needs to die....and I have a plan. :guns: