Home Main Category General Firearms

Heritage single action?

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
Anyone have any experience with these. I am looking at one in .22lr. Price point is great, and they look nice. How do they shoot?

Replies

• toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I had one, pretty good little gun. Sometimes the firing pin would rotate a bit, and wouldn't be positioned to strike the rim of the cartridge. Turn it back to the correct position and keep blastin'. The way I aim, mine shot slightly to the left. I think I could have bent the front sight to correct it, but never got around to it, just held it off to the right a bit to compensate. IIRC, it could hit a six inch steel plate at about ten yards. Never shot a group with it, but the point of impact seemed pretty repeatable.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    For the money they seem ok. A couple cowboy shooters use them for rimfire matches the day before the cowboy match and they seem to like them. I can't get past the ugly ass safety myself. Single Six for me.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member NEPA Near Lake WallenpaupackPosts: 3,056 Senior Member
    I have the .22lr / 22mag combo. For the price (I bought it new), I say it's a good buy. I enjoy single actions, and this does as well as any of the others I have owned.

We have a bullet trap in the back yard, and shoot rifle at 75 feet and pistol at 30...it gets all the rounds on the paper reasonably enough...probably be better if I shot more regularly.

Granted, I haven't run any 22 mag thru yet...have some, just haven't for some reason.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I had one, a combo .22/.22 mag and it shot just fine. I hear the newer ones are made even better than years ago. Not a Ruger, but it was fun to shoot and I never had any issues with either cylinder.

I screwed up and traded it a few years ago for that Argentine made piece of crap DA Comanche revolver the frame cracked on up at the last SE Shoot.

Oh well, I got it for 100 bucks NIB back in 2000 or so on sale.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They have greatly expanded their line these days from what they had and even big bores. Big bores use some parts from Italy.

I'm not sure the Big Bore models have that safety??? Or even the .22s still???

http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_listing.cfm?cat_id=2

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_HeritageBigBore.htm
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member crusted in sandPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I considered buying one for Debbie a while back as I found quite a few used ones for about 100.00. A safety on a single action revolver? Really? I ended up buying her an SR22 instead and she loves it. If I went with a single action .22, it would be a Ruger or a Colt.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the great feedback. The one I am looking at is the .22/22mag. Though I do not know how much I would shoot the .22wmr.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Mid MissouriPosts: 972 Senior Member
    I've owned two. The first was a bird's head model and it didn't shoot worth a dang...way off on point of aim. The second was the regular 4 3/4" inch model and it actually shot quite well and to point of aim. Triggers aren't bad and lock up is usually good. Decent for what they are.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    The one I had had a crossbar safety, held the hammer just off the firing pin. Didn't seem like that big of an obstruction to me, kind of a common sense (or maybe lawyerizing) deal to get kiddos used to operating a safety.

Hadn't really paid much attention to single action 22 revolvers, but I imagine Rugers and Colts are in a different price bracket.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs