Home Main Category General Firearms

IMR 4007 SSC Powder Recall

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I opened a 4lb plastic jug of Bullseye and it had a strong, but not unpleasant smell, no red dust/yellowish tint, no discoloration or fumes coming out and it looked normal to me. It smelled like acetone/alcohol stronger than any other powder I use, though. I haven't used Bullseye in years and maybe just forgot the smell.

Some powder has more of a chemical small than others. I could smell the odor even in the powder dispenser, but not near as strong today when I sniffed it as it was at first.

Probably reading way too much into this, but I am gonna make it point to check all my powders more closely.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-126840.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The information on checking powder you are using is good info. :up:

Bullseye powder has always seemed to have a strong odor to me. So did the old Unique formulation.

Anyway, if I open a canister of previously opened powder that was tightly capped after use, and see tiny little beads of what look like water on the powder granules, I pour it out in the ditch across the road from the house. Good fertilizer for the weeds, and if it explodes it will clean out the ditch!

And I have some really old, as in around 40 year old, one pound canisters of IMR 4064 that my Dad bought. I still use it as it was stored in a cool dry place. My chronographed loads with it show that it is consistent in velocity. I use it mostly for .30-06 and .308 Win. loads for my M1 rifle and M1A rifle.

Another thing I noticed about the alcohol/acetone smell. As you use powder from a canister, the air space increases in the canister as you use powder and leaves more space for the alcohol/acetone to off-gas into. The smell leaves after the powder is poured into a powder dispenser, and from the canister, if you leave the lids off for a few minutes.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I don't use it yet, but at the rate I've experimented with powders, it's time is probably coming. I'm not a one powder fits all person. I figure there's probably one powder at least one that performs well in a certain cartridge-chamber-barrel combinations and if you want to find out which ones do best in a certain firearm you need to try it. For instance, my .270 Win. does really well with a 130 grain bullet and about 56.7 grains of IMR 4831. My wife's .308 shoots real well with a 150 grain GK and 44 grains of BLC-2. My .250 Savage and my 257 AI do real well with RL-17, as does my wife's .243. My 7mm Mag does great with RL 22 while my Weatherby Mark V 300 WBY Mag loves a 180 grain GK over about 86 grains of RL-25. My 22-250 loves IMR or H 4895 and also IMR or H 4064. Some of these did ok with other powders, but these are the powders they were the most accurate and had overall better velocities with. So I guess I'll keep trying different powders in different guns as long as I load. Therefore it's probably only a matter of time before I try IMR 4007 SSC in something or more somethings.

I figure this was a fluke and probably a mix up of something. They'll get it straightened out.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Best ""Burnt" powder I ever smelled was in .22 Magnum, it just smells so good when I open the bolt or sniff a fired .22 Mag, Winchester I think maybe CCI too.........but that fragrance is just wonderful to me...............probably killin what brain cells I have left in retirement. :yikes: :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:
    Some say storing in a controlled temperature without major swings help preserve it. Other say garage storage works just fine. I store mine in wooden cabinets in the garage in its original containers with no issues.