Home Main Category Hunting

First trek on the pig property this year...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Nothing seen, but some heard. Half the property is under about 4 inches of water, but it's all hard pack sand on the fire mitigation roads. I had quite a time tracking fresh prints in what little dry ground there was and I jumped a few deer (verboten on this property) and spooked a small pack of pigs that didn't weigh more than 60 or 70 pounds each. I did see a few monster size prints though.

Tuesday I am going out there to teach some feeder food stealing raccoons a permanent lesson and I have a coyote hunt planned not long after. All the deer flies are gone, so it's looking good out there. After a bit more of the water recedes it'll be a hog wallow heaven.

20150924_191601.jpg
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    :up:

Got your 44 up and running yet?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Nothing seen, but some heard. Half the property is under about 4 inches of water, but it's all hard pack sand on the fire mitigation roads. I had quite a time tracking fresh prints in what little dry ground there was and I jumped a few deer (verboten on this property) and spooked a small pack of pigs that didn't weigh more than 60 or 70 pounds each. I did see a few monster size prints though.

Tuesday I am going out there to teach some feeder food stealing raccoons a permanent lesson and I have a coyote hunt planned not long after. All the deer flies are gone, so it's looking good out there. After a bit more of the water recedes it'll be a hog wallow heaven.

20150924_191601.jpg

Damn Jason, that looks just like my lease.

Very similar. I bet it's a carbon copy complete with snakes and fire ants and copious amounts of mosquitos.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    You know there are extra guns available if you need help... call me!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Damn Jason, that looks just like my lease.

Very similar. I bet it's a carbon copy complete with snakes and fire ants and copious amounts of mosquitos.

Fire ants galore. The flooding will help mitigate the ants for a few weeks hopefully.

The bigger issue is some local whiskey-tangos using the property as a quadbike racetrack...fortunately the local Sheriff's Office Agg/Marine unit is all about catching them. They've even stolen some trail cams and a feeder.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    knitepoet wrote: »
    :up:

Got your 44 up and running yet?

Close! Just some minor fitting and she'll be rocking!
    Close! Just some minor fitting and she'll be rocking!

i just bought two new feeders and I have about 150 pounds of corn and some Hog Wild I want to put out. I'm purposely avoiding the place now because I'm afraid a hog will present a good shot and I need to dispach with some of last years meat I ground to sausage. I haven't stuffed it yet or smoked it which I'm waiting for cooler weather to do it.

When I get that out of the way, eat some and give a bunch away, then I'll have room in the freezer for a couple deer and a hog. I think our deer season opens November 7.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    Those flies are mostly gone here, too.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    Those flies are mostly gone here, too.

So bad in July they were dive bombing my truck by the hundreds.
    Been there
    they were a bit of a burden when I rode my bicycle out into the forest this summer.

But, still better than you had.

Skeeters should get bad in a few days, even up on the road.

I bet there's a slew of Snakes out at my place. It's still warm enough and the place is probably grown up due to all the rain we've had this summer. I would prefer temperatures in the 50s before I go out there, but I doubt that's going to happen. We need to go out in the first half of October and get things ready for opening weekend on November 7th.
    Snake, just buy some snake boots and don't worry about it other than watching where you walk.

You can get heavy enough chaps, too.
    NN wrote: »
    Snake, just buy some snake boots and don't worry about it other than watching where you walk.

You can get heavy enough chaps, too.

Yeah I know, snake leggings. But I need to do some work and some of that work or most of it will be in Ball high grass and brush where you really need the leggings. It's not like you can walk to where the work is and take em off while you work. Hell where the work will be done is in the snakiest part of the place, on the edge of the brush. Those things are ok for a walk to the blind but have you ever tried to work in them?

It's a hot, buggy, Snakey environment out there until we have some real bonified cool weather.
    Yeah I know, snake leggings. But I need to do some work and some of that work or most of it will be in Ball high grass and brush where you really need the leggings. It's not like you can walk to where the work is and take em off while you work. Hell where the work will be done is in the snakiest part of the place, on the edge of the brush. Those things are ok for a walk to the blind but have you ever tried to work in them?

It's a hot, buggy, Snakey environment out there until we have some real bonified cool weather.

Fortunately on my property it is about 40-50 feet above sea level and is only marshy along the property edge where the water mitigation canals are located and around the few mosquito mitigation sloughs are. Generally, it's relatively dry except in a few depressions when it rains.

There are a lot of cypress tree thickets and a lot of old growth pine forest with minimal undergrowth. An occasional rattler is about all I worry about mostly. I'd be a tad concerned about moccasins right now, but it's not their aggressive mating season and the two I saw last Thursday both high tailed it away from me.
    Fortunately on my property it is about 40-50 feet above sea level and is only marshy along the property edge where the water mitigation canals are located and around the few mosquito mitigation sloughs are. Generally, it's relatively dry except in a few depressions when it rains.

There are a lot of cypress tree thickets and a lot of old growth pine forest with minimal undergrowth. An occasional rattler is about all I worry about mostly. I'd be a tad concerned about moccasins right now, but it's not their aggressive mating season and the two I saw last Thursday both high tailed it away from me.

Unfortunately, in this area and within a couple miles of the bay, where there's lots of Salt Grass and rodents, there's no area within that's snake free. In fact, it's the opposite. Lots of all kinds of Snakes and other Reptiles. Rattlers, Moccasins, Copper Heads, Coral Snakes, Black mambas, well maybe not those, but still lots of potential danger in the brush here until we get good cool weather and it keeps them down to a dull roar. I really want to find me the smallest, lightest 20 gauge I can find so I can sling my rifle and carry the shotgun. I have some boots I wear that come over the ankles, but if you step on a big snake he can very easily flip up and get you high in the thigh.

The Chaps Ned talked about are the best protection because of that. But I dread having to go out and build blinds and set up feeders and building fence around the feeders wearing that.

Into Deer Season it will be in the 40s and 50s most days and I don't worry about snakes then. Even if they're out, which sometimes they can be sunning, they are still very slow then and there's less chance of getting bit. When I was a kid I hunted geese and ducks in all kinds of snaky crap, but it was always cool weather. I've seen a thousand snakes but they were slower than I was. I even shot a snake with my .270 one day that I walked right over. That was luck, but that snake was moving like he had cold molasses in his veins. I've seen a lot of em like that.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Keep us updated.
    Let us know when you draw some blood
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I even shot a snake with my .270 one day that I walked right over.

You left out the part where he crawled away afterwards....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Nope he didn't crawl away. It's hard for something to crawl away with its head missing.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nope he didn't crawl away. It's hard for something to crawl away with its head missing.

It's head exploded in surprise that someone actually carried a single .270Win rifle into the woods without a backup.
    Unfortunately, in this area and within a couple miles of the bay, where there's lots of Salt Grass and rodents, there's no area within that's snake free. In fact, it's the opposite. Lots of all kinds of Snakes and other Reptiles. Rattlers, Moccasins, Copper Heads, Coral Snakes, Black mambas, well maybe not those, but still lots of potential danger in the brush here until we get good cool weather and it keeps them down to a dull roar. I really want to find me the smallest, lightest 20 gauge I can find so I can sling my rifle and carry the shotgun. I have some boots I wear that come over the ankles, but if you step on a big snake he can very easily flip up and get you high in the thigh.

The Chaps Ned talked about are the best protection because of that. But I dread having to go out and build blinds and set up feeders and building fence around the feeders wearing that.

Into Deer Season it will be in the 40s and 50s most days and I don't worry about snakes then. Even if they're out, which sometimes they can be sunning, they are still very slow then and there's less chance of getting bit. When I was a kid I hunted geese and ducks in all kinds of snaky crap, but it was always cool weather. I've seen a thousand snakes but they were slower than I was. I even shot a snake with my .270 one day that I walked right over. That was luck, but that snake was moving like he had cold molasses in his veins. I've seen a lot of em like that.

Most places around here are like that year-round. We lucked out with this property. It's county land that is part of a pig mitigation program (allowing coyote harvest too) in hopes that it can be turned into an equestrian trail property without hogs tearing it all up. Well...that was 1995 and the program still goes...haha. We've got it for a while I'm sure.

The nice part is it is all county maintained...roads, canals, ditches, foot bridges over drainage canals...it's nice. I'll get more pictures tomorrow. I'll be out there from about 8am to 3pm making raccoons sorry they ever ate a kernel of corn from the feeders. I'm going to try and call in a coyote or two as well.

Pigs...adjacent cattle pasture...deer....turkey....rodents...it's ripe coyote/fox/bobcat land and virtually unhunted.
    . Those things are ok for a walk to the blind but have you ever tried to work in them?

Worn them all day hunting rabbits, but, as to work, yes because chain saw chaps are thicker and tougher.

Haven't worked in the saw chaps since last week.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Forget the feeder: get in full camo and put the stalk on 'em!

SmilingPinkMcDullPigAdultSizeCartoonMascotCostumeSuit_1_5.jpg
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »

Did this last year. Damn near shot all the pigs. I prefer a more sporting challenge.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Did this last year. Damn near shot all the pigs. I prefer a more sporting challenge.

Then use a knife this year.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Then use a knife this year.

It was a slingshot.
    Six-Gun wrote: »

HaHaHa!!! Try that in this brush and as soon as you take a step on these dry live oak leaves all the deer will disappear into brush so thick the devil himself won't go there. And Thorns! And Briars! Rosehedge. Nobody hunts like that here. It's impossible to hunt it like that.
    Called in 4 coyote with my new Fox Pro e-caller with motion decoy. I was set up on a fire trail...they popped out about 60 yards away. One of them was decent looking at probably about 25-30 pounds! Shooting window was about 5 seconds tops and I missed just high over him with my AR and Trijicon RMR.

About 10 minutes of calling. Baby cotton tail distress for 5 min, then coyote pup scream for 5 minutes...all over it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You beat his head off with the stock?

He would not use his beloved .270 as a club, I bet he used the knife he carries between his teeth. :rotflmao:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'll bet you he spit the knife out and bit it's head off...
    That was a 5 foot snake. No way i was getting that close. I'll admit that was a lucky shot. But one shot did remove the snake's head. But hell, I was a young pup with great eyes back then. But Diver's right for the wrong reason. If I the snake would have been shorter maybe I would have tried to hit it with the stock, but that thing was a good bit longer than my rifle so no way I was getting that close. I'm not brave enough to be that stupid.