Home Main Category General Firearms

Short barreled rifle question

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 2,599 Senior Member
I have a Thompson Contender and a 14" 30-30 for it. Just for kicks I bought a rifle stock for a price I couldn't pass up with the intention of getting a carbine barrel. I have since moved to Pa, my next door neighbor has lost the use of his left arm. His daughter wants to hunt and he'd like to join her. I was thinking that rifle stock and 30-30 barrel would be just the ticket for him. What do I have to do to make it legal for him to use?
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Go to the Attorny General website or the PGC website or find the office of your local legislater the should have copies of PA. gun laws
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,599 Senior Member
    OK, could I add a muzzle break to add 2"? It has some recoil and that would kill two birds with one stone.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    OK, could I add a muzzle break to add 2"? It has some recoil and that would kill two birds with one stone.
    Yes, that would work, but it would have to be soldered on or otherwise permanently attached in some way.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Does securing a screw-on brake with a roll pin qualify as a "permanent" installation? That would probably be the simplest method of making it legal.
    Jerry
    I am not totally sure. I know guys do that (install a permanent brake or flash hider) on AR's all the time to make their barrels legal. There has to be something out there on it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,033 Senior Member
    You can put the brake on there and pin it, but you have to weld it. Most guys leave the weld unfinished so it's obvious - people will KNOW that it's a permanent installation and not just screwed on.
    I'm just here for snark.
    I was just wondering that since he is handicaped there would be some provision in the law to let him hunt with a SBR
    gunner81 wrote: »
    I was just wondering that since he is handicaped there would be some provision in the law to let him hunt with a SBR
    There is a possibility. But that is a state issue. The big thing is the Federal hoops you have to jump through to possess a short barreled rifle to begin with.
    -Thomas Paine
    I was thinking the same thing. His left arm was injured at work and now just hangs useless. I had the stock on the frame in the house and it is a cool combo.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If I were you I'd get a rifle length barrel if you have a rifle stock for that frame. Otherwise you have the parts to readily assemble an SBR which in the ATFs military me is the same as owning one.
    If that were the case, any of us with AR pistol uppers would be in deep poop since most of us also own AR rifle lowers.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Does securing a screw-on brake with a roll pin qualify as a "permanent" installation? That would probably be the simplest method of making it legal.
    Jerry

As far as I understand, no. Soldering or welding is appropriate.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Jermanator wrote: »
    There is a possibility. But that is a state issue. The big thing is the Federal hoops you have to jump through to possess a short barreled rifle to begin with.
    OK I am convinced the SBR would first have to be registered through the feds before any hunting exemptions by the state
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Just get a Super 16 barrel for it
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I've been researching it this afternoon and the 16" barrel is the most cost effective solution, not cheap but the best solution.

I couldn't find a handicap exception and I don't want to part with the Contender, just help a neighbor.