Home Main Category General Firearms

What makes a Magnum?

2»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    A Magnum...
    tom_selleck_-_magnum_pi.jpg?itok=Q9t5758o
    I think the Ferrari is what makes him.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ya forgot the 'Super Magnum'.............which is even more 'Magnum'

Then there is the 'Extra' Super Magnum'............

And someone will probably come out with the 'Holy Crap' Super Magnum...................if they haven't already done so............
    I was debating calling the .430 SJS the .44 Super Mega Magnum since it beats the crap out of a .445 Super mag.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Ya forgot the 'Super Magnum'.............which is even more 'Magnum'

Then there is the 'Extra' Super Magnum'............

And someone will probably come out with the 'Holy Crap' Super Magnum...................if they haven't already done so............

I'm workin on that, give me a few days. How bout a coke bottle necked down to a phonograph needle?:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I was thinking about Diesel fuel, they had low sulfur diesel, now it's ultra low sulfur diesel. Pretty soon it's gonna be Hella Mega Super Ultra Low sulfur diesel (HMSULSD for short).
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • dlddld Member NE FlaPosts: 467 Member
    Because whoever comes up with the cartridge gets to name it whatever he/she wants to name it, even if the name is misleading.

To understand it, you have to go back to the days of cap and ball revolvers. Unlike modern cartridge revolvers, the chambers in cap and ball revolvers have no "throat". The part where the powder sits and the part where the bullet sits are the same diameter. In fact, the bullet, chamber, and groove diameter of the barrel (the bore) were all the same. Therefore, a .38 caliber cap and ball revolver had a .38" diameter bullet.

The "new" .38s were made with the bore shrunk by twice the thickness of the case wall; which meant about .357" (.360 for the .38 S&W). Because of familiarity, the manufacturers kept the cartridge designation- .38 caliber - the same.

http://www.vintagepistols.com/357_vs_38.html
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    The .36 Cap and ball revolvers shot a .375 diameter ball. Which I think is the reason we arrived a .38 name for a .357 bullet. I don't think there were any revolvers called .38s until the cartridge era. Put a .38 caliber ball in a .38 bored cylinder and it will roll out.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Regarding the .41 Magnum, there was a .41 Special, and still is in wildcat form.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    A Magnum...
    tom_selleck_-_magnum_pi.jpg?itok=Q9t5758o
    I think the Ferrari is what makes him.

I always thought it was the mustache
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TxwheelsTxwheels Member north TexasPosts: 151 Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I always thought it was the mustache

Has to have a Hawaiian shirt too.
    If I don't answer the phone, I'm probably in the Senate taking a POTUS and wiping my Congress
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Txwheels wrote: »
    Has to have a Hawaiian shirt too.

Well I sure a hell am pretty sure it isn't Rosie O'Donnell.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.