Home Main Category General Firearms

Barrel question.

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedO HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
If I have a barrel that's rifled for .177 lead ammo, what can I ream it for, chambering wise?
«1

Replies

  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    If I have a barrel that's rifled for .177 lead ammo, what can I ream it for, chambering wise?

    Why do you say it's for lead?

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm guessing because it's a barrel from a pellet rifle

    This^^^^^. Fairly heavy barrel too. I just figure I can do something with it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    I think that the first thing to do would be to figure out if the barrel is proofed to handle the pressures generated by a cartridge....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I think that the first thing to do would be to figure out if the barrel is proofed to handle the pressures generated by a cartridge....
    I wouldn't even know how to go about that besides comparing it to other rimfire barrels I have that are also steel. Hmmm.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I think that the first thing to do would be to figure out if the barrel is proofed to handle the pressures generated by a cartridge....
    That would be my concern.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I would not use it for a high pressure cartridge. And the expense to figure out what its strength might be would negate using it over buying a barrel made for it.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Ghost-- If you want to play around and not worry about blowing yourself up, Green Mountain has these unturned blanks you can get for $40-$50....

    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/new-gunsmith-edition-raw-barrel-blanks/
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    A pot metal barrel can be "fairly heavy"...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I have taken a couple of pellet rifles apart to salvage the metal
    they are kind of uniform thin tube to ream it out for a chamber and a tube within a tube.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Ghost-- If you want to play around and not worry about blowing yourself up, Green Mountain has these unturned blanks you can get for $40-$50....

    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/new-gunsmith-edition-raw-barrel-blanks/
    Sweet. Thanks Jerm. Takes all the guess work out of it. I'm no gunsmith but I'm sure I can get there through trial and error. Would be better if my old man was still here. He was not only a machinist but also a metallurgist.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I just looked in 3 such barrels and it seemed they had Polygonal rifling. I wonder if that means no high pressure with lead.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Looking around their site, I am not seeing the barrels I am talking about. They have them but they may be out of stock right now. That, and their site is hard to navigate-- root around there long enough and you may find them. I got some .50, 41, .375, and .430 barrels from them for pretty cheap.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I just looked in 3 such barrels and it seemed they had Polygonal rifling. I wonder if that means no high pressure with lead.
    Not sure. Said barrel is meant to push a lead pellet at 1200 fps. Of course that doesn't tell anything of pressures in said barrel.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I just figure I can do something with it.

    Use plenty of Vaseline or K-Y!
    Jerry
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    But I will also add, I'm pretty knowledged in metallurgy and the barrel I have is solid steel, no pot metal and not lined by a softer metal. It's steel to the rifling.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Use plenty of Vaseline or K-Y!
    Jerry
    I prefer syl glide.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    A pot metal barrel can be "fairly heavy"...

    True, just ask Taurus owners :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Didn't people used to make zip guns from old car antenna tubes?
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    There's a reason even the lowly .22 LR barrels are 4-5 times thicker than pellet rifle barrel.
    However, I'm not one to cock block a dumb idea. Knock yourself out.:up:
    Sweet. They make safety glasses, welders gloves and a face mask for jackasses like me. Only one way to test a shark suit.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Btw, my Mosin barrel is about as thick as the .177 barrel in question. Just sayin.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I am not going to say it is a good idea. Or safe. But no matter what you do, get it on video!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am not going to say it is a good idea. Or safe. But no matter what you do, get it on video!
    Haha. I will. Nothing like going viral on the interwebs. Of course y'all know I'm going to have to make a lower with action to house my barrel? Of course in still waiting for someone to post a link for a reamer in .17 that I can use.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Haha. I will. Nothing like going viral on the interwebs. Of course y'all know I'm going to have to make a lower with action to house my barrel? Of course in still waiting for someone to post a link for a reamer in .17 that I can use.

    I've used an old pellet rifle with a barrel drilled for a fuse and black powder to launch pellets. The action lasted about oh....2 shots.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned O HI OPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Research the rifle from a Beamen pellet rifle and then get back to me.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,832 Senior Member
    Find five more................
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Research the rifle from a Beamen pellet rifle and then get back to me.

    Is it a Beeman Bear Claw, Elkhorn, Grizzly, Mach 12.5, Predator, Ram XT 51R, R52, Silver Kodiak, Silver Panther, Teton, Teton Gas Ram Air, Wolverine, Zombie, Marksman, or Rebel? They're all a bit different as to barrel dimensions.

    And anything under 1/2" diameter is iffy, especially if going with a .17 HMR. Even the little .17 Mach 2 generates more pressure than a .22 LR. Barrel steel in air rifles and barrel steel in rimfire/centerfire rifles are both of steel, but not the same composition/strength. Have fun and don't lose any bits and pieces. The place Jermanator linked has the reamers for the .17 cal. rimfires for rent.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Research the rifle from a Beamen pellet rifle and then get back to me.
    .117 convertible to .22 is where two of the barrels I looked at came from
    they use an O ring to seal the breach,
    so it can't be for high pressure.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member KentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I wouldn't even know how to go about that besides comparing it to other rimfire barrels I have that are also steel. Hmmm.
    Make a barrel liner???Rechamber to.17M-2 Jerm has the best answer.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Don't forget to repeat the magic incantation before firing the first round:

    HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS!

    :drool:
    Jerry
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement