Load development and drop confirmation 284 Winchester XP-100

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 6,978 Senior Member
Getting my 284 Win XP ready for elk and mule deer this year. The stock was done by one of our own here, that is known for being vertically challenged among other things:jester: 162 grain A-Max at 2625 fps.
Recently I sent my barreled action off to Chris Rhodes for him to cerakote it.
Some like the blued action and stainless barrel look, but I think this just looks classy now.
While getting a hard zero and confirming drops out to 700 yards, I met a young man who is a dedicated mule deer hunter.
He was getting his rifle ready for high country mule deer hunting. He had never shot at 400 yards with any kind of weapon.
After working on some shooting techniques with his rifle, I asked him if he would like to shoot my XP.
He said, "Yes!" I suggested we shoot at 500 yards, and he told me he had never shot that far before. I said that was no problem and walked him through on how to shoot the XP, and let him practice several times by dry firing. I only had two rounds left.
He shot twice and hit twice. Just under 3". He thought it was so cool that he now wants a XP for high country mule deer hunting.
He shot his smallest group ever at 200 yards - 1.5 inches with his rifle (A Rem 700 chambered in 270 Win./factory ammo) as well.
Before this he was satisfied with 2-3" groups at 100 yards.
I think the hook is set:jester:
The smile on his face was priceless when he was telling his hunting buddy what he had just accomplished.
03E2B20B-5B3D-4CF1-8FAA-8B431C98A957_zpszzuy7vza.jpg
284%20Win%20centergrip_zpsxdv90kkw.jpg
284%20Win%202%20shots%20%20500%20yards%20just%20under%203%20inches_zpsuic7kjqr.jpg
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Great work dialing him in and giving him a shot to break a barrier. Your gun came out beautifully, by the way. That ceratcote looks excellent and adds to unique style of the platform. People seem immediately fascinated when an XP-100 shows up at the range. Over here in Ohio, a state that only allows a handful of rifle cartridges (straight-walled, at that) during their whitetail gun season, an XP-100 rested on a public shooting bench might as well be a UFO landing.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Thanks.
    Love that statement!
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    an XP-100 rested on a public shooting bench is might as well be a UFO landing.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Thanks.
    Love that statement!

Good, maybe he'll have an XP-100 built in .270?

___:yikes:___:fan:___:applause:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    You still have time to repent from your earlier transgression:whip2:
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm growing increasingly tired of these SP posts.
    I'm also kicking myself 5+ years later for not snagging a Savage Striker with scope for 300$.
    In short, I kinda hate you. :tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Just make a Wyoming visit during WY-SHOT, then you will know exactly what you want.
    I will set you up to shoot a XP during the shoot. We should have around 30 in attendance this coming June.
    Lots of toys to play with:silly::roll2:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Once he learns how fast the 270 drops....I doubt it seriously:silly::roll2:
    snake284 wrote: »
    Good, maybe he'll have an XP-100 built in .270?

___:yikes:___:fan:___:applause:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Good for him!

and you
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Thanks
    This guy was easy to teach.
    Nice to have that every once in awhile.
    Zee wrote: »
    Good for him!

and you
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks
    This guy was easy to teach.
    Nice to have that every once in awhile.

Of course he was easy to teach. He's a very smart guy, or else he wouldn't have owned a .270.

:tooth::tooth::tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Ernie: I never though about this, but I presume that you had a stainless/blued combo there before the Ceracote and that the Ceracote has no issues sticking to stainless. Is that correct? I never worked with the stuff, so I haven't a clue.
    Cerakote works great on stainless and chrome moly steel.
    Chris did a great job on it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    A closer look, just for you:hug:
    B5445544-4287-4E5A-AE17-AE1AB0EC953A_zpswd1oqiou.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Cerakote works great on stainless and chrome moly steel.
    Chris did a great job on it.

I have a Howa Action with a Krieger barrel in .250 Savage that's one of my very favorite rifles. It's a Bead Blasted satin finished Stainless. I would think if degreased properly it would hold something like Cerakote well. If I Cerakoted the barrel would I need to cook it?

I don't have an oven that long.
    I would send to someone who knows what they're doing
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have a Howa Action with a Krieger barrel in .250 Savage that's one of my very favorite rifles. It's a Bead Blasted satin finished Stainless. I would think if degreased properly it would hold something like Cerakote well. If I Cerakoted the barrel would I need to cook it?

I don't have an oven that long.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    A closer look, just for you:hug:

Smooth as silk. Very nicely done (and Zee's stock paint work, as always, looks great!)

Amen. From the little I have seen of it, Ceratcote will either look great or be completely hosed up with no fix available once its screwed up.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    You gotta teach me how to do that to do that Ernie......:drool: I am ate up with the SP's right now, but the longest range I have around is 200 yards.
    Twa,
    Think June 2016 (WY-SHOT) and you will be doing the same thing.
    twa wrote: »
    You gotta teach me how to do that to do that Ernie......:drool: I am ate up with the SP's right now, but the longest range I have around is 200 yards.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    with proper surface prep cerakote will stick to all metals, plastics, and even wood. I have never done wood but they say it works.

I know someone with a walk in oven......if your bad I can put you in there and turn up the heat!:yikes:
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!

Oh thank you sir for that wonderful vote of confidence. The reason I ask is I know some of those two part coatings don't require time in an oven. I may not can shoot into the next zip code but I can paint and coat things as well as you or anyone on here. I just have never used a product like Cerakote.
    Wasn't trying to offend but it does take heat for it to cure
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Wasn't trying to offend but it does take heat for it to cure

Sorry, I took what you said wrong. I'm old and sensitive. My bad and I apologize for my Smart ass moment.

However, I do have the assistance of someone who is good, really good at stuff like this. But he nor I have any experience with Cerakote. From what I've heard on here it sounds to be the better of these coatings.

I do want to do something with that SS barrel. I think I would like it black, but I'm open to color suggestions.

If I do this, then I know what my next step will be, going with a B&C stock, which in the beginning of this project was my original idea.
    cpj wrote: »
    Read up on the process. It's far more involved than simply painting it. Could you do it? Probably. Do you have the equipment? No.

I'll do a search and look over the procedure. My son in law is very good at things like this and has Duracoated a couple of Glocks with great results. I think we can stumble through it. But although I've done a lot of stock work and bedding and have used Belgian Blue and browned a barrel once, and even painted a couple with Krylon, I'm greener than an Irish hillside at painting stocks with an epoxy based paint. Maybe it's false confidence on my part, but I've never been afraid to try something like this. Maybe I should be. We shall see.
    I watched the Video and am not enthused to do this. Too much equipment needed and I don't have a blaster. When I ordered my barrel from Krieger I requested it be bead blasted. The video spoke of doing it with a certain grit with a special blasting media. I think this is a bit more than I want to bite off. AND I don't have an oven. I think I'll look into something else.