Home Main Category General Firearms

Saw a program called 'Extreme Yachts' and guess what they were using for ballast?

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberA true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
The design of the boat called for 60,000lb of ballast...........and the builder holds up a bucket of 9mm projectiles encased in resin to show what they used for ballast. :yikes:

Been trying to figure out how many 9mm projectiles it would take to make 60,000lb.................

I guess when you are having a $30m boat built you can afford to use whatever you like.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    115 gr, 124 gr or 147 gr?

115 gr = 3,652,172

124 gr = 3,387,096

147 gr = 2,857,142

Give or take a few...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • dlddld Member NE FlaPosts: 467 Member
    did he shoot them first, maybe he had a 9mm machine gun:jester:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    More sexy than a water tank, but I'd of went with .45 ACP...it's an American thing, I reckon.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Lead has been used for ballast for a long time in boat keels. Using the bullets and resin would make it fit the space better with less unused space, and a tight fit bonded to the hull. I guess he must have had a good deal on the bullets. Round lead balls would have worked as well.

At one time I considered going to FL and salvaging sailboats after hurricanes, and abandoned sailboats. The keels are usually filled with lead to make them self righting. And there's other parts that are worth the time to salvage. Too much paperwork to do to get ownership of an abandoned boat, though, so I decided against it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I'd figure tungsten would be more economical and take up less space, leaving more room to elegantly package other necessary systems.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,709 Senior Member
    For much of human history, a boat has been a symbol of exploration, wealth, and virility. . .

To us bullet casters, it's a symbol of something to steal the keel from.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    For much of human history, a boat has been a symbol of exploration, wealth, and virility. . .

To us bullet casters, it's a symbol of something to steal the keel from.

Most definitely! A sailboat keel is one big haul of lead in one chunk. Even back when I was considering working salvaging abandoned sailboats, the lead in the keel would have been a lot of money in one chunk. I went to school and learned to split atoms instead. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    dld wrote: »
    did he shoot them first, maybe he had a 9mm machine gun:jester:

You mean like an Uzi?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    More sexy than a water tank, but I'd of went with .45 ACP...it's an American thing, I reckon.

HaHaHaHa!!! You just gave my argument for a .270 or even a .30-06 as opposed to a 6.5 or 7mm.:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.