Home Main Category General Firearms

Armslist deal too good to be true $700 unfired S&W 27-2 Nickel 8 3/8"

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4729453/orlando-florida-handguns-for-sale--s-w-27-2-83-8-nickel-unfired-

"UNFIRED S & W model 27-2 Nickel with presentation case, tools and papers.Caliber 357 Mag.Barrel Length 8 inch ,Capacity 6 ,Frame Finish Nickel.. Will ship ,California sale is ok"

$700 bucks, yep way too good to be true. Even though I was hoping it could be. So a google search revealed the same wording and the same pic was used on Gun broker. Enlarge both pics, identical.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509263687

Notice the two pics similarities, the cards tilted the exact same way in the case, the knife sharpener offer and envelopes in the presentation case lid. Chances of that are oh lets see 1 in a billion or more.

"Seller" listed as Orlando, I contacted and offered to drive and meet him there or anyplace in-between. He sent me a message saying he had just recently moved to Miami and would ship the revolver. I emailed back saying I have friend there who would like to look at the gun for me in a gun shop that would ship it to a local gun for me.

Haven't heard anything back, of course.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    How to tell if an Armslist ad is a scam...........besides a gut feeling that something just ain't Kosher!

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/3cbat7/how_to_tell_if_that_armslist_ad_is_a_scam/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    Good info. I wish I had that before I got scammed.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Good info. I wish I had that before I got scammed.

I guess I knew in my heart of hearts it was too good to be true. Still kept up hope.

The only far fetched explanation I could come up with is the guy may really have one he inherited or something, but had had no pic and just took one off another site. Highly improbable.

How were you ripped off Bobby?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/4729453/orlando-florida-handguns-for-sale--s-w-27-2-83-8-nickel-unfired-

"UNFIRED S & W model 27-2 Nickel with presentation case, tools and papers.Caliber 357 Mag.Barrel Length 8 inch ,Capacity 6 ,Frame Finish Nickel.. Will ship ,California sale is ok"

$700 bucks, yep way too good to be true. Even though I was hoping it could be. So a google search revealed the same wording and the same pic was used on Gun broker. Enlarge both pics, identical.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509263687

Notice the two pics similarities, the cards tilted the exact same way in the case, the knife sharpener offer and envelopes in the presentation case lid. Chances of that are oh lets see 1 in a billion or more.

"Seller" listed as Orlando, I contacted and offered to drive and meet him there or anyplace in-between. He sent me a message saying he had just recently moved to Miami and would ship the revolver. I emailed back saying I have friend there who would like to look at the gun for me in a gun shop that would ship it to a local gun for me.

Haven't heard anything back, of course.

If you hear back, let me know, I can check for you.
    Of course my money says the so called seller is history
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    If you here back, let me know, I can check for you.
    Of course my money says the so called seller is history

Thanks, I had you or Big Dans in mind down that way.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I'm your huckleberry....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I'm your huckleberry....

D

Thanks.

Also, when the Armslist "Seller" said CA sale is OK that raised some questions for me, why would they even bother saying that if they are listed as in Orlando and no history of any previous items listed. Been different if it was store or seller with a good reputation with many previous reviews.
    Kudos to Armslist, I emailed them less than 30 minutes ago and they already removed the listing and flagged the listing as a scam!:applause::applause::applause:

Man, I think people that do this sort of thing are worse than Horse Thieves :angry::angry:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    does armslist have a fraud reporting feature? if so, report it.
    I had a similar experience on craigslist. Found a boat that seemed way under priced but inquired anyway. story was the usual, divorce sale, just need it gone......supposedly located in Omaha, NE. Started doing a little research on the model and found an ad for the exact same boat right down to the hull numbers for sale at a dealer in Wisconsin. called the dealer in Wisconsin and asked if they were aware their boat was for sale in Omaha, they laughed and thanked me for letting them know.
    After playing with the CL seller a bit more I reported the ad and it was gone the next day.

Sako
    Yes, on Armslist just click on it. And I did report it, see my above post.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    Yes, on Armslist just click on it. And I did report it, see my above post.

Saw that, you were doing so while I was asking the question:tooth:

Sako
    I agree, if enough of us report them, even if we aren't even dealing with them ourselves and let the right folks know a possible scam is being pulled it will cut down on the thieves having access to honest folks on gun sites.

Sure there will always be some minor disputes and some bickering even on honest deals.

Best to keep them policed up best we can by reporting/administrators by investigating so legitimate sites can stay up and running.

Should not just be an option, but something we all should do as responsible law abiding gun owners/sellers when we have a VALID complaint, see a posting that is suspicious.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    It's a scam. Some of the new scammers are very elaborate. I had one guy who was so good that I even talked to him on the phone and he sent me what was supposedly a copy of his FFL. I looked up the FFL number though and it was for a shop in a completely different state. He was THAT close to getting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Seattle, WaPosts: 714 Senior Member
    Does Gunbroker have any guarantee or fraud protection built in? I only ever used Armslist for face to face transactions back in the good old days when that was legal in my state. Do you guys ever insist on moving the transaction to a site that has fraud protections if there is such a thing? There has to be a better way than relying on a 3rd parties' opinion over a telephone call to verify everything is kosher...
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Why so long a barrel, that so when you run out of bullets you can hammer them to death?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    NO one should expect an unfired Model 27 to be sold for $700.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I stick with Gunbroker, GunAuction, or GunsAmerica and that's it. I've bought from all three, and found them to be honest and reliable. No need to go anywhere else.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Sunny FloridaPosts: 448 Member
    Big Chief,
    It is a scam and a half. Had about the same thing happen to me on Armslist. A guy in South Fla selling a NIB Les Baer Police Special AR-15 for $700. Wanted me to pay by Pay Pal Friends & Family. They do not hold the funds that way. I offered to come buy it FTF. He said that would be tough as he was in Key West. I said I would make the drive from Tampa. He would not answer the phone and only texted. I checked the area code and it was from Indiana. I flagged it and the moderators yanked the ad. Be careful.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    Does Gunbroker have any guarantee or fraud protection built in? I only ever used Armslist for face to face transactions back in the good old days when that was legal in my state. Do you guys ever insist on moving the transaction to a site that has fraud protections if there is such a thing? There has to be a better way than relying on a 3rd parties' opinion over a telephone call to verify everything is kosher...
    My dealings with gunbroker on a scam artist gave me the feeling that they don't care much. I don't know if I will ever use them again, you make your on call.
    I've dealt with Gunbroker a few times and have always got exactly what was advertised. You've got to read the ad, however, and know what you're looking at. The Model 27 was not offered by a scam artist, as there was no art involved in it at all. It's like the Nigerian prince offering you a share of $121 million.

If you buy a Rolex from a street corner vendor for $100 and expect it to be genuine, you're inviting getting scammed.
    Gene L wrote: »
    NO one should expect an unfired Model 27 to be sold for $700.

Why not, that is about twice what they sold fer.

I would, it can happen and that is honestly about what they are worth before the scares, shortages and artificial inflation...... that is until I poked around at what folks think they are worth and asking on other sites.

More power to them if they can sell them for what I've seen poking around the web.
    Good luck in finding an unfired 27 nickel for $700, regardless of what they sold for when new. Or any unfired S&W .357. The sale price of a gun or just about anything collectible has little to do with what they're worth today. I've got a Colt Official Police that sold for $30 or so in 1935 and it's in virtually unfired shape, and it's worth $800 bluebook. Model 27s have always been worth a lot of money, and one in a presentation box? Give me a break.
    I know what they are worth, I have a pre-model 27 with 8 3/8" and a letter from the S&W historian on it.

I also had a 4" model 27 4" I gave to one of my nephews.

Not near as much as they are asking these days, at least, not to me.

Are you kidding me, $1000 at the most and that is stretching it.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/934166314/S-W-Pre-Model-27-357-Revolver.htm

Here is one in GA now at $650 reserve met..........probably could get it for 7-800. More inline with what I think they are worth.

True, not NIB, unfired or in a fancy box.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=508243787#PIC
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    It's just a matter of shopping for the right deal. I bought my 27-2 (4" barrel) for $500 off GB less than 6 mos ago.

Luis

ps. But I saw a lot of them go for $600-700 while waiting for the right deal. Near NIB with presentation case, $900+ for sure.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    How were you ripped off Bobby?

Responded to an ad for someone selling a Springfield XD-s 9mm out of Pennsylvania. Sent the money before I got confirmation from the local dealer for the transfer. Took me for an embarrassing amount of money.

I've only bought from dealers since, even before the law in Washington was changed.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Responded to an ad for someone selling a Springfield XD-s 9mm out of Pennsylvania. Sent the money before I got confirmation from the local dealer for the transfer. Took me for an embarrassing amount of money.

I've only bought from dealers since, even before the law in Washington was changed.

Man, that sucks.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    There are deals out there. I almost picked up a pristine 27 in the presentation case for $799 at an LGS in Florida just last year. I ultimately passed on it because it was a 6" barrel and I really want a 4".

Don't tell Gene that :tooth:
    Unfired nickel? I'll take it.
  • StenfieldStenfield Member PennsylvaniaPosts: 41 Member
    Not to hijack this thread. But. In your gentlemen's opinion. What would a 27-2. 4" blued. In 90%+ condition. Only bad spots are on both sides of the muzzle a little bit of holster wear maybe 1/4" and a slight scratch on on of the factory grips it may have had a few boxes through it hasn't been fired in the last 30 yrs or more! Your opinions greatly appreciated! !
  • StenfieldStenfield Member PennsylvaniaPosts: 41 Member
    Thank you Sir for your reply!