Home Main Category Clubhouse

Infrared heaters?

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 479 Member
I keep getting ads for these heaters. Supposedly an infrared bulb (or several) heats up and dissipates heat to the room at a very low cost. Does anyone have one ? Does it do as the ads say it will?
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Lower the thermostat 10 degrees and put on a sweater! I'll bet you'll save more money that way than with any sort of gimmick heater!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    Those infrared heaters will suck a hickey on your wall outlet. I was given one, ONE, of those heaters by a friend (it was a buy one, get one free deal). Plugged it in for a month last winter set on Power Save mode which was 70°. At the end of the month my power bill was $100 higher. And it was only being used to keep the bedroom and bathroom warm. I unplugged it and set it in a closet. Electric blanket is much cheaper, and I turn on a small electric heater in the bathroom to warm it up before a shower and turn it off afterwards. MUCH cheaper.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    How many Watts do they use? Old folks next door swear by theirs, but they stay in one room mostly like Wambli said.

A house full of kids and folks that move around a lot would be different.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    They work ok, not great. I have a craftsman you can set the temp to what ever temp you want and it auto shuts off when it gets there. They don't put put tons of heat at once but slow and steady is a better description. I prefer the radiator oil filled one I have.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Gas heat is much cheaper than electric. But for one cold room, cheap oil filled heaters works just as well. We had one with a timer so we could leave it plugged in all of the time but shut itself off while at we were at work or in bed.

If you make the room with the themostat hotter, it will make the rest of the house colder (ie.... toilet seat!)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Wambli nailed it on his first post.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Just set your recliner on fire. Instant, direct heat.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Thanks guys. Your insights always appreciated.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.