Home Main Category Clubhouse

Off on another adventure today......

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 17,086 Senior Member
Kelli and I left the house this morning and headed over to the big lake and found her acting up a little...

Ludington Pierhead Light

DSCF1917_zps95nhscuf.jpg

DSCF1919_zpsthgukvdm.jpg

Then we hiked about 2 miles up the beach to the Big Sable Point Lighthouse

DSCF1927_zpsnmkzozxs.jpg

DSCF1936_zpssawha6ab.jpg

Summer has officially fled the scene....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,508 Senior Member
    Muy nice.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Also...whale watching has been unproductive so far....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I like Lighthouses and their history. Neat pics. You ever take a boat across that big pond?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Watch out for the ghost of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I like Lighthouses and their history. Neat pics. You ever take a boat across that big pond?
    The ferry, long time ago

Here's some of the history on Big Sable...

DSCF1939_zpsx6ydopdg.jpg

I've been across on the S.S. Badger, a car ferry out of Ludington MI to Manitowoc WI..
    Badger_zpsfj1k9qhu.jpg

.I've also done a big chunk of the Lake Michigan coastline in a kayak....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Also...whale watching has been unproductive so far....

Which Walmart were you in?

Cool pics btw. I enjoy looking at lighthouses because of what they signify ( Spending a lot of time on the water has that effect on some people, Mark is the same)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    NN wrote: »
    Watch out for the ghost of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald

Wrong Lake...She went down in Lake Superior off Whitefish Point. One the other hand there a 48 wrecks off Big Sable Point..so plenty of ghosts wandering around there as well...
    orchidman wrote: »

Cool pics btw. I enjoy looking at lighthouses because of what they signify ( Spending a lot of time on the water has that effect on some people, Mark is the same)

Apparently there were some "educators" in Utah that heard about whale-watching in the Great Lakes (from a farcical website) ...took it to heart and started teaching their students about the whale populations in Lake Michigan...and continued even after they were notified they had been duped...
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    An interesting tidbit....Aircraft Carriers in Lake Michigan...Really...they were the U.S.S. Wolverine (IX-64) and the U.S.S. Sable (IX-81) Converted Paddlewheel Freighters...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member

That song resonates with anyone who has ever spent much time at all on the water...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,591 Senior Member
    Beautiful. I love lighthouses.

They always take you home...
    Can one navigate a boat through rivers, canals or waterways to the Atlantic from there?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,927 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Wrong Lake...She went down in Lake Superior off Whitefish Point. One the other hand there a 48 wrecks off Big Sable Point..so plenty of ghosts wandering around there as well...

My Uncle was reporting live on the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald, he was working in Duluth at a TV station and spoke with the captain of the Arthur M. Anderson by radio phone, the captain was the last person to se the Edmund Fitzgerald before it sank, my uncle died Sunday.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    My Uncle was reporting live on the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald, he was working in Duluth at a TV station and spoke with the captain of the Arthur M. Anderson by radio phone, the captain was the last person to se the Edmund Fitzgerald before it sank, my uncle died Sunday.

May he RIP :angel2: :angel2:
    Can one navigate a boat through rivers, canals or waterways to the Atlantic from there?

Yep...Up to the Straits of Mackinac into Lake Huron, then downbound to Lake Erie and Lake Ontario to the St. Lawrence Seaway...
    This is how we got several invasive species in the Lakes - Blue Water ships pumping their ballast into the lakes...

Interesting fact, sometimes blue water sailors get seasick on the Great Lakes....

May he Rest in Peace.

We had a friend who, when he was young "borrowed" his Dad's boat and set out on a cruise on Lake Michigan. Got lost and ran the boat out of gas. He was adrift out there for quite a spell and was rescued by the Edmund Fitzgerald that was upbound from Chicago to Duluth...

My wifes family has quite a connection with the Lakes. Before there was a bridge across the Straits, Kelli's Grandfather was Chief Cook on the Chief Wawatam...a rail car ferry that moved rail cars from the Lower to the Upper Peninsula and back again... Her Great Grandfather was a Boatwright who built sailing ships...
    Thanks guys, my uncle was a good man, died way to young, been trying to keep a straight face since Sunday.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RivernymphRivernymph Member Posts: 80 Member

Our deepest condolences on the passing of your uncle. May he rest in sweet peace.
    I ain't afraid to love a man. I ain't afraid to shoot him, either. --Annie Oakley
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 783 Senior Member
    You are right in my neck of the woods. Let me know if you are going to be around for a while and perhaps we could meet up.
    Thanks guys, my uncle was a good man, died way to young, been trying to keep a straight face since Sunday.
    You have our deepest condolences. :angel2:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    The one near me looks like there is a sale on krill.

I was speeding in the parking lot when a Green peace zodiac cut me off.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Thanks for the sympathy folks, my uncle was quite the guy, kicks my butt to see my aunt and my cousins crying, had to leave early today because of other obligations, there was a 16 of Old Style at my aunts house waiting to be drained with my extended family...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Old Style
    That brings back memories! The first time I ever got legally served in a bar (age 14) it was Old Style. Wisconsin has some decent drinking laws! I got an invitation to a family reunion in the mail yesterday for next July. I can't wait to go.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That brings back memories! The first time I ever got legally served in a bar (age 14) it was Old Style. Wisconsin has some decent drinking laws! I got an invitation to a family reunion in the mail yesterday for next July. I can't wait to go.

G. Heilman made the good stuff back in the day, Old Style was Special Export "light".