Home Main Category General Firearms

Well, this is interesting and disappointing: EOTech

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberLiving in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
Seems that they have parallax and shifting zero issues that are temperature influenced, about 4 MOA at extreme temperatures. Further, getting the sight to a more moderate temperature might not correct the shifting zero. Further there's been noted a 4 MOA parallax error at 70 F if your face is off-axis to the sight.

Overview article.
http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/30/something-is-amiss-at-l3-warrior-systems-eotech/

Military Safety of Use Message detailing temperature extremes and parallax error.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Final-SAFETY-OF-USE-MESSAGE-14-September-2015-Copy.pdf
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    I feel bad for our troops issued these pieces of garbage.

I've never liked them and will never own them.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    I like the reticle on the EOTech. With my eyes it's easier to pick up than a dot, triangle, or whatever. If I concentrate I can see the central dot for fine aiming, otherwise I use the outer circle for close-in stuff. But for me I use a Bushnell red dot on my AR for plinking.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    I was extremely lucky to get mine for a fraction of its worth.Figured it was a chinese knock off when I made the purchase but considered the AR a range toy so was not concerned. Had a problem with only half of the red dot reflecting and called them up. Serial number was verified and they sent me a shipping label.
    Sent it in and a few days later received a brand new one, so I guess it was real. I like mine a lot and hope that I dont run unto that problem.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I think I will just avoid those extreme temperatures.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    Probably not an issue for the average user, but if an LEO's carrying it in their trunk or a solider in, say, Iraq or Afghanistan may not be able to avoid some of those temperatures.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Anyone who's ever asked my opinion on the matter knows that I've always been a fan of Aimpoint over EoTech. When talking in terms of battery life and durability one is measured in "years and kilotons" and the other is measured in "hours and feet off the ground when dropped", Aimpoint is always going to get my vote.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    I have never been an EOTech fan. My astigmatism makes the reticle look quite blurry. My working gun wears an Aimpoint CompM4 and my personal blaster wears an ACOG TA-33.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Probably not an issue for the average user, but if an LEO's carrying it in their trunk or a solider in, say, Iraq or Afghanistan may not be able to avoid some of those temperatures.

The desert is where I could see this being a major issue. Even if you zero it in the high heat to correct for the drift, Middle Eastern deserts can easiky see 40 degree F temp shift overnight (and the enemy isn't averse to conducting a night offensive last time I checked)
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    The desert is where I could see this being a major issue. Even if you zero it in the high heat to correct for the drift, Middle Eastern deserts can easiky see 40 degree F temp shift overnight (and the enemy isn't averse to conducting a night offensive last time I checked)

And the trunk of my patrol car is 120-140 degrees easily.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    And the trunk of my patrol car is 120-140 degrees easily.
    Yeah, that might be an issue.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    The cold thing is -40 F. Is that really cold, or am I misreading it? And 122 F is hotter than combat temps. I don't see this as being much of an issue but maybe I'm wrong. Let's not form a lynch mob here. And don't store your Eotech in your hot car trunk.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I guess I am glad I settled on Aimpoint for my needs. I never liked the Eotech. It always seemed fuzzy, and my eye acquired the Aimpoint dot much faster than the Eotech chevron.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Anyone who's ever asked my opinion on the matter knows that I've always been a fan of Aimpoint over EoTech. When talking in terms of battery life and durability one is measured in "years and kilotons" and the other is measured in "hours and feet off the ground when dropped", Aimpoint is always going to get my vote.

Pretty much this. A rapid response sight that you have to take the time to turn on and off at the start and closure of hostilities pretty much fails as a rapid response sight, IMO. If it can't handle the potential temperature range of a patrol car or the knocks and dings of simply getting in and out of one, it's not much of a police sight. If U.S. Marines regularly break them though actions other than deliberate, directed efforts, the military probably doesn't need them.

They have a great concept, I just don't think it's quite ready for "The Show".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I guess I am glad I settled on Aimpoint for my needs. I never liked the Eotech. It always seemed fuzzy, and my eye acquired the Aimpoint dot much faster than the Eotech chevron.
    Just for clarification, but EOTech uses a dot in a circle. I believe it's Trijicon that uses a chevron.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    Just for clarification, but EOTech uses a dot in a circle. I believe it's Trijicon that uses a chevron.

EOTech has a circle with a dot. On the Trijicon ACOG you can choose between quite a few reticles, but I do believe the NSN model does indeed use the chevron (my TA-33, for example, has a green crosshair and a BDC calibrated for SS109 out of a 14.5" barrel)

holoreticle.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    My apologies. Regardless the Eotech is fuzy to my eye. I have never used an ACOG.
    Just clarifying.
    I'm just here for snark.
    :beer:
    Just clarifying.