Home Main Category General Firearms

6.5-300 Wby.....So this happened today....

13»

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,599 Senior Member
    Is there a practical hunting niche for a rifle in this caliber? Is Weatherby trying to sell with those with more money than brains again? Is I see it, it might make a good bench gun but..... Hunting? Sheep? Antelope? there are cheaper better cartridge/rifle combos out there.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    Is there a practical hunting niche for a rifle in this caliber? Is Weatherby trying to sell with those with more money than brains again? Is I see it, it might make a good bench gun but..... Hunting? Sheep? Antelope? there are cheaper better cartridge/rifle combos out there.

Weatherby has never been a bastion of practicality. I think the .340 Weatherby is as close to practical as they come and even that caliber is surrounded by more practical and reasonable calibers price-wise.

It's a "buy it if you want it" thing. I bought the older Savage 110 rebarreled for .240 Weatherby. I won't burn a kernel of powder in that chambering and I'll be rebarreling it for a different caliber.

All Weatherby cartridges for me are "meh".
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Weatherby has never been a bastion of practicality. I think the .340 Weatherby is as close to practical as they come and even that caliber is surrounded by more practical and reasonable calibers price-wise.
    In all fairness to Weatherby, they were not all bright lights and loud music. Take the .300 WBY Mag., It was nothing but a .300 H&H improved. When the .300 Wby came out, I believe improved cartridges were the order of the day. I've heard people on here sing the praises of the STW or the Remington Ultramag. Why? Because they want something hotter than the next guy has. That's what the Weatherby was all about. There was and is still a market for that. Some people even actually make use of all that extra Umph and use it for long range hunting, shooting the elk across the canyon or the deer across the river. Most of us aren't into that. But some of us are. However, personally, If I'm going to shoot at elk OR deer at 600-1000 yards, I want the mostist I can get. I want that bullet to have as much energy as possible when it hits that deer or elk, I don't care what anybody says about energy not what kills. I don't believe that. The energy left in that bullet causes it to do its thing. So if I'm going to shoot at ultra long ranges, I want all the energy I can muster in that bullet when it hits the target. So yeah, if I'm doing that, I would feel better if I had something like a Weatherby.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,599 Senior Member
    The Weatherby improvements IIRC were a spin off of PO Ackley's work. When I was young I use to drool over them. The beautiful well finished wood and fit made my heart throb. Later as I learned more about practical bullet ballistics and performance I questioned the fascination. Weatherby made some fine looking rifles but in the real world you'd be afraid to take them into the field. In western Pa where I grew up there are some long shots but they are few and far between most to 400 yards. Out west there are some truly long shots but do you really want to carry a rifle that heavy? For that reason I see the practicality of a short mags lighter weight if you can handle the increased recoil. For elk and moose I can see the need for large bore and heavier bullets but 500 yards on an animal that big? Get a lighter rifle and stalk in a little closer. Ya have to walk all the way over there to get the damn thing after you shoot it anyway!

As a grown man I'm waiting for my last niche rifle and childhood dream. A custom Mauser. It will be a bean field gun but I still don't fully understand the bigger faster better thing. It will be chambered in 6.5-06. I like the slightly odd things.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    Well, Roy started rethinking cartridges the same way Nosler came about the Partition bullet,....a lost animal, and how can I improve things so I don't lose another. Nosler was a moose, Weatherby was a mule deer. IIRC Roy was the first one to use the Nosler Partition in factory ammo, both quite a bit back before most of this forum's members were born.

Jay nailed it on the history, the Weatherby Wright, and from one of the articles this chambering was made into a custom gun that is in the Weatherby museum. I think they would have brought it out back then if it wouldn't have brought down sales on the 257 and 270 Wby's, with the currently available bullets AND currently available powders. Plus the 257 was Roy's favorite, and the 270 his 1st, probably hard to convince him to green light that project.

They are offering it in the Ultra Light, so with that option the weight is not a big problem. If they are smart, in a year or so after introduction, they offer it in the Vanguard line. If they do that, I think they'll move some guns. With a 7.5" drop at 400 and nearly 2000 ft-lbs at that range, that makes a serious big game cartridge. 7.5" low at 400 and 2" high at 100 makes that a dead center hold gun out to anywhere most of us except Ernie and Zee have business shooting. See an animal, point at the middle, and as long as it isn't beyond 400 there is no correction.

If I could build one into something under 7lbs without a scope, I'd be interested. Might be possible with a Rem 700...but I doubt it. I just think its cool Weatherby is coming out with something new. I'd never buy anything new from Weatherby, unless I could get an absolute guarantee that my gun was a custom shop made by my friend who got hired there. Even then, I'd spend the money elsewhere (re: Melvin Forbes). But how many new cartridges in the last 10 years or so could be made out of readily available brass? Everyone wants to make brand new and totally single source. This is a step down from one of the oldest magnums out there.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Weatherby always was in the habit of going for the guys who were compensating for their "shortcomings" by selling a showy, garishly ugly rifle chambered in some kind of barrel-torching proprietary cartridge that was expensive to feed. Then he clinched the deal by giving a bunch of rifles away to dictators, Hollywood stars, and other high-profile people. It really didn't matter if the rifles didn't shoot very accurately, and kicked like a demented Missouri mule- - - -they were sexy-looking and all the right people owned them! P.T. Barnum would have been proud!
    Jerry
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Weatherby=I'msonotinterested...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Weatherby=I'msonotinterested...

I personally do not worship at the well of Weatherby, but they are built with quality and I do like the Mark V action. It's overbuilt and yes a bit on the heavy side. But it is capable of fine accuracy if you get rid of that stock trigger. They have fine wood in the stocks for production rifles and yes they have overbore cartridges. I like some of their calibers, not all. I would love a .460. But I do like three of their cartridges. I like the .300 because it is a little better than the .300 Win Mag and it has a real neck. I like the .257 because it's the hottest .25 going. And I like the 7mm because it does everything the 7Remington Mag should do but doesn't, for whatever reasons. But, and this is my Big But, I don't like the expense of shooting them. SO, I bought me 100 rounds of Remington brass at the competitive price of $50 and hand load it with Sierra 180 grain Game Kings, nothing fancy here, and RL 25 gives me outstanding velocities. i have never bought a round of factory Weatherby Ammo and don't ever plan on doing so. Other than the brass, which I consider a one time or not too often investment, I load it about as cheap as anything else I own. I have some more conventional cartridges that the brass is about as expensive as the Weatherby. I like its performance, and it's a pretty gun. Mine's a Lazar Mark with the carving where the checkering should be. Also, I got it cheap and i like it. What's not to love?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My 7MM Weatherby that someone GAVE me (the only reason I own it) gets about 3 reloads per case before it burns a hole in the shoulder or splits the neck. I think I'd better break out the borescope and take a look at the chamber throat. It's one of the old German-made actions, and there's no telling how many rounds it's fired. It might be a good candidate for a rechambering to 7 STW.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    My 7MM Weatherby that someone GAVE me (the only reason I own it) gets about 3 reloads per case before it burns a hole in the shoulder or splits the neck. I think I'd better break out the borescope and take a look at the chamber throat. It's one of the old German-made actions, and there's no telling how many rounds it's fired. It might be a good candidate for a rechambering to 7 STW.
    Jerry

That it would. It's plenty long and strong. I think it would be a fine candidate for something like that. While I like my Lazar Mark Stock because of the interesting carving, I think I might want to get me a more classic stock for mine and finish it in a satin finish. While I'm not totally opposed to its DUDE rifle looks, I think I could go for a more classic look.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    If it weren't for Howa, Weatherby would go belly-up selling guns to doctors and lawyers who never hunt, anyway.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Silver Spring, MD 20906Posts: 1,221 Senior Member
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/first-look-new-65-300-weatherby-magnum-cartridge

Weatherby is getting into the wildcat-turned-factory-cartridge game. Long time cat, near identical to the 6.5 STW which Layne Simpson has said is his go-to cartridge of everything he has created.

Not sure what I think of it yet, but, lets chat

In general terms, when I shoot my mag-na-ported .300 Wby at the Southeast Shoot, people get up and move away, so I've learned to shoot from the portable benchrest wagon. Last time I shot off of that, I heard somebody yell "Damn!" from somewhere behind me, not even on the firing line. Just so you know. How to NOT win friends and influence people. Sucker sure shoots good, though, and my ammo is relatively cheap at only $75/box of 20. Even with the mag-na-porting, though, that thing kicks like a mule! I shudder to think how hard a non-ported .340 would kick. By the way, I ordered a .378 Wby, #3 contour bbl with mine. A .340 would have a # 2 contour .300 Wby bbl unless custom ordered otherwise.
    Such a standard # 2 contour bbl would be lighter than mine, resulting in even more recoil. If you order a synthetic stock w/o a Monte Carlo cheekpiece, you will have a rifle that's lighter still and with NO cheekweld, causing the flat-topped buttstock to leap upward and literally SLAM into your cheekbone every time you shoot it!

I happen to worship at the altar of high velocity, and am as pro-Weatherby as anyone you're likely to meet
    in your lifetime. That said, I urge you to think carefully before signing up for your new Wby wildcat.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."