Hand gun prefrence

.223sniper.223sniper New MemberPosts: 23 New Member
Somebody else had an article like this but didn't have a pole.

Whats your choice of deffence 65 votes

CZ
6% 4 votes
Glock
32% 21 votes
44% 29 votes
M&P
4% 3 votes
ARs
6% 4 votes
Shotguns
6% 4 votes

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    .223sniper wrote: »

Well when it comes to personal defense, a handgun is most likely to be the weapon of default, even when I wore a badge, that long-arm was usually locked away in the vehicles weapon rack.

I was a fair marksman with standard service revolvers, Colt's S&W Ruger, then auto-loaders such as the 1911, the BHP, and much later the Glock models 17 and 19....

Good quality handguns of many brands are acceptable for personal defense, however I prefer to stick to certain models within My limited sphere of experience.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    For defense in the home and when I'm out, I have the Glock 19 ready to go. I have no way of concealing/securing my AR-15 yet still have it quickly accessible, so just the handgun for now. However, if I find a Commander length 1911 for the right price I may just switch to that.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Rock Island arms has basic models starting in the less than $ 400 category.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    I use a Glock 26 and Beretta Tomcat for concealed carry.
    I can shoot the Glock very accurately whether standing, kneeling or moving while shooting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    What am I defending?
    Against what?
    Am I in a structure, a vehicle, or on foot?
    Is it urban or wooded?
    Can I open carry or does it need to remain concealed?
    Why does this poll ask for "handgun preference" and then list AR's and shotguns, two nominal long-arms?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Well deffence aint a word. Can these be converted to full auto if I have the license?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member

My pole is the genuine article, licensed to conceive.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    I couldn't help but notice that akimbo desert eagles wasn't on your list...
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Actually, I prefer a revolver.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Although I voted Glock because I occaissionally carry one, I carry a Makarov. Your poll might be better if it had an option for "other".

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    ericb wrote: »
    My pole is the genuine article, licensed to conceive.

:rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I'll take Glock, 1911, AR, and shotgun for $1,000...Alex.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    There was no option for all of the above..........
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    There was no option for all of the above..........
    Actually, with this "pole" you could make multiple choices be submitting your vote
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Love the 1911
  • .223sniper.223sniper New Member Posts: 23 New Member
    What am I defending?
    Why does this poll ask for "handgun preference" and then list AR's and shotguns, two nominal long-arms?

They are handguns
    Shotguns: Taurus Judge 410 revolver
    AR: AR-24 9mm
    I was going to say AR and shotgun. That is until you said that. I prefer long gun over pistol anyday, but in this case a Glock or 1911 will work just fine. Nothing against the others, just what I am familiar and proficient with.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    They are handguns

The Judge is not a shotgun I don't care how you look at it.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    They are handguns

:yikes:

Retraction! Retraction! Is it too late for a retraction!? With the above statement, let me retract my earlier statement and simply say, "Alex, you tricky little devil. I'll take the Glock and 1911. You can keep those other two.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    I chose glock because the M&P (was definitely not a fan of the Sigma) & XD's weren't around at the time, and I couldn't afford a decent (let alone good) 1911.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    They are handguns
    A revolver ain't a shotgun, and the AR24 ain't an AR, but a rebadged Turkish rework of a CZ-75.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I have a pole in the house---it's Clean the :queen:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • .223sniper.223sniper New Member Posts: 23 New Member
    A revolver ain't a shotgun, and the AR24 ain't an AR, but a rebadged Turkish rework of a CZ-75.

The judge is technically a shotgun because it fires shot-shells and is chambered for a 410 shotgun round, just because its a revolver doesn't mean it isn't also a shotgun. And I never specified that the AR was a carbine just called it an AR.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    The judge is technically a shotgun because it fires shot-shells and is chambered for a 410 shotgun round, just because its a revolver doesn't mean it isn't also a shotgun.
    BATF tends to disagree with you. ANY shotgun with a barrel less than 18" requires an AOW (any other weapon) tax stamp and other hoops to own legally. That is the reason the Judge has a rifled barrel, to NOT be classified as a short barreled shotgun. :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    Is a claymore antipersonnel mine technically a shotgun? If so, that gets my vote for mounting on de-fence.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Actually, with this "pole" you could make multiple choices be submitting your vote

ie.....poll
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    The judge is technically a shotgun because it fires shot-shells and is chambered for a 410 shotgun round, just because its a revolver doesn't mean it isn't also a shotgun. And I never specified that the AR was a carbine just called it an AR.
    Oh, I'm sorry. When I see "AR" I think of the common definition of an AR, not some manufacturer's moniker for a variant of a more common pistol.
    As for the .410, I wouldn't use that on a pheasant, much less a human.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member

WTF2.gif
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    Bream
    I actually got shot with a .410 when I was 16...perfect center of mass in the back at about 50 yards. My buddy swung on a late flushing bird and didn't realize I was in the line of sight. Damned lucky. I was pretty pissed. It went thru a field jacket, liner, flannel shirt, and long john shirt. My girlfried had a helluva time picking all the shot out of my back.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson