Home Main Category General Firearms

California Concealed Carry Permits (?)

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
I lived in CA for about 20 years (1974-1993). If I remember correctly the county sheriff issued concealed weapons permits.

I was told, long ago, that the permit was only valid in your county of residence and not statewide. Is that still true? I also have heard that Marin county will not issue permits at all. I wonder what counties take this same provision?

Thanks

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    It varies widely county-to-county, although to the BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, once issued a permit is good statewide. Calguns.net would be the best resource for questions like this. Around here, CCW's are far rarer than unicorn tears, although supposedly the new Sheriff of Monterey County will issue if you can jump through all their hoops, including a psych exam. The bad news is that they go around to your co-workers and neighbors to discuss the whole thing - yea, I REALLY want my neighbors to know about this. It is even more senseless if you happen to live in a bad neighborhood and receive this free advertising. My neighborhood is just fine, but I still don't want the knowledge spread about...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I lived in one of those other neighborhoods and only the hoods had guns. You can forget about a CCW in Marin, San Francisco, Contra Costa and Alameda. California is a "May Issue state" and though there was a law suit to challenge the "May Issue"law the sheriffs have held their ground and not issued them any differently. You must show a serious threat or need.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: