Home Main Category Clubhouse

Yet another pointy slashy stabby sharp thingie thread...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,637 Senior Member
What to do with these?

Inherited from my late Father, top one is a USMC Camilus, middle is a plain marked KA-BAR, the bottom one is a KA-BAR Olean NY. From the little bit of research I've done, the bottom one is older than the middle - but I don't know the relative age of the Camilus.

In any event, I'd like to clean these up as best I can without damage. The bottom one is probably in the worse condition as far as the leather disk handle goes, some of the disks are starting to dis-integrate. I've read that replacing the leather is non-trivial unless you know what you're doing - which I don't. Perhaps the handles on the other two larger ones can be "resurfaced" or something.

How best to clean up the blades? One of them, I think it was the Camilus, was found in a flooded toolbox!

I don't know which, if any, was dad's service knife - the Camilus is unlikely as dad was in the USN, not the Marines, but the two KA-BARs are not marked USN. Dad had a tendency to buy stuff like this at flea markets (whether he needed it or not), so Goddess alone knows the real history.

In any event, any advice would be appreciated!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7302&d=1445831105
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Best way? 0000 steel wool with a liberal dose of oil (added regularly as you go). Get a few towels, turn the TV on, and don't expect it done anytime soon. But you won't mess up the metal that way.

Option 2 is to take it to a gun shop and see if they have a bluing wheel they can run them on real quick.

Just my 2 pennies.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    If you want to re-finish them I would try to find a good knife maker in your area, if you want to try it yourself, you'll need a 6-7" bench grinder, I've had good results using a fine/soft stainless steel "carding wheel" and Brownell's "rust release" neither will remove any metal. Brownell's part # are, wheel 360-164-631aq, rust release 5l23h93.

You can also use stainless steel wool and Hoppe's # 9, does a good job on light rust.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    I will parrot the advice of 0000 steel wool or a scrub bud with lots of oil.

You may find that knives issued by The Navy were the same issued to Marine personnel
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I have my late FILs knife he was issued and it is a Camillus, he was a certified Navy Diver and did some underwater demolitions. It even had an underwater flare or smoke marker taped to the sheath. It is rusted (FLA garage he kept it in). The handle was some kinda cork and is gone now.

Camillus was purchased by ACME United and doesn't do repairs on older ones anymore.

http://www.camillusknives.com/Support/Older+Camillus+Knives/Older+Camillus+Products/1470

Too bad I was thunking about having it restored, but just may get the rust off myself and try to wrap a new grip of some kind on the handle.

Congrats, cool blades with some history and sentimental value.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    A coffee can and a 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF make a great penetrating oil. If you have a bench grinder a cheap buffing wheel can be made from cardboard. Cut circles the diameter needed and keep stacking them on until you have the width of a grinding stone.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Regarding the leather handles and restoring them, I had good luck running the leather gently over the wire wheel on my grinder. Took off the polish and restored it back to a softer grainier feel. If you decide to try the handles. do it slowly.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    I actually do have access to a soft buffing wheel - may give that a try. Looking at them closely last nite, the Camilus and the large KA-BAR both have removable pommels - although I'm sure they won't be easy. The small KA-BAR would be best served by grinding the peening off, then spot welding it back together. It would be the last one to do for sure.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    Clean the blades really well and soak them in vinegar....they'll turn black.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that the bottom is a USN MK I deck knife, without more pics it's hard to confirm, I would urge you to find someone who knows their knives, Kabars and Camillus's have a big following with collectors and there is a good chance that any restoration you might undertake WILL ruin their value,
    an old Randall MK I went for $28,000 a few years ago, I'm not saying your knives are in the same boat as that, but there is value to certain models with the right/rare stamps and limited run pommels and guard shapes.
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the bottom is a USN MK I deck knife...
    Yea, I got that impression as well - although it has no USN markings which may or may not mean anything.

• waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Yea, I got that impression as well - although it has no USN markings which may or may not mean anything.

I'm late for work so I can't double check but I think a lot of them were unmarked, especially the ones in lifeboats, which tended to go "missing":wink: :tooth:

I really like your knives, that MK I deck knife is sweet, I'm actually looking to get a modern Kabar made version this weekend, leather handled knives by the old makers like Kabar, Camillus and Marbles are just such quintessentially American designs that work so well and were made right.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Enzo is correct on petroleum based products and old leather. For old tack and such I use Lexol products which I also use on modern tack because it does not leave a film that is sticky and holds dust and dirt. As to what to do with those old guys I'd would first just wipe them (and sheaths if you got those) down with something to clean and stop any further deterioration. I know you are not going to use them just put back the family treasures so after that it is what you want them to be. Me personally, I'd just wipe of crude and such from the metal and lightly treat the leather (Lexol cleaner with a soft toothbrush then conditioner and protectant). As to the metal I'd do the very light 0000 steel wool and oil to remove rust but not much more. I don't even think I'd mess with reworking the nicks and such in cutting edges or even sharpening them if they are going to be just looked at. The character they have now is history with your Father.

New might be shiny and sparkle but character takes years and to me tells a story.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    The two Navy deck knives I've seen had black plastic handles on them. They were from WW 2.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    No sheaths, unfortunately. Wouldn't want to store them in same anyway.