Home Main Category Clubhouse

Lost my friend

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,858 Senior Member
My yellow lab Amber passed away yesterday. She was just about 14 years old. No signs of problems. Playing and ate her dinner one evening, gone the next morning. Sure missing her. :angel2::angel2:

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    I feel for you Jay. Our furry friends are the best of the best.
    Hang on to those memories
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Hard on you cause you didn't get to say goodbye but easy on her.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear it. It sucks.
    I love labs.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,888 Senior Member
    So very sorry:angel2:

Sako
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. She was a sweetheart. My son is almost 16. She's been around most of his life and was amazing with kids. Normally I'll cowboy up and drive on. But this one's hitting me good. Thoughts and prayers are much appreciated. Whether they're posted or not.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Hang in there, sucks losing a pet. :angel2:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • HastaHasta Member Posts: 56 Member
    It sucks losing a pet.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Sorry brother. Sounds like she went peaceful.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • TxwheelsTxwheels Member Posts: 151 Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Here's something that helped when my old buddy Tramp passed a couple years ago.

The Rainbow Bridge;

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. It's bright eyes are intent; it's eager body quivers. Suddenly it begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, legs carrying it faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    If I don't answer the phone, I'm probably in the Senate taking a POTUS and wiping my Congress
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss :angel:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    That's tough Jay. Our four legged friends are so special to us. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,755 Senior Member
    I've owned dogs most of my life. It's never easy. When my Ada had to be put down My faith gave me comfort. I'm a Christian and I reflected on a specific passage. Jesus was trying to teach the people how much God loved and cared for them. I Paraphrase; He said look at the birds of the sky. They don't sow or reap. You can buy one for a penny, yet if one falls from the sky my Father in Heaven knows.

We were given these wonderful pets and He knows and cares for them too!

May you find comfort in the memories of your good friend.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Happens---I know the drill
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    When I lost my Peaches I swore off dogs for good. My wife Fe brought home two cats and so now I'm sort of a cat guy. Why? because I get too damned attached to dogs. They're like children to me. And they are very loyal. When Peaches died I was in Malaysia and she was being boarded by my vet. He actually called me to tell me. He figures she got stung by a red wasp while in the outside run one day(He found a dead red wasp next to her in the pin). He tried to revive her for over an hour. Now that's a vet and he's my vet for life now. Anyway, when Peaches died like that I could barely stand it for about two weeks. I said No More Dogs. But now I've found that it makes no difference. I have this cat here we call Mingo. He's Siamese and pretty smart. He actually acts more like a dog than a cat. So now I'm attached to another animal I'll most likely have to say good to some day and the thought pains me deeply.

Anyway Jay, my deepest condolences to you and your family. Some people don't get as attached to animals and don't realize that sometimes losing one is about as tough as losing some human family members.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that, jay. I am dreading that day coming with my pup.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Losing a 4 legged companion is tough. They leave a huge void when they pass on, especially the special ones that really connect with you. Confidant, keeper of secrets, partner in crime, and a big goofy friend. :angel:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    It's a difficult time for sure.Except for my 4 yrs in the Air Force I have always had a dog. Its only the last 25 yrs that Yellow Lab's became the dog of choice.
    My Son's and extended family all have Lab's, Yellow,Black,and Chocolate. Thanksgiving and Christmas with seven grand kids and 4 or 5 Lab's all at the same time was a real headache but I really miss it now that CD & KD are both gone. Dog people all understand the unmatched companionship a dog can provide, some
    will never understand that relationship. Your dog knows who you really are!
    Thanks again for your thoughts, guys. I appreciate it.

I have a chocolate lab as well. She's going on 4 years old. I love labs. They are some of the smartest, most loyal and sweetest dogs, IMO. In my experience, they can be a handful when they're puppies, but once they grow out of the destructive playing phase, they are great dogs. Freebie, the chocolate lab, is very visibly heartbroken at the loss of her friend. Amber started mentoring her when she was barely weaned.

When I first got Amber, she instantly attached herself to me. I couldn't go anywhere without her following me. To the extent that she'd follow me down the dirt road when I tired to leave and I'd have to make her go home, only to look in my mirror and see her following me again. The only way I could get her to stop was to haul butt down the road and get far enough away, then she'd give up and go back home. But she was a destructive little pup! Twice she tore all the tail light wiring out of my truck. Once she managed to get herself under the cover and into the bass boat and tore up the upholstery. She also tore up a good amount of redwood lattice I had around the porch at one time. Expensive little turd! But I'd do it all again in a second....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear the sad news....been there too many times. Condolences from our family to yours...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    So sorry to hear that, condolences. Dogs can be such an important member of the family. I am dreading the day when my older pup passes. I can't imagine the effect it'll have on my kids especially. Again, sorry for your loss.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    All dogs go to Heaven.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    R I P
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 733 Senior Member
    So sorry to hear of your loss...
    Thanks. It's been hard getting used to her being gone. Wasn't the same working in the man cave last night without her laying on the floor next to me. Life goes on. Just sucks losing such a good friend, especially suddenly and with no chance to tell her good bye.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear it, dogs really do make the best friends.
    My lab just had her first senior blood panel now that she's over 7. I sure hope we have many more years with her.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    ,I lost my friend of 18 years this month.She went blind and could not hear. Very smart knew many tricks by sight commands but that was over. Really had trouble finding her food. I don't think she could smell either. A lot of company when I first retired, I'd just get her leash and we would walk around the neighbor hood. Wife still almo,st cry when I mention her..catch myself looking for here when getting up in the morning. Probably not have anymore pets.
    I know how you must feel, sorry for your lose.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Condolences

image259.jpg
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Thanks again, ya'll. Sarg, my condolences to you for the loss of your friend.:angel2:
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I like most dogs better than a lot of people.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear Always tough to loose one of your best buddies!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member