Home Main Category Clubhouse

Lost part of a finger today.

calebibcalebib Senior MemberPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
I got distracted by my dog while cutting kindling this afternoon and chopped of the tip of my left thumb. It could be worse but my thumb now ends at the end of my thumbnail, only lost about 1/8" but boy does it throb and I'm ticked at myself for ruining a perfectly good glove. By the way, Fiskars axes take a hell of an edge!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replies

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Just be happy you weren't shaving.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    I lost a finger in a meat grinder. I figure that's why God gave us 10. So we could afford to lose a few.

Glad it wasn't more than you lost. Guess you can't give a full thumbs up anymore. Gotta find you a new emoticon.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I about cut off the middle finger on my right hand with a angle grinder about 20 years ago. Blade went halfway through the main joint. Strange thing is that it didn't bleed and hardly hurt. Healed up good though.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    My wife clipped about 3/16" off of her index finger with a pruning shear a few years ago. Healed up fine and looks totally normal, but you can see the difference in length when she holds it up to her other hand.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    My wife clipped about 3/16" off of her index finger with a pruning shear a few years ago. Healed up fine and looks totally normal, but you can see the difference in length when she holds it up to her other hand.
    My wife got her fingertip cut off with a dirty blade during a surgery she was scrubbed on. Sewed it back on but the hard part was the potential of disease transmission. Lots of testing later and all is okay.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    Just be happy you weren't shaving.
    Or taking a leak!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    :up:

:roll2:

I laughed way more than I should have.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I lost a finger in a meat grinder.

How'd it taste?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    I about cut off the middle finger on my right hand with a angle grinder about 20 years ago. Blade went halfway through the main joint. Strange thing is that it didn't bleed and hardly hurt. Healed up good though.

I did the same through my trigger finger knuckle, my experience mirrors yours, best I can figure is it kind of cauterises as it cuts, if I ever need to perform an ad hoc amputation then I know which tool I'm reaching for, just call me Doc deWalt.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Or taking a leak!

good one Jerm, LMAO.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Technically, it's not lost...you know where it is, right?

I'm glad this was 'minor' enough that we can joke about it a little. Be careful out there, you're the only you you have!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    How'd it taste?

Like cabbage.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I lost a finger in a meat grinder.

I wouldn't have dated that gal no more after that :jester:

Calebib, man I hope you heal up soon, I know that musta smarted something fierce.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    That will smart for a while. Glad it was only a tiny bit off the end of the thumb; thumbs are important. :up: :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    I lost a finger in a meat grinder. I figure that's why God gave us 10. So we could afford to lose a few.

Glad it wasn't more than you lost. Guess you can't give a full thumbs up anymore. Gotta find you a new emoticon.
    fist-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    Been there, done that except mine was due to putting my finger into an electric cooling fan on a commercial lawn tractor. I hope it heals quickly. If you have insurance, you might have a plastic surgeon look at it. I did and I think the healing process went much better.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Technically, it's not lost...you know where it is, right?

I'm glad this was 'minor' enough that we can joke about it a little. Be careful out there, you're the only you you have!
    Never found the cut off bit, one of the dogs "cleaned up" for me.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Or taking a leak!
    Leave it to Jerm,___:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I was trying to think of a good analogy to this when I read Jerm's post and almost fell out of the chair laughing!!!

BTW Cale, I'm not laughing at your misfortune. That had to hurt. When I was in college in Beaumont in the early 70s We had a U Control model plane club and were always building and repairing our planes. I nearly cut off my thumb AND my forefinger when I was cutting parts with an Exacto Knife once. The knife broke and cut me something terrible. There was blood everywhere. I manage to walk across the street to the College Infirmary and get emergency treatment. I had like 10 stitches in both combined. My thumb was just hanging on by a bit of skin. I hate it when that happens.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,862 Senior Member
    Family tradition for men to be missing parts of fingers for us. My grandfather had half of one of his thumbs amputated due to cancer. My dad lost half of one of his fingers after an accident at work crushed all of his fingers except his thumbs. So far, I've still got all of mine. I almost lost my thumb twice team roping. Was fortunate enough to catch it as it happened and got my thumb out before it popped. First one would have taken half my thumb at the joint, the other would have been the whole thumb at the base. Have good scars at both spots to remind me of those times...

Same thing applies to rope burns as was mentioned earlier about being cut by a grinder. Almost no pain and very little bleeding, even as I looked at my thumb bone with no hide on it....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hey as long as you have enough thumb left to hold the bottom of a sam'mich it's all good...

And a beer, don't forget the beer! I mean, what's a sammich without a Beer? :silly:__:roll:__:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    It will probably grow back, on the other hand the glove won't.

A bluefish took off a piece of finger once---it healed up----can't remember which one
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Guess you'll have to use the other one for plums.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    OUCH!! ":cuss::cuss:"
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I remember seeing my Grandfather lose the top third of his right ring finger to a chainsaw when I was about 10...makes an impression.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    One of the good things about this place is even if you didnt have local friends, you can be sure that your pain and suffering will be laughed at worldwide when you do something dumb.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    One of the good things about this place is even if you didnt have local friends, you can be sure that your pain and suffering will be laughed at worldwide when you do something dumb.
    That's why we're here :rotflmao:

AJA, glad you missed bone Caleb :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

It's like having a bunch of extra brothers, just for such an occasion.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    That's why we're here :rotflmao:

AJA, glad you missed bone Caleb :up:

Me too. I've seen my own bones enough already.

I just changed the bandage, pulling the old one made it bleed pretty good. Now it's got a coat of dermabond to at least keep the clot from getting town off with the gauze.

BYXuI22.jpg
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If Wsutlive were still on this earth he would approve of yer pic......:yikes:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am paranoid when I chop wood, I am deathly afraid of accidentally chopping something off, I heard of a guy chopping with a hatchet, and it rebounded off some really hard wood and removed his wood permanently, twig & berries alike !!!!!
    :yikes:

After the accident, he found he could sing the high notes of the song "loving you"
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996