Home Main Category General Firearms

Lead Removal Tricks

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,484 Senior Member
Has anyone ever used a 50/50 mix of vinager and peroxide for lead removal? Let soak for 15 min. I read it removes some and softens up the remaining lead in the barrel. Sometimes 2 applications are required.

How about spraying Pam on your compensator prior to shooting? Less buildup and easier cleanup. Also heard Slick 2000 works.

It's been raining and I've reading stupid stuff but maybe it works?
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    I use pro shot products one step cleaner...works well

I put it in...let it soak for a bit...then scrub some...then patch out

been using that for about 5 years in the shop. I really like their products in general....No I do not work for them
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I use chore boy copper scrubber pads. Wrap some around a bore brush. I also use lead wipe away cloth wraped around a bore brush.
    Tornado brush for revolver chambers.
    Sometimes I use Kroil brand penetrating oil.
    Turpentine works to get it off my fingers.
    Shine a light in the muzzle to check the rifling @ the forcing cone.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I used to clean lots of guns for folks at the range, one method that worked well involved using reject T-shirts, bulk quantities, make long snakes out of them, lengths of 6 feet or so, pull it through the barrel and let it soak with Hoppes bore cleaner for a least an hour, pull it through, the snake is looped and you keep pulling it through the barrel for 15 cycles, this worked very well with at least 90% of the barrels I cleaned.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,913 Senior Member
    +1 on the Chore Boy copper scrubber pads. Cut a piece off with scissors and wrap it around the bore brush and clean with solvent. I've used Shooter's Choice lead remover and it worked well. But the piece of scrubber pad works really well and scraping the lead out. I use a bore brush chucked up in my cordless drill for cleaning revolver cylinders out.
  • charlhrt1charlhrt1 Member Posts: 37 Member
    I have to ask. Won't the Chore Boy and scrubber pad scratch the inside of the barrel?

Skip
    charlhrt1 wrote: »
    I have to ask. Won't the Chore Boy and scrubber pad scratch the inside of the barrel?

Skip

No. Not as long as you use the scrubber pads that are PURE copper. Chore Boy are pure copper. Some others are steel or stainless steel plated with copper. Stay away from those.

Bore brushes are made out of copper. Adding more copper to them will not hurt the barrel steel.

sns-020_1z.jpg
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,594 Senior Member
    Lewis Lead Remover.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • charlhrt1charlhrt1 Member Posts: 37 Member
    Okay, thanks. I was under the impression that boar brushes were brass, I stand corrected and educated.

Skip
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wow, on Cast Boolits forum this has a thread from 2009 to 2015. They have some very interesting replies with everything from from Chore Boys to Mercury.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?52276-Removing-lead-from-barrel-how-to
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,594 Senior Member
    A friend of mine once told me of the Mercury method of removing lead from bores. Needless to say I told him he was, politely, full of bovine excrement. He produced a jar of mercury and I just so happened to have the 22rifle in question in hand at his shop. He poured the metal down the bore after we sealed the breech and in 20 min or so we poured out the Mercury that now carried out the lead! However, it "plated" the bore with Mercury!!!!!!! He told me "just shoot it on a windy day and hold your breath when you shoot it, you'll be fine!" I miss his quirkiness. He has passed on. ( not a joke)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Believe it or not guys mercury was a prescribed method back in the day. I got some old magazines circa 1960. It's in one of em'.

So is photos of machinists without safety glasses.

Don't know where the got the mercury, probly in the deadly poison isle.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Never herd of that method before BAMAAK!!!!!!!! I have found through the years of gun ownership, there is many a methods of removing lead from barrels!!! Sometimes it just might require a little elbow grease!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    charlhrt1 wrote: »
    Okay, thanks. I was under the impression that boar brushes were brass, I stand corrected and educated.

Skip

They're usually copper or bronze. Bronze, of course, being an alloy that's primarily copper. The center part that the copper or bronze is attached to is usually brass.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    I remember the mercury method from way back. There are various types of mercury, though. Some of it is so poisonous that people die from exposure to a micro-amount, some is not so bad. The used to back in the old days use it to treat syphilis and VD of other kinds. If you see those old medical kits from the 18th century, you'll see syringes they used to insert it in the urinary tract...uhg!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    That'll get the lead out.