Home Main Category Clubhouse

Retro phone handset

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Cell phones/I-phones irritate the hell outta me when someone is on one in the house and I'm trying to do something else like watch TV, seems I hear what I don't wanna and people talk too loud on them. Maybe they don't have them centered on their ears and mouth right, but maybe these will help!

Sure seems to me there used to less disruption in the house when telephones were used with hand sets, even the walk-around cordless ones seemed less of a distraction to me.

I like this idy............

Ordered some as stocking stuffers and one fer me and Mrs Chief. They plug right in where earphones would on a cell............

http://www.sciplus.com/p/RETRO-BLACK-CELLPHONE-HANDSET_57647?trk_msg=UQ96GVS03QAK1BB1UUG4S3ME70&trk_contact=FVK9TK429UNUJC24QUPN0KAH58
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I bet you chase kids off your lawn too. :jester:
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I bet you chase kids off your lawn too. :jester:

Only if they are using a cell phone/tablet/notebook/I-phone :tooth:

I heard more than I ever wanted to know about folks lives who yak on cell phones in public places. Some think their conversations are private like indoors or a phone booth, nope.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Cell phones/I-phones irritate the hell outta me when someone is on one in the house and I'm trying to do something else like watch TV, seems I hear what I don't wanna and people talk too loud on them. Maybe they don't have them centered on their ears and mouth right, but maybe these will help!

Sure seems to me there used to less disruption in the house when telephones were used with hand sets, even the walk-around cordless ones seemed less of a distraction to me.

I like this idy............

Ordered some as stocking stuffers and one fer me and Mrs Chief. They plug right in where earphones would on a cell............

http://www.sciplus.com/p/RETRO-BLACK-CELLPHONE-HANDSET_57647?trk_msg=UQ96GVS03QAK1BB1UUG4S3ME70&trk_contact=FVK9TK429UNUJC24QUPN0KAH58
    Just take them away. Having a cell and a inflated sense that you are important isn't a excuse for bad manners.
    If you want to be in the same room in my house and engaged in the activity that is occurring, stay off the cell leash, you aren't that important that I care what you are doing. If its that important you can go on the porch where your phone is about to be. I have pocketed the wifes because she started taking texts when I took her to dinner.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Just take them away. Having a cell and a inflated sense that you are important isn't a excuse for bad manners.
    If you want to be in the same room in my house and engaged in the activity that is occurring, stay off the cell leash, you aren't that important that I care what you are doing. If its that important you can go on the porch where your phone is about to be. I have pocketed the wifes because she started taking texts when I took her to dinner.
    Or turn up the TV volume really loud, belch, or do something else that annoys the talker/talkee. You could also just ask them to take the call elsewhere.

No reason to be treated like a second-class citizen in your own house.
    Overkill is underrated.
    :tooth:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You just wake up every day fighting progress kicking and screaming right?

I like technological advances as good as the next guy, usually. But some folks have their entire lives wrapped up in those devices these days............like an addiction (like this forum sorta is to me :tooth:). Some jobs require constant Comms, but most folks use that stuff way too much. Wake up and go to bed with them, so to speak. Sure we are presumably safer by having a way to call 911 and get located in an emergency and can stay in contact with loved ones without pulling over to a pay phone at a 7-11 and so on.

I think folks and even a lot of kids are just plain addicted to them devices and forgot about activities like playing ball in the front yard and having real conversations in person with each other. Too much of anything is not good for you, especially those who live in a cyber world and don't have enough interactions with real people.

Two sides to every coin and I know to function and make it in this world we need to be somewhat proficient with these newish gizmos, but think we should be cautious as we proceed. I dunno, we are yet to see the ramifications of any side effects from it all and if the young generation most of us bitch about on here is any indication, something is wrong.

I guess if I wuz using a horse drawn carriage, I'd have been one to shy away from automobiles and be reluctant to to finally try one. Oh I would have eventually or get left in the dust.

Fast paced world these days (technologically).........and remember I'm still fascinated by Crystal Radios. :conehead: :conehead: :tooth:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You just wake up every day fighting progress kicking and screaming right? :tooth:

We know what people who are for "progress" are called? PROGRESSIVES!!!! :rotflmao:

I've made my entire career in "Hi-Tech" - and am frankly sick and tired of it. Its usefulness peaked about 10 years ago, now we're inundated with useless gadgets that are all designed suck $9.99/month out of our pocket (or more!). Don't get me started on all the stupidity in cars...

I sincerely hope the man who invented the smartfone burns in .... - Wait! He already is! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    People on a firearms forum getting mad at an inanimate object and some even demonizing them. (Not just this thread, mind you. It happens on others.)

The irony... priceless.
    Overkill is underrated.
    People on a firearms forum getting mad at an inanimate object and some even demonizing them. (Not just this thread, mind you. It happens on others.)

The irony... priceless.

I haven't been mad at a gun since I owned a Taurus :jester:

I don't think it is the inanimate objects as much as the folks who use and abuse them!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    According to some folks, firearms are not inanimate objects....they are sentient beings...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    As a LEO, I found the cellphone to be as important as a sidearm and in addition to the issued radio, those first cellphones did not have Internet or texting capabilities, only an LED display and 10 number memory IIRC, I carried a pager for receiving text messages and that had an 800 number making it easier.
    Radio dead zones made a cell phone a necessary backup, it took the brass some time to realize that a cellphone was a necessity.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    We used to have a phone with a handset looking like that, no dial though; just a direct connection with the operator.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    We used to have a phone with a handset looking like that, no dial though; just a direct connection with the operator.

My grandparents had one, and a three digit phone number. No area codes, then, either. You just called the operator and told them whether you were calling station-to-station or person-to-person...or collect.
    I use a phone with a handset like that every day. Has a rotary dial on it. Doubles as a last ditch self-defense weapon.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    Hey, those old handsets were heavy. You could crack some skulls with one of those babies.

That's it!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Ok some of us started out with 2 cans on a string; then we had one like this and a 15 party line.

Count the long and short rings or just listen in on everybody's call. I thought we were in hog heaven when we got 2 party lines.

This is in the front room for show of course.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2034&d=1344628757
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Ok some of us started out with 2 cans on a string; then we had one like this and a 15 party line.

Count the long and short rings or just listen in on everybody's call. I thought we were in hog heaven when we got 2 party lines.

You predate me a bit, you old fossil. :jester:

Cool antique.
    Ham radio autopatch predated common cell phone use, the club repeater would have a dedicated landline, and you could connect via a 2 meter handheld radio with a DTMF touch tone pad.
    ICOM_2AT_Handheld_BY_AI2C_IMG_3991_zpsck8a0obc.jpg

I made phone calls from a radio like this so many years ago, primitive by today's standards with its rotary frequency switches, yet it was cutting edge and an eye popper to see it in use !

Of course the 1950's portable radio with handset was in use, and as was stated, you had to have Operator assistance to make calls, operating on business bands IIRC.

Today's cellphones sure can do much more than my first primitive cellphone !!!!!
    The Motorola DPC550 !
    Motorola_A_DPC-550_zpsam69xwts.jpg
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member

Very nice :up::up:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I really like those old phones !
    Old kerosene lamps too !
    Add vintage SA revolvers to that !
    Horses, wagons etc..
    I remember driving around JAX FLA and somehow picking up ship-to-shore phone calls sailors were making on the car radio!
    Yes, those older radios generated harmonics, spurious frequencies at lower power, permitting you to receive those calls, the FCC frowns very heavy on that now, all type accepted radio transmitters must conform to much tighter specs and have narrow band emissions only enough bandwidth necessary for complete transmission, on SSB, single sideband, the audio is limited, and listening to SSB everyone sounds like Donald Duck !
    Military radio used SSB, and it takes getting used to in order to copy it.
    My first cell fone was a Panasonic bag fone - that I can't even find a picture of. Had a very nice handset, and the keypad was on the fone's body, not the handset - the way it should be! Nice big buttons too. Plugged into cigarette lighter 12v for power, I never had to worry about it going dead. I used it for somewhere around 15 years - and I'd still be using it except they turned off the old analog service ca 2007 or so. :cuss: :angry: It was a LOT nicer to use than anything since - I was irritated that my second cell fone, a Motorola flip, only lasted 5 years or so before falling apart! Third one was a so-called ruggedized model that broke after 2 years, my current one is probably 3 years old now - hopefully I won't have to replace it anytime soon. Some off brand flip that actually seems pretty well made - and its BRIGHT red!

That will still work. Connect it to a real phone line and as long as everything works, crank it and you will get a operator.

The irony... priceless.

Nope, not the object, just the people who cant use them correctly.
    Zorba, I ran over one of my first cellphones, getting into my car, I dropped a pen, bent down to pick it up, did not notice I had replaced the pen with my phone by dropping it, then crunch ! I ran over the phone !

I took it down to Verizon and they replaced it, I had insurance on it.
    I preffered being called on the cellphone rather than PD frequencies to avoid being overheard on scanners, so between the cellphone, pager, several radios, they could always contact me out in the field, however, supervision held a rather dim view of the general use of cellphones by rank & file officers.