Home Main Category Clubhouse

Interesting clothes dryer repair !

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
Ok, old fashioned electric dryer, 220 vac 3 wire, of course, and I am told it quit working, so another handy person moved it out, turned it arround and over and took the back off, pretty good, saving me some work, I check the heating element etc, all good, continuity etc, so I need to check it with power, so I spun the dryer around, take off the timer and control panel back, and plug it in, I check voltage, and note one leg is dead, 120 vac to neutral, 0 vac to neutral, I check the cord, it checks fine, check the outlet and it has 220 vac ! So I am all , WTH ???

SO I try moving the plug around, mostly nothing, so finally I take an Emory board or nail file and sand the heck out of the contacts on the outlet and plug, and Walla Walla !
Success !
The dryer works !!!!

I figure the contacts were glazed or oxidized or something and would not conduct enough to run the dryer, I must admit I have never seen this type of problem on an outlet, relays, yes,
If it happens again I will switch to a 4 wire anyway, it is a 3 wire now.
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    You're a born mechanic, Doc. Cars, electronics, probably computers.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Growing up, there was never money for non essentials, so I learned how to fix stuff at an early age, radios, televisions, toasters, people would stack them on the curb, so there were always lots of appliance cadavers to practice on !
    My first paid job was at the age of 13 in a Television & radio repair shop @ $2.50 an hour, today I can get a car very cheap, sitting in someone's yard and bring it back from the dead, lol, :jester:
    It is satisfying to repair something that has stumped others.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Nice work
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Nail files are handy things to have! :tooth:

I like fixing stuff too - my current boss was flabberghasted the first time I tore a laptop completely - and I mean COMPLETELY - apart to replace a broken power connector. I worked in a TV shop back in the day - I loved TV work. Wouldn't want to do it now, but back then it was fun and profitable. Made my folding money in my teenage years by fixing up junk TVs and selling them. Sold a lot of them for between $15 and $30 to migrant farm workers who were in town for 3-6 months. They'd toss it when they left, and call me the next year when they came back to buy another one! Mostly B&W sets, with the occasional color thrown in, although the color sets were "big money" at $50-$100!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Try the solar conversion on the clothes dryer- - - - -no electricity needed!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I remember talking to an Amish lady on the bus in Southern Maryland, and she asked if I thought tomorrow would be a good day for laundry, and I responded no, it looks like rain, better to wait two days, a middle school girl was perplexed, and asked with modern machines, what did rain matter ?

So I explained how the Amish used solar powered clothes dryers !

A clothes line !

Lol :jester: