Home Main Category General Firearms

Happy birthday to me!

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Nice rifle Mr. Hoover! :yousuck::tooth: Those are nice rifles, and that long barrel will be good if you decide to do some real BP or substitute BP loads. Have some fun with it, and take some game with it, too! :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I like it. A lot. Tang sights?

Yes, it came with the factory tang sight. I am waiting on new tang screws, the shop where I got has them on back order.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Coooooooool.

:agree::love:
    "It is what it is":usa:
    6090075C-02C5-43EC-9174-8E5D18F8544D_zpszx6vw0wc.jpg

First batch loaded up. 405gr FP over 39grs of RL7. Unfortunately I did not have time to make these up before Dad got here so we didn't get to shoot the rifle today.

When I pulled it out of the closet Dad was grinning like an idiot. I can't wait to get a range day with him and this rifle.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Now that's a birthday present, you need to empty that brass!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    Now that's a birthday present, you need to empty that brass!

I JUST got it filled up! I have 50 more pieces to load now.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    Great guns....just pag that butt plate...mine destroyed my shoulder but the gun shot great. I cut it off and fit a flat plate.
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    Hoggin wrote: »
    Great guns....just pag that butt plate...mine destroyed my shoulder but the gun shot great. I cut it off and fit a flat plate.

"Somebody get a rope".....just get a PAST Shield if the recoil bothers you...no need to butcher up a nice rifle...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    How fast will that rifle sling that lead with 39 grains of RL7 ?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am already planning and reading about loading BP and subs. Even though I haven't completed the loading the FIRST cartridge.

Is that bad?

Nope !

:yousuck:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Big Chief wrote: »
    How fast will that rifle sling that lead with 39 grains of RL7 ?

1500 something it is a max load in the Trapdoor section of my Lyman book.
    Dad 5-31-13
    You're going to be surprised when you start shooting BP...pleasantly surprised might I add. It's all I shoot out of the Sharps..
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You're going to be surprised when you start shooting BP...pleasantly surprised might I add. It's all I shoot out of the Sharps..

I put a copy of Mike Venturino's book on my Christmas list. Then I found an article in my Lyman article about reloading the .45-70 for accuracy. I haven't had time to read it yet but soon.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Hoggin wrote: »

I will probably just sack up and shot it. Someday if I make it to be old and feeble I may fit a shotgun butt.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    I like it. A lot. You...not so much.:yousuck:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,525 Senior Member
    Definitely qualify for the Hoover maneuver.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    :drool:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    I'm just goin to leave this here......:devil::devil:

A Montana Vintage Arms Winchester 'B' scope sporting model.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,558 Senior Member
    A scope on a single-shot Buffalo rifle? That's just heresy for some.....

Now if it's a vintage look with modern glass and innards, I like the idea.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,720 Senior Member

Here is the full info on it.
    https://montanavintagearms.com/product/winchester-scopes/winchester-scope-no1-mount/
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I really want a .45-70. Someday.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Elk creek wrote: »

Maybe after I hit the lotto. That is pretty damn cool though.
    Dad 5-31-13

I would bet that given the opportunity to mount glass like we have today pretty much every buffalo hunter would have done so.

Besides the High Wall came along to late to be a buffalo rifle. A scope on a target rifle is not heresy.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I would bet that given the opportunity to mount glass like we have today pretty much every buffalo hunter would have done so.
    Don't inject facts into the reality some in this forum have!
    Overkill is underrated.
    Besides the High Wall came along to late to be a buffalo rifle. A scope on a target rifle is not heresy.

Can't let the 1885 model number throw you off...Browning first invented the High Wall in 1878 and made about 500 of them before he sold the patent to Winchester...I'm pretty sure that while not a major player in the hide hunting business, the High Wall killed a number of buffalo
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member

I agree...right up to the point where I have determined that I have a specific use for a rifle that can be improved by some modern device.

I bought my Marlin Model 94 way back in the early '70's because lever action rifles are just so cool looking (and because I got it for $85). But when my house got burglarized, soon afterward, and it was the only rifle that the thief didn't find, I put a scope on it. I didn't like the 5" groups I was shooting with iron sights, for deer hunting, so I put a K-4 on it so I could shoot 2" groups.

I can hardly imagine putting a scope on the High Wall, but if I could mount one without trashing it up, I might do it, just to explore its capabilities. I guess I'm more of function over form kind of person.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Can't let the 1885 model number throw you off...Browning first invented the High Wall in 1878 and made about 500 of them before he sold the patent to Winchester...I'm pretty sure that while not a major player in the hide hunting business, the High Wall killed a number of buffalo

I read that somewhere last week, then I forgot.
    Dad 5-31-13
    bisley wrote: »
    I agree...right up to the point where I have determined that I have a specific use for a rifle that can be improved by some modern device.

I bought my Marlin Model 94 way back in the early '70's because lever action rifles are just so cool looking (and because I got it for $85). But when my house got burglarized, soon afterward, and it was the only rifle that the thief didn't find, I put a scope on it. I didn't like the 5" groups I was shooting with iron sights, for deer hunting, so I put a K-4 on it so I could shoot 2" groups.

I can hardly imagine putting a scope on the High Wall, but if I could mount one without trashing it up, I might do it, just to explore its capabilities. I guess I'm more of function over form kind of person.

Here's a High Wall with a modern scope....not out of place considering it's a modern High Wall in 7mm Rem Mag with a 28" barrel....but it would look like hell on a vintage High Wall....I wouldn't hesitate to put a Malcom scope with appropriate mounts on it though...

024.jpg