Home Main Category General Firearms

Trouble changing the gips on my Ruger GP100

bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior MemberPosts: 2,543 Senior Member
I ordered a set of Hogues to replace the grips on my GP100. They're not as comfortable as they are pretty. So, I removed the old ones, and got stuck on the locator lug:
IMG_0467.jpgIMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

I can't get that thing to budge. I tried tapping on it with a small hammer, and attempted to twist it using some channel-lock pliers (covered it first with a towel); it won't move at all. I've searched the interwebs to see if anyone else has had this issue, with no luck. The only thing I can figure is that the previous owner used something to stick it in place, but for the life of me I can't think of a single reason why anyone would do that.

Anyone got any ideas about what I can do?
Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I didn't know that lug came off?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    That's odd, on my super redhawk, (takes the same grips as the GP100) it just fell out.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Drill and tap the lug for a 10-32 screw, and use a long screw, a nut and washer, and a sleeve like a socket wrench as a puller to take it out. A similar setup is used as a "stuck case remover" in a reloading die.
    Jerry
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Drill and tap the lug for a 10-32 screw, and use a long screw, a nut and washer, and a sleeve like a socket wrench as a puller to take it out. A similar setup is used as a "stuck case remover" in a reloading die.
    Jerry
    Thanks Teach. I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have the tools myself, but I know someone who does.
    That's odd, on my super redhawk, (takes the same grips as the GP100) it just fell out.

Exactly. This is really strange.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    It's soft aluminum. Just drill a big hole thru the middle and then drive it out. New ones from brownells are about $2
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Before you move on to drills and the BFH there is a better than average chance the previous owner just used something silly like superglue to keep it in place. Get some acetone of steal the nail polish remover from your favorite female and soak the bottom of the grip for a few hours in it. Might do the trick.

Don't listen to "Mr. I wear girlie panties"...........BREAK OUT THE POWER TOOLS!!!

tim%20taylor.jpg
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Don't listen to "Mr. I wear girlie panties"...........BREAK OUT THE POWER TOOLS!!!

Hell yeah...can't break anything so bad you can't throw it away....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If it's stuck in with something like superglue, heat is your friend. Warm it up with a Propane torch for a minute or so and tap on it with a soft-faced hammer. You're not likely to get the grip frame hot enough to damage anything unless you get really stupid with the heat source. One side looks like it's peened and expanded already, so it might be a good idea to drive it out the other way.
    Jerry
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

tim%20taylor.jpg

This.

:grunting:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Someone done something to that lug they shouldn't have.. I have a GP100 too and two sets of grips for it. My lug just simply falls out.
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Finger nail polish bath didn't work. Gonna try heat next. If that doesn't work, out come the power tools.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,138 Senior Member
    I would guess that the previous owner did not know that the piece should fit loosely and used something to hold it in place.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    That's all I can come up with. Seems strange that a person knowledgeable enough to install fiber optic sights and clean up the trigger pull would do something like that.
    Held a torch to it for a little while and tried to tap it out; nothing. It still won't budge. This is getting serious. Time for power tools!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wonder if you could drill a hole slightly larger than the lug in a scrap board. Sandwich the grip frame between that board and an undrilled board in a vise with the lug lined up in the hole and slowly tighten the jaws.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Stubborn lug vs power tools............power tools win!! I drilled a hole in the lug and grabbed it with some vise grips. I twisted it with the grips and it started to turn. I then used a few different things to pound on it until it started moving. It took an hour and a half of pounding and twisting and WD-40 before I remembered what Teach said about one side being peened and expanded. I popped the punch in the other side and bam! It came right out.
    Grip%20Lug%202.jpgGrip%20Lug%203.jpg

So, I put the Hogues on and did my happy dance.

New%20Grips.jpg

I like finger grooves in a fighting gun. I know some don't, but this works best for me. Thanks everyone for your advice and counsel. I love this board.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Good job, other than the Goodyears :tooth:

Next just jump straight to the power tools. :wink:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,138 Senior Member
    was it glued or what made it so tight? as other have said, the one i had just fell out.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    I like those grips
    Good job, other than the Goodyears :tooth:

Next just jump straight to the power tools. :wink:

Thanks. I'm not experienced enough to go straight for the power tools, but I learned a lot through this process.
    was it glued or what made it so tight? as other have said, the one i had just fell out.

There was no visible residue of glue, but it did seem as if this piece was not OEM. It was so tight in there I can't think it was the original lug. I don't know what effect, if any, WD-40 has on glue, but it may be possible that the WD-40 removed the residue as the lug was being pushed out. :uhm:
    I like those grips

Me too. They give the gun a nice, balanced feel; BIG improvement over the originals. I wish the Hogues for my 625JM felt this nice.