Home Main Category Hunting

My archery (crossbow) buck

DurwoodDurwood Senior MemberPosts: 972 Senior Member
Got him on Tuesday evening...He came in to rattling and grunting. 10yd shot. Using a Parker Enforcer 2015 model.

11pt%20cbk1_zpsoohlflev.jpg
11pt%20cbk2_zpswbhkj6r1.jpg
You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
«1

Replies

  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Dude!!!

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Another Bruiser! Congratulations...really nice buck!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Sweet buck, man! Fantastic job calling him in! Parker makes some of the most underrated crossbows out there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Wow! Congratulations.

    Looks like an interesting rack ( with character). Is that typical for the area you hunt?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Thanks for the nice comments. This is my biggest buck by any method, though I've killed wider racked bucks...this one was 18" inside.

    I switched to Parker Crossbows after Horton went broke. Parkers are quiet and fairly light and compact which is what I like in a crossbow. Not the fastest by any means...

    Yes, orchidman racks with character are fairly common in the area.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Holy CRAP!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Taken on Corp Ground (public) at an undisclosed location that I've hunted for over 20 years...never seen another hunter.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    More congratulations on a personal best.
    Durwood wrote: »
    Taken on Corp Ground (public) at an undisclosed location that I've hunted for over 20 years...never seen another hunter.

    Even better. Having a place like that to yourself gives you peace of mind.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,687 Senior Member
    Have you had it scored yet? That's certainly a nice one.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    What an awesome buck!!! He has great mass, and that brow tine...holy.....looks like you made a great shot. How far did he go after the shot? Congrats!!!!:beer:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Durwood wrote: »
    Thanks for the nice comments. This is my biggest buck by any method, though I've killed wider racked bucks...this one was 18" inside.

    I switched to Parker Crossbows after Horton went broke. Parkers are quiet and fairly light and compact which is what I like in a crossbow. Not the fastest by any means...

    Yes, orchidman racks with character are fairly common in the area.

    Funny you say that...I switched to Parker after selling a Horton, too. In my case, it was a Team Realtree Ultralite that I never warmed up to because the accuracy was mediocre, at best. I find the Parker's accuracy to be amazing and am scared to group it at 20 yards for fear of splitting an arrow. Seems yours shoot about as good. Once again, man, fantastic buck!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Have you had it scored yet? That's certainly a nice one.

    The taxidermist rough scored it as 160ish
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    What an awesome buck!!! He has great mass, and that brow tine...holy.....looks like you made a great shot. How far did he go after the shot? Congrats!!!!:beer:

    He went 50-60yds...very little blood though. No exit because it went through the shoulder. He was only slightly angled away.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Funny you say that...I switched to Parker after selling a Horton, too. In my case, it was a Team Realtree Ultralite that I never warmed up to because the accuracy was mediocre, at best. I find the Parker's accuracy to be amazing and am scared to group it at 20 yards for fear of splitting an arrow. Seems yours shoot about as good. Once again, man, fantastic buck!

    Yes, Parkers are super accurate. Way more accurate than any of the three Horton's I owned in the past.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    This is a very special deer to me for many reasons, but mainly because my kidney transplant of 19 years failed in April. I've been doing home dialysis at night since June. Peritoneal dialysis it's called. Way better than In Center for those that know what I'm talking about. So thankful to be able to feel good enough to get out there!!!
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    Great deer, hey.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    HOLY CRAP!! That's a great buck!! Clear a spot on the wall!!
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Yep familiar with both types, glad the PD is working for you :up:

    Concerning the deer.... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! :yikes: He's quite the monster :worthy:
    congrats!!!! :beer:

    I've killed quite a few deer over the years, but I honestly believe I'd develop a SEVERE case of buck fever if I had THAT beast in my sights

    It literally happened so fast...I had last grunted and rattled maybe ten minutes prior to his arrival. I turned around just as he closed the last few yards at a fast walk and stopped at 10 yards. I somehow managed to remain somewhat calm for the shot (I remember raising the crossbow and taking the shot, but not taking off the safety)--autopilot I guess. I kept saying to myself, "don't eff this up"...it was shortly afterwards that I just about passed out, lol. Especially when I couldn't will him to fall down as he ran away. Thankfully not far though.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Very, very nice!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Thats a wall hanger for sure. Congratulations
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I can't say anything

    I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I can't say anything

    I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor

    I heard that early, that is one fine deer. Great Job on all counts, calling, shooting, staying calm, all of it. Great Job. Now take care of yourself and mind the docs so you'll be around to stare at him with satisfaction there on the wall for many years to come.

    PS-I think you need to have your wall re-enforced to hold that Brute up there.___:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Durwood wrote: »
    Taken on Corp Ground (public) at an undisclosed location that I've hunted for over 20 years...never seen another hunter.

    That is one nice whitetail. Congrats!!!

    Without divulging too much info, can you at least tell me what state this is in? It doesn't look like typical whitetail country to me. I know that whitetail are becoming more and more widespread in classic mule deer country, which is what this country looks like to me. In Colorado, the Department of Wildlife has gone to the extreme of selling OTC whitetail only tags in certain areas just to keep their population down and stop them from taking over.

    Once again, congratulations on a great buck.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Holy Smokes, that is a nice buck. Well done :up:
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Wow! Great looking buck!
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    That is one nice whitetail. Congrats!!!

    Without divulging too much info, can you at least tell me what state this is in? It doesn't look like typical whitetail country to me. I know that whitetail are becoming more and more widespread in classic mule deer country, which is what this country looks like to me. In Colorado, the Department of Wildlife has gone to the extreme of selling OTC whitetail only tags in certain areas just to keep their population down and stop them from taking over.

    Once again, congratulations on a great buck.

    He was taken in Monroe County, Missouri. The background (where he died) doesn't look like typical whitetail country now that you mention it, but only 50 yards away does...a large forested area of mast producing hardwoods.

    Thanks for the nice complement!
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I heard that early, that is one fine deer. Great Job on all counts, calling, shooting, staying calm, all of it. Great Job. Now take care of yourself and mind the docs so you'll be around to stare at him with satisfaction there on the wall for many years to come.

    PS-I think you need to have your wall re-enforced to hold that Brute up there.___:tooth:

    Thank you kindly sir...hopefully another transplant someday. For now I'm managing pretty well and doing what I gotta do...
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Durwood wrote: »
    The background (where he died) doesn't look like typical whitetail country !

    Whitetail country is anyplace you get a deer , and congrats on getting a really great buck.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement