Home Main Category Hunting

Doe with the .30-06 Encore Pistol.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,455 Senior Member
Had a date to cull another doe at the same ranch as last Sunday. So, I took the 15" MGM Barreled Encore Pistol in .30-06 Springfield to the range this morning to get her zeroed with the new loads I's made. Sighted it in for 2" high @ 100 yards. That gives me a center hold to about 275 yards and only 6.7" low at 300 yards.

11-11-15%20Zero_zpslkqkefwa.jpg

That'll do.

Met my rancher friend at his work shop at 3:45 this afternoon. Hung out and visited for a bit. He knew I was intending to use my pistol and one of the first things he asked was to see my "Pocket Pistol". He was rather impressed when I.......whipped it out. Most people are. Anyway................he liked the Encore pistol too. Had never seen anything like it before but figured it would do. Asked why I didn't just go ahead and build it in .300 WM. I reminded him of the point of diminishing return and he laughingly said he wanted a night time pictures of me shooting this gun.

Anyway, after visiting, we set out to the stand he wanted me to hunt from. Having no clue what time the feeder went off, he poured corn out underneath the feeder for good measure and we climbed up in the box stand.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2017_zpssumtssiv.jpg

That is the stand in the background.

I had brought a tripod to put my camera on in order to film the shot. But, I was anticipating shooting from the ground with a bipod. Being in the box blind with a window shelf........I needed a rear support. So, I had to use the top of the tripod for my rear support and my rear bag as a front rest. The bipod would have been too tall for the window. Improvise.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%203_zpsuxuff8df.jpg

I'm not a box blind/feeder fan. Too cramped and limited. But...........when in Rome..............we aim to please. Fortunately, we only waited 5 minutes before a doe showed up. He said, "That's a shooter." Hell! I hadn't even gotten my GUN out of the case! I told him I'd shoot her if she was still there when I got set up. Dragging my feet to enjoy the time and sun set..........I finally got ready...........and she was still there.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%206_zpsrojdwtnf.jpg

Oh well. Guess it was time to go to work. Besides.......this was a cull hunt and the man wanted her gone. When in Rome...............we aim to please.

Now, I'd handed him my camera and asked if he could film the shot. He is an old school individual. Great guy. Great shot. Absolute gun nut!!! He and I get along great! But..........he ain't a camera guy. We waited for the doe to finally quarter away and I told him I was ready. He started recording..........shakily. The doe was right at 100 yards away. I held slightly low on the chest and slightly back to account for the high zero and quartering shot.

BOOM!!!!

The doe jumped in the air and began to stumble away. I reacquired her in the scope as she hobbled towards the brush. I knew she was going down as she was doing the death run..........lower......and lower.....and lower to the ground like a plane losing altitude before a crash. All her effort was put into making the brush. Which, she did. And immediately tumbled over. Making it maybe 30 yards after impact.

The video? Yeah. There is one. You see the deer. And at the shot............the ceiling..........the floor........and then the deer again as she stumbles for the brush line. The rancher cussing at her the whole way. As if the increased level of profanity would somehow prevent her from making the brush. Then, when she did make the brush.........he emphatically expressed his displeasure with that result..........and finished with "I hope this doesn't have sound." Yeah..........it does.

So, you won't get to see the video. Not much to see anyway. Just a few shaky clips of the deer before the shot. Then the blind. Then a few frames of the deer running. Then the blind. All cemented together by cuss words. I like the guy. A lot! He ain't a camera man. God love'em!

I told him she was down just inside the brush and we got down from the blind. Walked over to the impact point and then followed (just because) the rather large blood trail to the edge of the brush.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%207_zps8spwa7vf.jpg

And right over the cactus............

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%208_zps4eudr5h2.jpg

The exit hole as she fell.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%209_zpsoypudxtm.jpg

And the first game animal with my new MGM Barreled Encore.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2012_zpsdg16cohk.jpg

Nothing special. Just a brush country doe. But, being out and about with friends and guns surrounded by beautiful scenery is what it's all about.

Loaded her up, filled out the MLD Tag (Management Tag), thanked my friend...........and took her home. About 5 minutes away. It was rough, I tell ya.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,455 Senior Member
    Bullet: 125gr Hornady SST
    Muzzle Velocity: 2,964 fps
    Distance to Target: 100 yards
    Placement: Quartering Away Through Both Lungs
    Impact Velocity: 2,660 fps (estimated)
    Distance Traveled: Approximately 30 yards

Entrance:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2018_zpsjsqbu5sh.jpg

Entrance Under Hide:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2020_zpsjdhrxboj.jpg

Entrance Under Shoulder: (broke 2 ribs)
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2022_zpsajj0cbsm.jpg

Entrance Ribs Removed:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2023_zpssdlwezxx.jpg

Entrance Left Lung:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2030_zpsaunhvifm.jpg

Path through Lungs:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2035_zpswvrz7n2j.jpg

Exit Right Lung:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2034_zpswdohukjw.jpg

Exit to Ribs:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2024_zpsn2uzqexa.jpg

Exit Through Ribs: (broke 1 rib)
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2028_zpsuiwexdjk.jpg

Exit Under Shoulder:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2027_zpsnyt7znok.jpg

Exit Under Hide: (Behind Shoulder)
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2026_zpszdcgojjq.jpg

Exit:
    30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%2019_zpspbjx43h7.jpg

It was like a bomb went off inside her. According to Hornady, the top end of this bullet's velocity threshold is 3,200 fps. That would be something to see. Because at just shy of 2,700 fps........it turned her innards to soup. I'd say it worked.

Short hunt. Fun hunt. Educational hunt. No worries.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Excellent report! That 125gr Hornady-- do you happen to know the bottom velocity end for that bullet? I am debating using it for my Contender pistol in 30/30.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Great shooting!
    That pistol is a keeper.
    I have those same calipers.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,494 Senior Member
    That worked well! Good job!!!
    Whipped your pocket pistol out and he was impressed??? Most people are???
    I have no words to share right now:uhm:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    Awesome report. Your description of the video made me laugh- because I know people JUST like that.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Beautiful quartering shot. The short run makes life a lot better (especially seeing that cactus patch you guys have to slog through down there).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Excellent report! That 125gr Hornady-- do you happen to know the bottom velocity end for that bullet? I am debating using it for my Contender pistol in 30/30.

I don't recall the bottom end. I'd have to call them back. But, I'd researched that before when I considered them for my .30-30 AI Contender Pistol as well. I subsequently use that bullet in that gun and took a large buck with it last year. Excellent performance in that gun too.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Awesome report and hunt as always. One question thought, what's up with the 125's - I thought you were a 160 grain plus guy. Just for science? And how would you compare the heavier bullets to the lighter bullets? Looks like they are doing their job, but there are a lot of your reports where they are dropping in their tracks.....heavier bullets? Or just different shot placement?

Anyway....your the man as always.....Congrats. :beer:

Added: One more question...would like to see how you are skinning, cleaning your deer, do you not hang them? Just curious more than anything.
    early wrote: »
    Great shooting!
    That pistol is a keeper.
    I have those same calipers.

Thanks. I think it'll do.

I have two of those calipers. Broke the roller ball off my first set when the wind blew my target off the bench at the range and the calipers were sitting on it. Still works. Just have to push and pull the adjustment instead of rolling it.

They seem accurate enough.
    Also, just as a side note...I pulled my Encore .30-06 out of the safe last night to take for Missouri deer season this weekend. Found the front mount on the scope mount was stripped....to much recoil and trashed the leupold aluminum mounts. Going to have to go a different route there.....suggestions?
    Whipped your pocket pistol out and he was impressed??? Most people are???
    I have no words to share right now:uhm:

http://youtu.be/_Dvpi6t4PEI
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The work you put into documenting each kill is impressive. I have learned quite a bit from your write ups, thank you for doing them.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    twa wrote: »
    One question thought, what's up with the 125's - I thought you were a 160 grain plus guy. Just for science? And how would you compare the heavier bullets to the lighter bullets? Looks like they are doing their job, but there are a lot of your reports where they are dropping in their tracks.....heavier bullets? Or just different shot placement?

Anyway....your the man as always.....Congrats. :beer:

Added: One more question...would like to see how you are skinning, cleaning your deer, do you not hang them? Just curious more than anything.

I am typically a heavy for caliber kinda guy. Using 168gr A-Max mostly in my .308 Winchester and 165gr Sierra HPBT Game Kings or 180gr SST in my .30-06 rifles. But, when I built my .30-30 AI Contender Pistol, I opted for the 125gr SST due to the reduced muzzle velocity resulting from a smaller cartridge in a short barrel. That gun pushes the 125gr SST at a muzzle velocity of 2,550 fps. I also tried that bullet in my 16" .308 Winchester rifle which pushes the bullet along at 2,883 fps muzzle velocity. It has worked exceptionally well in those two guns. Both at the range and in the field.

When it came time to work up a load for the .30-06 Encore Pistol, the options I had on my shelf were:

110gr Varmagedon (200 ct)
    125gr SST (400 ct)
    165gr Ballistic Tip (100 ct)
    165gr Sierra HPBT GK (300 ct)
    180gr Ballistic Tip (100 ct)

I knew the 125gr worked well out of shorter barrels. I also figured they would work better at reduced velocities.

Heavier bullets with higher BC will retain their velocity further out. No doubt about that. But, doing the math at my target distance, the velocities ended up about the same. So, whether or not I started them out at difference velocities (heavy bullet/light bullet), they ended up the same at my max distance. Which means, at the distance I expected to use this gun on a regular basis..........sub 200 yards............I could generate more velocity and resulting hydrostatic shock going with a lighter bullet. As seen in this doe.

This is not a long range gun for me. My velocity will get me to a little over 400 yards comfortably. But, I will most likely stay under 300 yards and the majority of shots will be under 150. Therefore, I don't need the added benefit of a higher BC bullet.

Plus...........I had 400 of them as compared to the others. If the 125s hadn't worked, I had planned to try the 165gr Ballistic Tip. The 165gr Sierra HPBT-GK just have too low a BC to consider in a short barreled/lower velocity platform in my opinion. Great rifle bullet. Not so much in a pistol.

Skinning: If I am not doing an autopsy.......I hang them and rip/roar through the guts and skinning.

When science is being conducted, I want them flat. All the pieces parts stay where they are supposed to while I dissect for pictures. I lay the animals on a tarp on the tailgate of my truck. Kinda like a work bench. I don't have to bend over and kill my back.
    Also, just as a side note...I pulled my Encore .30-06 out of the safe last night to take for Missouri deer season this weekend. Found the front mount on the scope mount was stripped....to much recoil and trashed the leupold aluminum mounts. Going to have to go a different route there.....suggestions?

Did you tighten the screws to 25 inch pounds of torque? Then use Blue LockTite?

Are you saying the front scope ring was stripped? Or the base?

Did you tighten the rings to the same 25 inch pounds?
    The work you put into documenting each kill is impressive. I have learned quite a bit from your write ups, thank you for doing them.

Science!!!!

I'm learning at the same time. You all learning is just a byproduct of ME learning!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Once again, nice shootin' and great follow up story.

How's the recoil on that "pocket pistol"? I've shot enough 30-06 rifles to know they have a fair amount of recoil. Just the thought of shooting an 06 from a platform that small makes my hand hurt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Zee wrote: »
    Did you tighten the screws to 25 inch pounds of torque? Then use Blue LockTite?

Are you saying the front scope ring was stripped? Or the base?

Did you tighten the rings to the same 25 inch pounds?

Not the base, the bottom screw holding the rings onto the base - actually now that I think about it, I believe they are weavers. And no, guilty as charged to not tightening to specs.
    Not the base, the bottom screw holding the rings onto the base - actually now that I think about it, I believe they are weavers. And no, guilty as charged to not tightening to specs.

tumblr_n9k60oNksn1t2knwfo1_540_zpsrwxioeop.jpg
    tumblr_n9k60oNksn1t2knwfo1_540_zpsrwxioeop.jpg

Yep, dumbbutt here, I have got to get a fat wrench. It was bound to happen sooner or later, this is the first problem I have had in 30 plus years of not tightening to specs. - my "hand" specs have been good for a very long time, I am losing my touch obviously. :roll:
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Once again, nice shootin' and great follow up story.

How's the recoil on that "pocket pistol"? I've shot enough 30-06 rifles to know they have a fair amount of recoil. Just the thought of shooting an 06 from a platform that small makes my hand hurt.

Here is a slow-motion video of the recoil with 173gr Match Rounds.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/lovinmycaitlynn/Shooting/06%20Recoil%20173gr%20Match%20%20300yrd_zpsyjx7zkvc.mp4

Here is the blast with that ammo.

IMG_2670_zpsiklmcfw7.png

And max recoil.

IMG_2671_zpslhkooc7e.png

It doesn't hurt at all and the blast isn't bad for the shooter. There is enough weight forward with the full bull barrel to tame any ill side effects to the shooter. It just...........moves.
    The star is where she was standing at impact and the arrow is where she fell behind that cactus.

30-06%20Encore%20Doe%2011-11-15%206%20-%20Shot%20amp%20Fall_zps97vd5dzi.jpg
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member

:agree::that:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    :agree::that:

55AE930D-D9C1-42B1-97A3-8130EB55CB42_zpsx2luigaz.gif
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,494 Senior Member
    Now we know where you carry that Encore. I vaguely remember your skin being a lighter though...musthaveoldtimersdisease
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Your reports never disappoint me Zee.

The terminal performance of the 125gr is similar to the performance from a 130gr out of my T3 7mm08 ( I shot a cull doe last year and the poi was almost identical.......and your description of 'soup' is spot on)

Reading your description of the video had me in stitches. I have had the same thing happen when trying to video duck culls. Makes for entertaining watching but not able to be presented for public viewing Lol.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    55AE930D-D9C1-42B1-97A3-8130EB55CB42_zpsx2luigaz.gif

...hello, boys...
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Which scope do you have on that thing again?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Which scope do you have on that thing again?
    2.5-8x Weaver
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    ...hello, boys...

Exactly.
    Science!

16" Barreled .308 Winchester
    125gr SST
    49gr H4895