Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Trump's attack on Ben Carson and Carson's supporters.

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,933 Senior Member
Who is it helping, and who is it hurting?

It makes me despise Trump and like Carson even more. I'm to the point where I can't stand "The Donald" because of his braggadocio and BS, and vicious attacks on anyone who threatens him. If anyone is "pathological", it's him. If the race is between Hillary and Trump, I would have to seriously consider not voting.

However, given the political climate this year, all of Trump's attacks might just work in his favor. He's made personal attacks against Fiorina, which she handled very well, and it didn't seem to hurt him. He's really gone after Jeb Bush, and that strategy seems to be working, too. And now, he's going after Carson and Rubio (see link posted below).

At what point will the GOP faithful say enough and turn their back on this guy?

http://news.yahoo.com/trump-questions-carsons-pathological-temper-faith-081653699--election.html#
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
«1

Replies

  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Thank goodness he's finally blowing up his own campaign, instead of waiting for the media to do it. This is going to hurt him a lot. It may not discourage the 25% that like him no matter what, but he can kiss the undecided voters goodbye, if they hadn't already discarded him.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    I do not care for what "The Donald" is doing, but Dr. Carson got caught in a blatant lie regarding West Point.
    No way to argue as there is no such thing as a scholarship to West Point. If he has said that Gen Westmoreland had said "I can get you into West Point" it would be believable. I thought he was the honest candidate, now I don't believe any of them.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Well, he would have been 17-18 years old when he was considering what college to attend, and if he wasn't interested in West Point, why would he know that they do things differently? It's entirely possible a kid might have extrapolated a soldier's comment into an actual offer. I'd hate to be brought to account for my incorrect memories of everything that happened 46 years ago.

    Carson isn't my favorite, but I won't brand him a liar over something like that, when there are plenty of politicians that get away with it when it's actually recorded on video.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,933 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Well, he would have been 17-18 years old when he was considering what college to attend, and if he wasn't interested in West Point, why would he know that they do things differently? It's entirely possible a kid might have extrapolated a soldier's comment into an actual offer. I'd hate to be brought to account for my incorrect memories of everything that happened 46 years ago.

    Carson isn't my favorite, but I won't brand him a liar over something like that, when there are plenty of politicians that get away with it when it's actually recorded on video.

    :that:
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The Gen (Westmoreland) wasn't even there. But like Hillary/Obammy and many others he probably embellished his book. However, they never get the intense scrutiny any REP does.

    Gotta admit trying to hit your mother with a hammer and stabbing someone isn't something folks claim everyday. Trump compared him to a child molester in the sense they can never be cured of their pathological issues. He shouldn't have said that in the way he did.

    Will it hurt him...........who knows other things haven't.

    West Point doesn't give scholarships, it is free to those accepted, which the young Carson probably didn't know and just took it to mean that when someone in uniform said they could help get him accepted.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,933 Senior Member
    Does it seem odd to anyone that while the media is turning over every stone and looking under every root in Carson's past, no one seems interested in vetting Trump? He's been attacked on his immigration policy, but I haven't really seen anything about his past other than he's bankrupted 4 companies and left his creditors holding the bag. I find it hard to believe that there's no skeletons in Trump's closet. It's almost as if the media would like him to get the Republican nomination. If that happens, you can bet your bottom dollar that every sordid detail from his past will make front page news.

    Also, FWIW, I don't think that Trump even believes he can deport 11-12 million illegals, and their families. He's be doing good to find half of them.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Does it seem odd to anyone that while the media is turning over every stone and looking under every root in Carson's past, no one seems interested in vetting Trump? He's been attacked on his immigration policy, but I haven't really seen anything about his past other than he's bankrupted 4 companies and left his creditors holding the bag. I find it hard to believe that there's no skeletons in Trump's closet. It's almost as if the media would like him to get the Republican nomination. If that happens, you can bet your bottom dollar that every sordid detail from his past will make front page news.

    Also, FWIW, I don't think that Trump even believes he can deport 11-12 million illegals, and their families. He's be doing good to find half of them.

    Most of Trumps past is out there, the Trumpeters just ignore his past.

    FYI Ike and Truman (?) deported about 6 mil. That was before puters. I am pretty sure it can be done with a lot less effort than some people want to make you think. But I would take half.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They are asking how he will deport so many, will he make a new Deportation Police force and kick in doors and all that rot....................no need, we already have the Border Patrol and city/county/state police that IF allowed and told to do their job should be able to detain and turn ILLEGALS over to ICE for immediate deportation.

    Another way is to arrest any business that knowingly hires illegals..................just gotta have the will to enforce the laws already on the books. And like they said those arrested for a criminal act and who have a record will go first.

    Just have to overcome the OMG vision of families being ripped apart by Gestapo like police dragging people away in the middle of the night....... as the whiners put it ................

    We need to close our border first off, put up a wall (and it can work) never completed tried here before, so how can they say it wouldn't work?

    It is not the turn of the 20th Century and as nice as all that nation of immigrants, give us your huddled masses stuff sounds, things are much different today. Sure let them continue to come in documented and legally. Why should the ones who sneaked in be allowed to go to the head of the line before those who have been doing all the right and legal things to get in?

    There is a limit of how many and of what culture they come from we can absorb into our society.

    Americans, our citizens should come first!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,933 Senior Member
    Most of Trumps past is out there, the Trumpeters just ignore his past.

    FYI Ike and Truman (?) deported about 6 mil. That was before puters. I am pretty sure it can be done with a lot less effort than some people want to make you think. But I would take half.

    The "Trumpeters" aren't the only ones who are ignoring Trump's past. The press is too.

    As for the 6 mil figure, that's the first I've heard of it being that high. Even Trump puts the figure somewhere around 1.5 and 2 million. Regardless, the big difference is the political climate and advocacy groups. Trying to deport this many illegals would make for a huge cry of outrage, court battles and so on and so forth.

    As for Trump himself, his main talent is in manipulating the press. He makes these outrageous claims, and the press follows blindly along, ignoring the important issues of the campaign.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    He will still get my vote for Prez if he gets the nod. There was an article where the GOP establishment is trying to oust Trump/Carson and put Romney in again..........he has had his chance...................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    He will still get my vote for Prez if he gets the nod. There was an article where the GOP establishment is trying to oust Trump/Carson and put Romney in again..........he has had his chance...................
    I'm with you BC. The "GOP establishment" has only shown that they're competent at losing elections.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I do not care for what "The Donald" is doing, but Dr. Carson got caught in a blatant lie regarding West Point.
    No way to argue as there is no such thing as a scholarship to West Point. If he has said that Gen Westmoreland had said "I can get you into West Point" it would be believable. I thought he was the honest candidate, now I don't believe any of them.
    I have to call BS on the whole thing.

    Officially an appointment; but, to the uninformed civilian it is a scholarship. Shoot, those kadets even get paid, I did not get a dime except for $60 a month when I was on active duty for 2 period of 6 weeks.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I do not care for what "The Donald" is doing, but Dr. Carson got caught in a blatant lie regarding West Point.
    No way to argue as there is no such thing as a scholarship to West Point. If he has said that Gen Westmoreland had said "I can get you into West Point" it would be believable. I thought he was the honest candidate, now I don't believe any of them.

    My son's High School counted his appointment to the Naval Academy as a "scholarship"....when they announced the total dollar value of the scholarships of the graduating class, his was well over half of the total. Also - He was accepted by the Academy BEFORE he got his Congressional Appointment - the powers that be ensured the congressman made the appointment they desired...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Trumps comment about ISIS; "I'll bomb the FXXX out of them" leads me to believe he might have had a nip or two before making his statement....Not that I disagree with the concept....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Trump is pretty darn close to where I stand on many things; Carson, not so much with his Christianist rhetoric. But I'll vote for either one!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TxwheelsTxwheels Member Posts: 151 Member
    Trump is only saying what a lot of people are too afraid to say on various things including Carson's past.

    He doesn't believe in or practice political correctness and I'm fine with that!
    If I don't answer the phone, I'm probably in the Senate taking a POTUS and wiping my Congress
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Txwheels wrote: »
    Trump is only saying what a lot of people are too afraid to say on various things including Carson's past.

    He doesn't believe in or practice political correctness and I'm fine with that!
    I pretty much agree - although I don't know the Sam Hell about Carson's past (either way). I'm glad Trump is saying what he's saying; win, lose, or draw.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    They wouldn't even have to deport anyone. Cut off the government benefits, education and punish companies for hiring illegals....they will self-deport.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Who is it helping, and who is it hurting?

    It makes me despise Trump and like Carson even more. I'm to the point where I can't stand "The Donald" because of his braggadocio and BS, and vicious attacks on anyone who threatens him. If anyone is "pathological", it's him. If the race is between Hillary and Trump, I would have to seriously consider not voting.

    However, given the political climate this year, all of Trump's attacks might just work in his favor. He's made personal attacks against Fiorina, which she handled very well, and it didn't seem to hurt him. He's really gone after Jeb Bush, and that strategy seems to be working, too. And now, he's going after Carson and Rubio (see link posted below).

    At what point will the GOP faithful say enough and turn their back on this guy?

    http://news.yahoo.com/trump-questions-carsons-pathological-temper-faith-081653699--election.html#

    I don't know which GOP Faithful you're talking about, but the GOP Establishment is trying everything they can to hurt Carson and Trump and anybody that doesn't fit their mold as the perfect Republican.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The GOP 'establishment' wants somebody who will play ball with them.

    They would have preferred Christie or Bush, but they can see possibilities for Rubio, since he got sucked into the Gang of Eight with their BS amnesty ploy. But, when Rubio finally understood that the border security half of the plan would never happen, he tried to distance himself, with little success. It is the only thing holding him back, with knowledgable voters, except maybe his boyish appearance. The Republican leadership is courting him, but still unsure, whereas they know beyond any doubt that they don't want Trump, Carson, Cruz, or Paul because all have made it clear that they will battle the status quo. Trump and Carson are wild cards, but Cruz and Paul have both conducted their anti-establishment fights exactly as they promised voters that they would, and that means another 'Reagan Revolution' to them, which they would truly hate.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    POLL: TRUMP SURGES TO 42%...Trump surges among likely Republican primary voters: Reuters/Ipsos poll

    http://news.yahoo.com/trump-surges-among-likely-republican-primary-voters-reuters-213521679.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Most of Trumps past is out there, the Trumpeters just ignore his past.

    FYI Ike and Truman (?) deported about 6 mil. That was before puters. I am pretty sure it can be done with a lot less effort than some people want to make you think. But I would take half.

    Yep it can be done if politicians have the balls to do it. But what Trump is getting wrong here is he is claiming he will strip people of their already established citizenship and deport them, which Ain't Happening. He's full of it on this count. Illegals that don't yet have citizenship? Yeah deport their ass. But Citizens, no matter how they got it, if they were granted it by law, will be another matter altogether.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Trump isn"t my favorite by a longshot, but I still stand by this, that as bad as trump can sound he will still be a better choice than Hillary or Bernie any day. Another Dem will be a disaster and our eventual downfall. If it comes down to Hillary or Bernie and Trump, Trump will still get my vote. I will hold my nose and do it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The fact that an obnoxious jerk like Trump is getting any traction at all speaks volumes about just how badly our political system has deteriorated. The general population is utterly disgusted with politicians in general, and the letter R or D following their names is getting less and less relevant. Anybody who has been in Washington for more than a term or two has to be regarded with a healthy dose of suspicion- - - -the place corrupts even the most dedicated people in record time!
    Jerry
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I will vote for the Republican nominee. Trump is a loud mouth and Carson is too timid. We need a President that WILL stand up for the country. We need a leader that will lead. This country needs to once again a World Power and not a World Cower! Our government is out of control and needs to shrink in size. Who will get it done? A debate between Trump and Hildebeast will be priceless. Trump may not be who we want but he may be what we need. Remember the spoon of medicine your Mom used to give you? Tasted horrible but you got better! It also kept you from laying out of school. :bang: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The fact that an obnoxious jerk like Trump is getting any traction at all speaks volumes about just how badly our political system has deteriorated. The general population is utterly disgusted with politicians in general, and the letter R or D following their names is getting less and less relevant. Anybody who has been in Washington for more than a term or two has to be regarded with a healthy dose of suspicion- - - -the place corrupts even the most dedicated people in record time!
    Jerry
    This is a very good point - yea, he's obnoxious as Hell. He's also the only one who has the cajones to say what needs to be said. I really, and truly, hope that he has what it takes to back up his "big talk". Because its needed.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The trouble is, Trump can't tell legislators "You're Fired!"- - - - -That's our job, assuming there are enough of us left to give the career politicians their walking papers, or a long term lease on a small piece of real estate!
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The trouble is, Trump can't tell legislators "You're Fired!"- - - - -That's our job, assuming there are enough of us left to give the career politicians their walking papers, or a long term lease on a small piece of real estate!
    Jerry
    Yea, ya gots a point - but most of 'em NEED to be fired!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The fact that an obnoxious jerk like Trump is getting any traction at all speaks volumes about just how badly our political system has deteriorated. The general population is utterly disgusted with politicians in general, and the letter R or D following their names is getting less and less relevant. Anybody who has been in Washington for more than a term or two has to be regarded with a healthy dose of suspicion- - - -the place corrupts even the most dedicated people in record time!
    Jerry

    Believe this Teach with all your heart, your words do NOT fall on deaf ears here, with me. I feel the same way about Trump. I would rather Jeb Bush than Trump. But, Trump is way yonder a better choice than the Pant Suite **** or Bernie the Commie. Like I've said, and will say again ( you listening CPJ?) if it comes down to it, whoever is on the Republican ticket will get my vote. As things are looking it won't be a RINO. Trump, Carsen, Rubio, and hell even Cruz (He's making headway now) are the Republican leaders now. The only issue it seems will be Trump. So we won't have to hold our nose too hard to vote Repub. That's good news. I actually believe Trump can do a good job. It's just the thought of having to listen to all that bragging everyday for up to 8 years. But I'd rather hear that than see Pantsuit select a SCOTUS Justice. Can you imagine?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    I will vote for the Republican nominee. Trump is a loud mouth and Carson is too timid. We need a President that WILL stand up for the country. We need a leader that will lead. This country needs to once again a World Power and not a World Cower! Our government is out of control and needs to shrink in size. Who will get it done? A debate between Trump and Hildebeast will be priceless. Trump may not be who we want but he may be what we need. Remember the spoon of medicine your Mom used to give you? Tasted horrible but you got better! It also kept you from laying out of school. :bang: Later,

    Billy I usually will agree with most you say here, but I don't think you're seeing Carson real clear here. I see him as just soft spoken. But I don't think he will let anyone run over him. Did you see what he said about a Muslim President? And he comes back on Trump pretty good. He just doesn't raise his voice a lot. Remember what Teddy R. said, "Speak Softly But Carry a Big Stick" and that appears to be what he does. He doesn't launch into a tirade, he just says what it is. And sometimes that makes a better impression on people than going off on them like Trump does.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement