Home Main Category Hunting

Went fox hunting yesterday.........

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,364 Senior Member
Due to the charter being cancelled cos of bad weather ..........and in spite of 35knot winds I teamed up with Bloodhound to head to his farm block, do some fencing and other tasks. Didn't need any venison so all we took were our .22's...........and about 400 rounds of ammo each.

After fixing the fences we adjourned to the hut for a break and a cold drink. While sitting on the deck I noticed a couple of foxes sneaking up on us and pointed them out to him. With great care and stealth we uncased our 22.s ( His BRNO and my cheap Norinco copy) loaded up our magazines and got set up to shoot. Range was about 60yds.
We picked our separate targets, counted down from 5 and when I got to three, he fired and I fired when I finished the count at zero.

We both missed!

A quick rack of the bolt and our second shots were away...........

His dropped on the spot but unfortunately I didn't take into account the wind and only just wounded mine............the third round out of the Norinco dropped it however.

Nek Minit we saw 6 more in a good position to shoot and it was all on! 200+ rounds later we had accounted for about 45!!!!!

Now I know what you are gonna say............But there aint any foxes in Kiwiland

Well that's where you are wrong.

Check this out..................... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis

Yep, the foxgloves were in full flower and from the deck of the hut there were plenty at ranges from 20yds out to 80yds. With the wind, it was a matter of timing your shots between gusts but after the first 50 or so shots, we started to get the hang of it and were averaging about a 40% kill ratio.

I was a bit disappointed with the subsonic hollowpoint bullets performance. Expansion was not good and many stems had a complete pass through, leaving just a hole.............We then found out that if you nicked the upwind side of the stalk it was just a matter of time before the wind would knock it DRT.

The other thing we had to take into account was that the hut deck overlooks a gully which meant that we were shooting downhill.

The only question I guess you guys want the answer to is how did we skin them and what did they taste like?

The answers are 1. We plucked them as foxglove fur makes fantastic Fox Gloves and 2. They probably taste like chikkin...........

( apologies for lack of pics, I didn't have the camera with me.........)
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Sounds fun.
    Glad you didn't say you were making hats:tooth:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Foxglove is deadly poison or so I am told.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Now wait a minute! Do I understand that you were shooting flower stalks and not animals? That sounds crazy as hell to me! I must have missed something here.....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Now wait a minute! Do I understand that you were shooting flower stalks Yep...........and not animals? That sounds crazy as hell to me! I must have missed something here.....

You think that's crazy...............between lulls in the 'fox' hunting both Bloodhound and I came to the conclusion that there was something missing in our gun safes.....................and our Christmas present to ourselves is going to be a couple of black powder 'front stuffers'.......................which will be 'blooded' on 'Foxes' if they are still in flower then!!!
    early wrote: »
    Sounds fun.
    Glad you didn't say you were making hats:tooth:

I would never post up anything like wearing the fox's hat.........And you are spot on, it was lots of fun. I can see why people like fox hunting.......
    zorba wrote: »
    Snort!

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Got 4 more charters this week, weather permitting. If any of them are cancelled I am going to take the day off and go back with the 375 H&H magnum...........and will post video!

( You can never have too much 'gun' I reckon, some of them foxes just wouldn't die)
    cpj wrote: »
    No sir, that sounds relaxing as hell!
    Shooting silly targets with .22s with a good pal? Priceless.

It was Chris. And it brought out both our competitive natures in a good way.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    You may have foxes (or is it foxen) in Kiwi land, but you don't have any smart ones. :jester:

Sounds like you had a blast.

[ETA] I guess the joke's on me. I should have checked your web page first. At least I know now why they didn't run.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    No real 4 legged fox in Kiwi Land? Hummmm... That's interesting. Most wide-spread native-to-the-area animal in the world is the Red Fox! Covers the entire northern hemisphere and much of the South!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    No real 4 legged fox in Kiwi Land? Hummmm... That's interesting. Most wide-spread native-to-the-area animal in the world is the Red Fox! Covers the entire northern hemisphere and much of the South!
    No canine predators at all apart from feral dogs IIRC...pretty much confined to weasels, possum (not our possums), rodents, hedgehogs feral cats and hogs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

We don't have the 4 legged variety.........................but its coming into summer and there will be plenty of those 2 legged foxes parading around on the beaches soon......
    and judging by what I have seen so far, you could make 2-3 bikini's out of one black powder patch and a string pull through!!!!!