Home Main Category General Firearms

Red Bullets

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Got my order from Penn Bullets today. I was expecting regular lead cast 158 .38 SWCs, but to my surprise they were Polymer coated. They were in a transition /swap-over when I placed my order last month.

So I already had 180 .357 cases resized and primed so I went ahead and loaded up a tray of 80 and will do the other one tomorrow. Also got 150 .38 Spl cases ready to load. I decided to load them with 6.5 grains of Unique in .357 cases for some low end .357 target/general purpose loads. Probably load the .38s around 900 FPS or so.

I'm sure I can drive the .357s much faster and will try some that way later on.

Most likely be after Thanksgiving before I can hit the range again. I'm looking forward to seeing how they shoot.

Penn Bullets explained how they decided on the Polymer they choose on the website.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0218_zpsjuhwwvzb.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0219_zpslahuyikf.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Very Valentiney.

:jester:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I like em'
    Easy to find if dropped
    Unless the carpet is red
    Not likely nowdays
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • HastaHasta Member Posts: 56 Member
    I like using different color bullets because it makes finding them a lot easier.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    I thought this was going to be about Russian bullets.
    cpj wrote: »
    Looks like little tubes of lipstick. I bet this will push Zorba over the edge into reloading his ammo.

That and the sweet cover on Chief's reloading table
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That is a comforter on my bed, Mrs Chief keeps one on Winter and Summer and I usually throw it off me, but it did get into 50s last night...............she thinks we are in the depths of Winter..............it will warm up to the 70s later today.

I think the .357s will be somewhere between 1100-1200 FPS with 6.5 grains Unique because they more or less behave/loaded like regular cast bullets.

If I like them I'll order more and in .44/.45 cal. I've used plated and "Copperized" bullets before, but never any of the many different types using a Polymer coating.

This is interesting.....

http://www.pennbullets.com/pennbulletin.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Bullets look like the ones I brought to the Shoot this past Memorial Day. They can be pushed right fast with no chance of leading the barrel...........or at least mine can as I double coat them. Have some fun with them! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Something like the Nyclad bullets of long ago, AFAIK, the idea was to keep lead out of the rifling....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    tennmike wrote: »
    Bullets look like the ones I brought to the Shoot this past Memorial Day. They can be pushed right fast with no chance of leading the barrel...........or at least mine can as I double coat them. Have some fun with them! :tooth:
    I thought those were right fine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Looks like little tubes of lipstick. I bet this will push Zorba over the edge into reloading his ammo.

Yea, if it were available in a palette of colors!

I shot a total of 203 "Bayou Bullets" a couple of years ago, green colored coated. My Luger *loved* them!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba wrote: »
    Yea, if it were available in a palette of colors!

I shot a total of 203 "Bayou Bullets" a couple of years ago, green colored coated. My Luger *loved* them!

Powder coat paint comes in lots and lots of colors and is pretty easy to apply to cast bullets. You can have pretty much any color you want. Cast Boolits has tons of info on how to do it, too.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Powder coat paint comes in lots and lots of colors and is pretty easy to apply to cast bullets. You can have pretty much any color you want. Cast Boolits has tons of info on how to do it, too.

Yea, but what happens if I need to touchup my lipstick just before I go onstage, and I pull one of these out of my dance bag instead? :uhm::tooth:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Yea, but what happens if I need to touchup my lipstick just before I go onstage, and I pull one of these out of my dance bag instead? :uhm::tooth:

Your lipstick touchup with a coated bullet would be unsatisfactory. Sayin'.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Your lipstick touchup with a coated bullet would be unsatisfactory. Sayin'.

Exactly my point!

)O(
    Read that link to Penn Bullets and he explains some of the different methods/products used to coat bullets. I have no idy which is best and have never reloaded any before. Some places sell you the stuff to coat yer own.

I just hope they shoot good, don't care if they are purple :guns::guns:
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Read that link to Penn Bullets and he explains some of the different methods/products used to coat bullets. I have no idy which is best and have never reloaded any before. Some places sell you the stuff to coat yer own.

I just hope they shoot good, don't care if they are purple :guns::guns:

Good article! The "Bayou Bullets" I tried had the referenced "Hy-Tech" coating.

Let us know how these shoot. I also recently purchased 300 rds of Herter's aluminum cased "TNJ" (Total Nylon Jacket) in 9mm - blue color. Haven't tried 'em yet.

)O(
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about Russian bullets.

Yeah, that.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    toymachine wrote: »
    Yeah, that.

Chinese.

)O(
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Chinese.

The comforter has kind of a Ming Dynasty look to it.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Pretty neat and definitely a great way to keep track of differing load recipes.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Pretty neat and definitely a great way to keep track of differing load recipes.

I guess I could nickname them Red Hots or Hot Tomales...................:rotflmao:

Not loaded very hot anyway and I got plenty 158 JHPs for max loads. I'll see how they do.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I guess I could nickname them Red Hots or Hot Tomales...................:rotflmao:

Not loaded very hot anyway and I got plenty 158 JHPs for max loads. I'll see how they do.

The double coated bullets I did (look to be same profile bullet as yours) fired right well out of my single shot rifle I built, and I pushed them at OMG velocity just for kicks. No leading from them shooting out of an 18" barrel.
    ― Douglas Adams