Home Main Category General Firearms

Just picked up my new Ruger

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,911 Senior Member
Anyone who was reading the "Rethinking their Choice of CCW" thread in the Personal Defense section has probably noticed I was talking about getting a Stainless Ruger 1911. I just picked it up yesterday and it is a beauty. It's a compact stainless 4.25" barrel, .45 ACP with Rosewood grips and 2 7-round mags. I can't wait to get it to the range and I will give you my impression of it when I have time to go shooting.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Nice!! You suck.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Nice. I am going to have to get one of those some day but full sized. That and .45acp. I have 3 1911's and not a single one in .45. It is kind of embarrassing trying to call myself a gun nut and all.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Nice. I am going to have to get one of those some day but full sized. That and .45acp. I have 3 1911's and not a single one in .45. It is kind of embarrassing trying to call myself a gun nut and all.
    The only reason I got the compact instead of the full size was convenience. The 4.25" barrel is a bit lighter and more concealable. This is my first 45 and I'm a bit excited to get to shoot it soon.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    That looks pretty darn nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks great, you done good. :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Very nice.
    I like the plunger tube being intregal with the frame. I'm not a phan of skeletonized triggers though

The stock panels look excellent.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,370 Senior Member
    Envy!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Nice gun! I also like your picture composition - especially the "10 pin" bullet arrangement.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba wrote: »
    Nice gun! I also like your picture composition - especially the "10 pin" bullet arrangement.
    That's because if you get hit by one of those suckers, you gonna' get 'bowled over.' :devil:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Pretty much!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Very Nice
    I find the Commander sized 1911 in SS a close to perfect gun for carrying. I bet you fund yourself liking this one a lot.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Very Nice
    I find the Commander sized 1911 in SS a close to perfect gun for carrying. I bet you fund yourself liking this one a lot.
    I think so too, and I'm liking it a lot already.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    Nice grab! You suck!!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,370 Senior Member
    I have a soft spot for the Ruger 1911. I had one, it turned into my Range Officer. I would still like a replacement in that exact pistol. Nice snag!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    If I were in the market for a 1911, I'd give the Ruger serious thought. And definitely the Commander sized pistol, but if I could find a True Commander with an aluminum frame, I'd definitely go for that.

The skeletonized trigger is fine, IMO. The less mass you have to move on the trigger the easier all things being equal. My 1911 has a solid trigger and I would kinda like to replace it.

I'm way past competitive shooting and way into carry. Just not into 1911 carry. The smaller the lighter the better for me.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Oh man! That's sweet!!

Dang...I have got to get me a 1911
    I have been wanting a stainless 1911 almost since I first joined this forum when I was exposed to these pistols with some of the pictures posted by forum members and what I had seen in advertisements in gun mags. I guess what motivated me to actually buy one was the thread regarding rethinking your CCW in the PD area. Once I found out how inexpensive a quality pistol could be on the internet, and I could get one at my LGS as cheaply as the least expensive one I found on the internet, I decided to go for it. As always, the advice I received prior to this purchase from forum members has been extremely helpful. Thanks to all.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Gene L wrote: »
    If I were in the market for a 1911, I'd give the Ruger serious thought. And definitely the Commander sized pistol, but if I could find a True Commander with an aluminum frame, I'd definitely go for that.

The skeletonized trigger is fine, IMO. The less mass you have to move on the trigger the easier all things being equal. My 1911 has a solid trigger and I would kinda like to replace it.

I'm way past competitive shooting and way into carry. Just not into 1911 carry. The smaller the lighter the better for me.

I have a box of 50 rounds I'm going to put through it once I get to the range. The gun weighs 36 ounces I believe, which is a bit heavier than your average polymer-framed gun of the same size, so I will report my impression of it after I've shot the 50. Maybe it won't be too uncomfortable to shoot, since the weight of it will probably help balance out the recoil of it when fired.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Nice snag. A man has to have a 1911 of some sort. A good man has at least two. Great men have three or more. Ahem...
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    :agree::yousuck:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Congrats, you'll enjoy it. The kick will not bother you at all and you need to get another box on the way to the range, it's that much fun. Chip Mcormick mags work good in mine but they make several types so read the data, some require a min. COAL.

Gene, Ruger makes that very gun with an aluminum frame also, it's noticably lighter. the frame is black, slide SS.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Congrats, you'll enjoy it. The kick will not bother you at all and you need to get another box on the way to the range, it's that much fun. Chip Mcormick mags work good in mine but they make several types so read the data, some require a min. COAL.

Gene, Ruger makes that very gun with an aluminum frame also, it's noticably lighter. the frame is black, slide SS.

I'll probably do that, or when I run out get another in the store that has the range.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    It is an honor the get all the "you suck" and other well wishes. Now I know I have made the right purchase. :worthy:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Save yer brass.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Save yer brass.
    Currently I'm not doing any reloading, but I would be happy to save the brass for someone who does.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    We need to hit the range again one of these days.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    nice pickup! :applause:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Big Chief wrote: »
    We need to hit the range again one of these days.
    Yeah, I'd love to. I think JasonMPD was interested in going, if we could arrange something.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    Great choice. I have the exact same gun and have been VERY pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Anyone who was reading the "Rethinking their Choice of CCW" thread in the Personal Defense section has probably noticed I was talking about getting a Stainless Ruger 1911. I just picked it up yesterday and it is a beauty. It's a compact stainless 4.25" barrel, .45 ACP with Rosewood grips and 2 7-round mags. I can't wait to get it to the range and I will give you my impression of it when I have time to go shooting.

Noel, is this your first 1911?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Noel, is this your first 1911?
    Yes. I thought they were way more expensive than I recently found out, otherwise I might have gotten one sooner.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: