Home Main Category General Firearms

Gettin' serious with bedding the FN PBR.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,577 Senior Member
Picture #1 of hopefully a successful bottom metal bed. The Manners T4A is "pre made" for this action, but the front of the bottom metal was recessed in the stock about 3/32 too deep. It created a cant which would bind the magazine on insertion and removal. I single load mostly custom length handloads and it wasn't a huge deal. But I want to start shooting some matches that require magazine length ammo.

This isn't a load bearing surface so I chose JB Weld. Everything except the adhering surface was lathered in Johnson paste wax and masked with tape (tape on first, wax on tape). I used a 1/4" I.D. washer cut in half that was the perfect thickness to create no magazine binding and she's the basis for the bedding thickness.

From what squeezed out it looks like my portion was spot on. Even flashing without coming above the stock edge. And unsightly squeeze will be sanded off tomorrow. The stock will be getting paint soon so sand marks on the stock aren't bad.

20151128_154256.jpg

I have some DevCon to bed the recoil lug and rear tang of the receiver. I was erroneously under the impression that this Manners had an aluminum bedding block in it and that's why I put this off so long. But nope, just Kevlar and glass. She needs bedded. That'll be done during the week sometime.

Fingers crossed the bottom metal comes out with just a little tapping.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    First I ever heard of using JBW
    Looks good.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    First I ever heard of using JBW
    Looks good.

Thanks.

It's not bearing any thrust of recoil, so the epoxy I used didn't matter so much. I'll use it to bed the scope base rail too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Don't get it wet- - - -JBW has been known to rust. I use Brownell's AcraGlas gel mixed with their "Steel-Bed" powder- - - -it's stainless.
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Smear some a that wax on the JBW before final assembly. Be good ta go.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't get it wet- - - -JBW has been known to rust. I use Brownell's AcraGlas gel mixed with their "Steel-Bed" powder- - - -it's stainless.
    Jerry
    early wrote: »
    Smear some a that wax on the JBW before final assembly. Be good ta go.

Thanks for the heads up Teach.

Early I'll either take that advice (easiest, so probably will) or I will seal it with some other compound.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    For all intents and purpose...that is a Win 70 right? Your box should be 3.1"?
    For all intents and purpose...that is a Win 70 right? Your box should be 3.1"?

Essentially.