Home Main Category General Firearms

stuck round

9mmlargo9mmlargo New MemberPosts: 5 New Member
My Rock River LAR8 has a stuck unfired 308 shell chambered. Pulling the charging handle is no help, it is really stuck. What is the safest way to remove the round?

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Pull back on the charge handle and at the same time thump the stock on a hard wooden surface it usually don't take much of a thump to get it out.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Pull back on the charge handle and at the same time thump the stock on a hard wooden surface it usually don't take much of a thump to get it out.

What he said and if its still really stuck squirt a little hoppes #9 down the barrel, let it sit for a while and then try the stock bump thing again.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    :agree: If it has a extendable stock, make sure it's fully collapsed before to attempt a "mortar clearing"... and don't get any body parts over the muzzle....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Take it to a gunsmith, you will not get charged much if anything, and it is the safest method of dealing with such a problem esp when you do not know how.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Take it to a gunsmith, you will not get charged much if anything, and it is the safest method of dealing with such a problem esp when you do not know how.

This procedure is in the owners manual. I have done this maybe 6 times and never had any issues...
    Or one could run around town with a loaded rifle
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member

Really?
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    You can also chill the case. In the shop I use liquid nitrogen on the case. Works great in all the stuck ammo guns. Normally just falls out

Wart remover freeze kits from the pharmacy should work too.

That bump method is good too....I have only heard one bad story about it....
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I would take down the upper from the lower if it is stubborn and use a brass rod / cleaning rod and tap it out gently. If it won't clear that way you have a bigger issue.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I would take down the upper from the lower if it is stubborn and use a brass rod / cleaning rod and tap it out gently. If it won't clear that way you have a bigger issue.

D

Beating on a live round, no thanks.
    One could always read the manual and do what it recommends.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Is the extractor still engaged, or does the bolt cycle and the round is stuck in the chamber? If the extractor is hanging in there, do the floor bump thing and it will probably come out. Stuck with the extractor disengaged, you won't have much choice but to try to bump it out with a cleaning rod after pouring some lube down the muzzle.
    Jerry

And be driving around with a loaded gun...which is illegal most everywhere... Using this method to clear a jam on an AR is an immediate action step that should be known (or learned) by anyone that owns an AR...
    9mmlargo wrote: »
    My Rock River LAR8 has a stuck unfired 308 shell chambered. Pulling the charging handle is no help, it is really stuck. What is the safest way to remove the round?

I'm guessing that the extractor is engaged.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    I've had good luck using a rubber stopper or cork, it should fit snug not tight, I fill the bbl. about 1/3 full of #9 let it sit 1/2 hour push the cork as far in as it will go with a hardwood dowel and smack it with a hammer, the hydraulic pressure usually knocks it out on the first smack.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • HastaHasta Member Posts: 56 Member
    Really?
    It may depend where you live. Some places may charage while other places would do it for free.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    It is not a matter of cost. It is whether you want your mother to wipe your nose, or do it yourself.
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    Any gun that comes in my shop for work that has live ammo in it gets one heck of a charge.

Wether left in my mistake. Stuck. Or whatever.

It's all fun and games till something stupid happens in the shop.

Years ago. Before my time. A smith near me had someone bring a shotgun in and dropped, bumped, or whatever and it killed the smith.
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    And be driving around with a loaded gun...which is illegal most everywhere... Using this method to clear a jam on an AR is an immediate action step that should be known (or learned) by anyone that owns an AR...

Glad I don't live anywhere. Driving with a loaded gun illegal?!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    Hoggin wrote: »
    Any gun that comes in my shop for work that has live ammo in it gets one heck of a charge.
    $85 MINIMUM at my 'smith! Yep, he has it posted.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    JKP wrote: »
    Glad I don't live anywhere. Driving with a loaded gun illegal?!

Specifically, driving around with a loaded rifle in a vehicle is verboten in many locations, while having a legal loaded CCW is okey-dokey...Doesn't make sense to me either...Hell, I didn't write the laws
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    :agree: If it has a extendable stock, make sure it's fully collapsed before to attempt a "mortar clearing"... and don't get any body parts over the muzzle....

:that:......saw a vid of a guy that DIDN'T collaspe his MagPul stock. Had his hand wrapped around the lower portion of the stock and around the third smack on the ground, the pin in the stock sheared and the stock collasped on his hand........and wedged. Took him and his buddy, with some inspired cursing to get the damn thing pried apart, to get his hand out. If he'd been alone, he woulda been seriously screwed.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    9mmlargo wrote: »

Well??? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The reason I mention a gunsmith is it seems that some folks equate clearing a stuck round with defusing a live grenade, we used to clear those regularly at the range, with no problems.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Are you located where you can just fire it off or see if it will? Empty brass is easier to pull out. Have you fired the same type ammo like the stuck round before in the rifle?

Whats wrong with a wooden dowel after you take it apart and remove the lower/bolt-FP so there is no way the primer can be struck. Still keep yer face/body away from the muzzle and keep it pointed in a safe direction..
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Simple, if he could remove the bolt it wouldn't be stuck, and you can't remove the FP without removing the bolt

Bolt should come back with some encouragement and the extractor should slip over the case like in this video, I think. Still the round was stuck and took some more work to get out. I hope his isn't this bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53elhxBYVDc
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    What causes a stuck round in the AR? I've fired probably 50K rounds in various ARs and never had a stuck case.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    What causes a stuck round in the AR? I've fired probably 50K rounds in various ARs and never had a stuck case.
    Dirty/rough chambers OR crappy steel cases ammo my guess it's the later.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,136 Senior Member

:uhm:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

The gunsmith in that video was speculating military brass in a chamber not set up for it and most likely a "Bad" built crappy parts rifle/rough chamber, unmarked bbl rifle and whoever built it had the muzzle brake upside down. Or bad ammo.....................
    Our 9mmLargo needs to first get that bolt back and out before trying to drive the stuck round out from the muzzle end with a rod of some kind.

Firing pin is still in the bolt and it possibly could get enough momentum to set off the primer from trying to remove the stuck round.
    I remember our M-16 bolts should be cleaned and lubed just enough to take the assembled bolt and "Flick" with wrist action where the bolt head would extend fully from the down position.

Also, when the bolt is retracted and lock to the rear you could slap the butt-stock with your hand and they would fly forward. During safety inspections after a range the NCOIC/OIC/Satey Officer would rod every soldiers rifle before they left by having them clear their rifle, bolt locked back and then tripping the bolt with a cleaning rod down the bbl to make sure it was empty. No Brass No Ammo Drill Sgt.............kinda deal. Obviously not good for the bolt face using a steel tipped rod/jag to trip it forward.

Including yours truly.......me when I ran M-16 zero/qual ranges as an NCO and later OIC.