Home Main Category Hunting

32Spl works doe down

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,996 Senior Member
The story behind it... When I was a kid, I got to use my dads 32 Spl that he got after he came back from Korea. I was never able to get a deer in front of it. While I was in the service it was stolen. I thought it would be neat to take a deer with one. For the last couple years I passed on a few I saw. Either they were scoped, or beaten, or I just passed only to go back later and they were gone. I saw this one and it went to the counter with me. It was a slight restoration project but, what the heck.

doe20151_zpscr1oqtox.jpg

Saw nothing until this one and 3 others showed up out of the pines at about 70 yards. She was in the lead and looked larger than the next two. They started heading my way and I picked a spot between trees and waited. I was going to give them more time to close up, but they stopped at about 50 yds, she was quartering towards me and I figured it could get better, or it could get a lot worse, so the little carbine barked, she gave a little kip and took off.

The exit wound is about where the stick is pointing. The entrance is a little higher than I like, but I can live with it.
doe20152_zpsh6ny19bj.jpg

It was a double lung with pretty good damage inside. She ran no more than 50 yds probably closer to 35. About 4 strides she was wobbling and then she dropped.

doe20153_zpss2wvvzvc.jpg

After that pic, things got to bloody to be messing with the phone. After some coffee and heat, I will take the hide off and get good pics.

Stats, 1949 mod 94 32 Winchester Special, Hornady FTX 165 over 31gr IMR 4895
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Nice rifle.
    My uncle has grandad's old pre 64 32spl
    You knew it would still work
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    There ya go...Cool!
    Meat in the freezer.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    You knew it would still work
    But now it is confirmed, for science ....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    Excellent! Well done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,140 Senior Member
    Nicely done! Always fun to have a little nostalgia and a successful hunt at the same time...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    That was a job that's been needing attention for a long time. Looks like you done it right. :up:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nicely done! Always fun to have a little nostalgia and a successful hunt at the same time...

:agree:

The nostalgia value is very important. Especially when it is associated with such a great round and even greater rifle. Oh did I mention I love Win. 94s?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Can't wait for the science! I have similar to share when it's all uploaded.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    Nicely done with the open sights:applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Just to contrast the type of hunting.... The darker green is the old Christmas tree farm attempt.

stand_zpshvov0dg6.jpg

Off to move the lumber and tools from the Garage sheet rocking project to make way to hang her over the drain. Its Happy Puppy time!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Very cool.

My dad's first deer was taken with a 32 Special. It was a Winchester Model 94. This happened in the late 50s, so it was obviously a pre-64 model. The rifle belonged to my dad's cousin, who eventually gave the rifle away. I have no idea who has it now.

The deer was a small, central Texas whitetail doe, not much larger than a German Shepard. I remember seeing the deer and several others like it in the bed of a pickup. I was 7 or 8 at the time, and very disappointed that I didn't get to go with him. My dad said the gun kicked like a mule.

Your story brings back some good memories.

Thanks.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Excellent work. I have a rifle not terribly different from yours that came into my possession with a similar story. My rifle is still waiting for a deer to stand still.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,436 Senior Member
    Thank you, Thank you Thank you. Great story and congrats on your hunt. This has made my day and changed my plans for my hunt this evening. My pops Win .32 Spl was built between 1943 and 47 where Win stopped recording serial number. I always loved this rifle. After pops stopped hunting around 1988 he put his two guns (Win 32 Sp and AYA double barrel 12Ga) up in the attic where they sat for over 20 years. Pops lived 6 blocks from the ocean and a few months before he passed he sent them to me. Both were rusted shut inside and out and I thought were beyond repair. I had them totally restored to like new which I posted pics of a few years back. Tonight, I'm taking the old 32 win out for a hunt. I normally have does that come in and that's a fine place to start! If I take one I'll start a new thread as to not take away from yours.

Again, thank you!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member
    Should have kept up on the Christmas trees. Could have honed up on your Ninjin' skills....................
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I think I might wear shin guards. Just......in ......case.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I think I might wear shin guards. Just......in ......case.

Who will carry your ladder?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,514 Senior Member
    I got brass, bullets, and dies! Just waiting for the right Marlin 1893 or Savage 99.
    The trees are Norway Spruce, about 40 or so years old, packed so close together in rows that the biggest is 10" in diameter with most being 6". Great place for deer to hide, other than that, useless.

Anyway,
    FTX all the way. If you are trying to get a couple extra yards out of the carbine, dont worry about the terminal performance, its in there. I am pushing 2100fps or something thereabout. I never cronographed it because the listed FPS is like 2030 at the low to less than 2200 at the high. I picked a middle load and launched some that hit pretty much where I was pointing it, and called it good. Recoil isnt bad and it holds 3ish at 127yds. Its a open sight carbine so I am fine with that.

All the way through took both lungs and gelled them pretty well this was the path so you can see it went through a lot of deer.

path1_zpsqu0lu7wg.jpg

This pic is the entry with the shoulder still attached. You can see the hole, but not nearly as well as after I took the shoulder off. The camera battery decided to be to weak to retain that one, but it left me think it did. Under the meat, the hole was a good 1.25-1.5" took a rib square and made that part disappear.
    entry_zpsgp1ffsiq.jpg

I did get a pic of the exit. It made the big entrance, did a bunch of damage, and then took out another rib on the way out.

exit_zpskqu6jupd.jpg
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Nice, a32spl is a good deer gun within 100 yds.
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Thank you, Thank you Thank you. Great story and congrats on your hunt. This has made my day and changed my plans for my hunt this evening. My pops Win .32 Spl was built between 1943 and 47 where Win stopped recording serial number. I always loved this rifle. After pops stopped hunting around 1988 he put his two guns (Win 32 Sp and AYA double barrel 12Ga) up in the attic where they sat for over 20 years. Pops lived 6 blocks from the ocean and a few months before he passed he sent them to me. Both were rusted shut inside and out and I thought were beyond repair. I had them totally restored to like new which I posted pics of a few years back. Tonight, I'm taking the old 32 win out for a hunt. I normally have does that come in and that's a fine place to start! If I take one I'll start a new thread as to not take away from yours.

Again, thank you!
    Cool. Get the old girl out there, its what it was made for.
    You will probably get funny looks since it isnt a magnum with a 2K scope, but that is part of the fun.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Congrats on the deer, your story got me thinking. I have my Dad's Winchester 94 in .32 special. My dad never took a deer with it, although my brother used it once on a forky Whitetail. I'll have to dig it out of the safe, clean it a bit. I'll try to take an Antelope a Deer and maybe try it on Elk next year. It should be fun. I have a few boxes of Hornady Leverevolution flex-tip ammo for it.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,436 Senior Member
    Cool. Get the old girl out there, its what it was made for.
    You will probably get funny looks since it isnt a magnum with a 2K scope, but that is part of the fun.

No luck this evening, had eight does come in at dark. I had set myself a 50 yard limit as it's been way too long since I've practiced with open sights. I'll be back at it next weekend. I'm now on a quest!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I'm now on a quest!

creatmon_zpslqnx7uyi.jpg
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    Very Kool
    Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    Your story parallels mine, in 1950 I bought my first CF rifle, an older Win M-94 in 32 Win.spc. killed my first deer with it that year, it to was stolen in 57.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Very cool.

My dad's first deer was taken with a 32 Special. It was a Winchester Model 94. My dad said the gun kicked like a mule.

My first hi-powered rifle was the same thing, a pre-64 Mod 94 in .32 Spl. One of my dads friends had the same rifle chambered in .30-30. I have no idea why, but that .32 would slap the wet snot out of you while the .30-30 was comfortable to shoot. Makes no sense.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    You fellas are going Old School - sure it brought back some great memories...congrats :beer:
    Old school? I hunt with a flintlock, for me this is like a Romulan Disruptor.

Got my 6mm Lee Navy dies in, wait till next year. 30-40, 6mm LN, or 222????????????..........
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great work putting the old gun to good use and making a great shot. I suspect that after this week, PA will be running out of does. :jester:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.