Home Main Category Hunting

Shoot or Not

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 11,856 Senior Member
After dinner last night we had cheesecake and coffee with friends.
My buddy was telling me about the large buck his brother shot this year.
Seems as dark turned to dawn he watched the deer bed down not 50 yards from his stand.
At legal light he shot the deer in its bed. He went on to say he thought it was wrong to shoot a bedding deer.
What do you guys think? I did not want to argue so just gave a uh huh and moved on to a subject where the girls didn't frown at us.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,791 Senior Member
    I don't have a problem with that. People shot mountain goats and sheep while bedded down all the time.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,575 Senior Member
    Fire away!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,686 Senior Member
    Stand, lay, sit, run, does not matter, they will all roll over and play dead if I can get a shot off.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    Very interesting topic. 35 years or so I had the exact same thing happen. The buck bedded down right in front of me around 75 yards. I actually waited for him to get up to take him which took 90 minutes or so. Screwy thing was everyone kept asking me why I didn't shoot him when he was bedded down. I don't think my internal thoughts process even considered it. For me I just naturally waited for him to stand. It was like the time I went spring turkey hunting and found myself right next to the roost tree when the sun came up with a big gobbler in it gobbling his head off. I waited for him to glide down to start calling. He never looked back at me and kept right on going! However the thought to raise my gun and shoot him off the roost never entered to the equation. Deep in the recesses of my brain I knew what my pop would have done to me if I did shoot him off the roost. For me there's no right or wrong answer on this one.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I don't understand the thought process of people who think that shooting bedded deer is unethical. The deer is just as oblivious to what hit it then as it is standing there feeding. I hear this silliness a lot from Western hunters who think that shooting bedded mulies is somehow "wrong." That said, I've never shot a bedded deer, but wouldn't bat an eye at doing so if the opportunity for a deer I wanted to shoot was otherwise there. It's one thing if having him bedded negates a clean shot. It's a whole other unnecessary commotion to fret shooting him laying there, "well...because."
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,856 Senior Member
    Seems like I am not the only one that sees no issue with shooting a bedded deer.

But in my opinion, if you think its ok, go for it, if not don't. Not something to argue about.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Never done it but meat in the freezer is meat. Also I have little room to talk, I take deer in my pasture that basically live on the far side from the barn. They sometimes graze with the broodmares, occasionally come up for leftovers from the girls and foals and drink from the pond. While they are not domesticated, they are not that shy of people either. Some might say I am not sporting doing so but it helps keep the population in check and I do cull does 99% of the time for meat.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    If I want pure sport, I'll squirrel hunt with a .22 or wing shoot edible birds. A deer is 75-80 lbs. of freezer meat, so I'll figure that the skill involved was in choosing the right spot to sit. I would take the shot as soon as I could determine a proper aiming point, and that it was a mature deer.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I took a bedded deer from about 200 yards one morning. I watched it for at least 30 minutes waiting for it to stand up so I could get a better shot, and finally decided to take a head shot from a very secure rest on the 2nd. floor window sill of an abandoned tenant house I used as a hide. The deer made at least 3 complete backflips with the top of its head and virtually all its brain gone.

what I had thought to be a doe was actually a button buck, since the plumbing on the other end was wrong!
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,769 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Very interesting topic. 35 years or so I had the exact same thing happen. The buck bedded down right in front of me around 75 yards. I actually waited for him to get up to take him which took 90 minutes or so. Screwy thing was everyone kept asking me why I didn't shoot him when he was bedded down. I don't think my internal thoughts process even considered it. For me I just naturally waited for him to stand. It was like the time I went spring turkey hunting and found myself right next to the roost tree when the sun came up with a big gobbler in it gobbling his head off. I waited for him to glide down to start calling. He never looked back at me and kept right on going! However the thought to raise my gun and shoot him off the roost never entered to the equation. Deep in the recesses of my brain I knew what my pop would have done to me if I did shoot him off the roost. For me there's no right or wrong answer on this one.

OK, lets put this in perspective...depending on where you live...shooting a turkey off a roost can be illegal... on the other hand, the only similar law I've seen regarding deer is you can't shoot them while they're swimming. No issue at all with shooting a bedded deer...I might have a twinge of guilt shooting one in the act of procreation...and would probably let him finish at least...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,299 Senior Member
    Now I never said it was unethical, I also said I don't think there's any right or wrong answer. I only offered my experience on the subject and how I handled the situation. As for shooting one in the process of loving his lady doe, knowing me I'd wait for him to finish! To each there own, in the end they end up in the freezer either way!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The reason tags are issued is so hunters can keep the population from becoming too large for their habbitat.
    with no audience to aprove or condem each of us decided what's right or wrong according to or own concience, hopefully within the designated rules.
    Its a very successful system.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    As for shooting one in the process of loving his lady doe, knowing me I'd wait for him to finish! To each there own, in the end they end up in the freezer either way!

It's a perfect situation for filling two tags at once...just sayin...
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I have killed them standing, bedding, walking, running and in mid-air........I don't understand the reasoning that they shouldn't be shot while bedding.....that way they go all peaceful like :jester:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,051 Senior Member
    BANG!
    Now the work begins and good eating afterwards:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I have killed them standing, bedding, walking, running and in mid-air........I don't understand the reasoning that they shouldn't be shot while bedding.....that way they go all peaceful like :jester:
    :agree:

As long as he is legal, take them anyway you can.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 700 Senior Member
    As long as you have an ethical shot take it bedded or not.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,652 Senior Member
    I've shot a bedded doe, to remove her "stupid" gene from the gene pool. I was just checking to see if the deer were using a field, stopped my truck 50 yards away, slammed the door on it, just slapped the bolt release on my Grendel upper and let the bolt slam home. Walked 25 yards and cleared a "corner" and there she was, laying in the edge of the field looking at me. Threw the rifle up, aimed for her neck, BOOM, she falls over. walk back to my truck, drive to her. call the wife and tell her I'm done hunting for the day and go home.

She was a STUPID doe and she didn't get the chance to pass her "stupid" gene along (unless she had previously???)

As long as it's a deer I can legally kill and have a shot I am confident with, I don't care if it's standing, laying, or sitting on a limb singing like a birdie
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Seems like I am not the only one that sees no issue with shooting a bedded deer.

But in my opinion, if you think its ok, go for it, if not don't. Not something to argue about.

Spotlighting them in there bed? No way. that's unethical but broad daylite? Pull the damn Trigger!!!

I did pass on a deer that was bedded on a hill across a little vally from my 25 foot tall tower stand, but that's because he was about 400 yards away and I wasn't sure I could pull off a clean shot. Had nothing to do with him being bedded. Thinking back I know I could have nailed that deer and wish I would have taken him. He was big.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,575 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,686 Senior Member
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If he's got a good rack, wait. Crappy rack? Needs to be stopped before he passes it on.

In this case, I would probably shoot the doe before the act is completed...just because that's the kind of rotten bastard I am...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,051 Senior Member
    It was the presence of the one behind me:jester:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    You're kind of wiggly:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Wait! We still discussing this? SHOOT THE DAMN DEER ALREADY!!! He's totally legal and it's meat in the Freezer!!! What's Not to love?

:roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.