Home Main Category Hunting

What's on your bucket list?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
At one time, I thought I needed to take a big bull elk and a big mule deer every year. A lot of years have gone by since then, and I finally got a big bull. Since then, though, I have lost all desire to take another one. They're way too much work to get out, and the one I killed was tough as a boot. So, now I'll be happy to shoot a fat, young cow and enjoy the meat. Even if I never take another elk I'll be a happy camper.

I've taken a good enough pronghorn. I scored it at approximately 77 inches, and I have the opportunity to admire it every day I'm home. Taking it was very memorable, and also very fulfilling. My wife really doesn't care for antelope meat, and I really don't care to take another good buck, so I'm now content to help friends take one. I have no desire to take another myself.

For me, this leaves deer. I still want to take a good mule deer buck and a good whitetail buck. I've taken a few mule deer that are ok, but I'd like one in the 160-170 inch class or better. That's probably a pipe dream, as big mule deer bucks are increasingly harder to find, and often require an expensive, guided hunt. I don't want one badly enough to pay someone in the neighborhood of $8k, even if I could afford it.

The other animal on my list is a good whitetail buck. It's been years since I even killed a whitetail, and never taken a really big one. I'd like one in the 140-150 or better range, but again that's not likely.

Anyway, that's my bucket list. I know a number of folks on this forum don't care about so-called trophy animals, but I'd like to fill out my list with the two I mentioned above.

If you have a bucket list regarding game trophies you would like to take, please share.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I want to get a big honkin freezer cow elk within sight of my truck.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,686 Senior Member
    ANY elk at this time, big bull would be bonus, antelope, mule deer, , moose, tom turkey and bear are still on the list.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,575 Senior Member
    Dream:
    Alaska Yukon Moose / Mountain Caribou

I don't see it ever happening, though. I can't justify the cost.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    Already dealing with a bum knee, I discovered that I now have a problem with my left foot and spent the past few days in serious pain (lots of iPad) while waiting for the meds to kick in.

Bucket List:
    1) Lose 40 lbs
    2) get a deer in 2016 - don't care for trophies. I do want to have venison in the freezer. Get my first turkey.
    3) get in shape for a Moose hunt in Maine. Goal - 2020.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Right Early, and preferably uphill from the truck with snow on the ground and a friend to gut it! That's my dream too!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,376 Senior Member
    Last elk I killed before leaving Colorado was just that. Parked the truck, started up hill for what would have been a couple mile walk, got about 3-4 hundred yards up and "pop" cow down. Easiest drag I've ever experienced!
    Sako
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Last elk I killed before leaving Colorado was just that. Parked the truck, started up hill for what would have been a couple mile walk, got about 3-4 hundred yards up and "pop" cow down. Easiest drag I've ever experienced!
    Sako

Had a shot at a bull like that once and missed. One a the few times I had a tag for a bull. Had buck fever like Barney Fiefe seein a ghost.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,767 Senior Member
    I would like to put a cow elk in the freezer and would like to hunt pronghorn before I can't...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    Just to be able to get out and hunt before old age catches up to me :rotflmao:

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,999 Senior Member
    Ducks in Stuttgart

A nice bull elk....preferably in black hills

Hogs in Texas

Cape Buffalo with my boys

Ruffed grouse in the north woods

Coyote calling in western South Dakota.....and shooting!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,650 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ....and would like to hunt pronghorn before I can't...
    Not interested in the elk, but that's my hunting bucket list. I want to kill and antegoat, preferably with my XP-100.

That's about it. MAYBE a trip to Argentina to shoot dove, but if I had to choose between those two, an antelope with the XP wins hand down.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I've been lucky enough to drive a pickup right up to two raghorn bull elk and load them without dragging the animals at all. Both occurred in the same meadow in western Colorado, but a year apart. The first was my dad's one and only elk, and the second was one that another hunter and I teamed up on. He gut shot it, and I dropped it. As soon as the bull was down, he got to it and pumped three rounds into its rib cage, which made it his. Even though he took the elk, I still claim it as a kill for me.

I've also spent most of a day twice getting elk out, so I figure it has all evened out.
    Jerry

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Actually, I'd love to fly the F-104 one more time. It would require at least two or three months advanced notice. I'm a little big around the middle to fit the seat
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    At one time, I thought I needed to take a big bull elk and a big mule deer every year. A lot of years have gone by since then, and I finally got a big bull. Since then, though, I have lost all desire to take another one. They're way too much work to get out, and the one I killed was tough as a boot. So, now I'll be happy to shoot a fat, young cow and enjoy the meat. Even if I never take another elk I'll be a happy camper.

I've taken a good enough pronghorn. I scored it at approximately 77 inches, and I have the opportunity to admire it every day I'm home. Taking it was very memorable, and also very fulfilling. My wife really doesn't care for antelope meat, and I really don't care to take another good buck, so I'm now content to help friends take one. I have no desire to take another myself.

For me, this leaves deer. I still want to take a good mule deer buck and a good whitetail buck. I've taken a few mule deer that are ok, but I'd like one in the 160-170 inch class or better. That's probably a pipe dream, as big mule deer bucks are increasingly harder to find, and often require an expensive, guided hunt. I don't want one badly enough to pay someone in the neighborhood of $8k, even if I could afford it.

The other animal on my list is a good whitetail buck. It's been years since I even killed a whitetail, and never taken a really big one. I'd like one in the 140-150 or better range, but again that's not likely.

Anyway, that's my bucket list. I know a number of folks on this forum don't care about so-called trophy animals, but I'd like to fill out my list with the two I mentioned above.

If you have a bucket list regarding game trophies you would like to take, please share.

Nice Whitetail Buck should do it. I'd love to kill an eastern count 12 point about 20 inches wide. I thought this was the year for that, but none have shown up at the party yet.

Edited to Add: Opps! I forgot, Antelope. I want one bull antelope. Doesn't have to be a trophy's trophy, just one of decent size. OH yea Moose and elk would be nice too, and while you're at it throw in a nice caribou. But realistically those are wishful thinking. The big deer and Antelope are for sure doable.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    Moose-- I could care less about a bull. A cow would be awesome! Doesn't have to be a special area. I would be happy as heck going to Ontario just north of me. That and speed goat.

I did bear and went with my brother for his Michigan elk (which is close enough to getting my own). So I got those two covered.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Moose-- I could care less about a bull. A cow would be awesome! Doesn't have to be a special area. I would be happy as heck going to Ontario just north of me. That and speed goat.

I did bear and went with my brother for his Michigan elk (which is close enough to getting my own). So I got those two covered.

Jerm, a friend of mine killed a cow moose a few years ago, and gave us some of the meat. It was undoubtedly the best meat I've ever eaten. I'd take it over the best beef available any day of the week.
    Jerry

snake284 wrote: »
    Edited to Add: Opps! I forgot, Antelope. I want one bull antelope.

Uh, Snake, I don't think there's any such thing as a BULL antelope. All the ones I've seen are either bucks or does. :roll:
    Jerry

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Had a shot at a bull like that once and missed. One a the few times I had a tag for a bull. Had buck fever like Barney Fiefe seein a ghost.

Almost pains me to read this, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Been there-done this with big deer. I hate that feeling that I knew I didn't have those cross hairs on em when it went boom.......:roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,239 Senior Member
    My current residence barely has wall height for a shoulder WT mount and will not accommodate a bull Elk, but a cow in the freezer is always a thought.

1) Coues Deer.

For some reason this sub species has always held a fascination for me.
    Next best would be a Carmen Mountain whitetail. Another sub species found in the Trans-Pecos region of Texas.
    Preferably in Texas, but investigating AZ. and would consider Mexico.

2) Aoudad sheep.

Texas offeres some public hunts for these imports of course the application success is quite low.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Uh, Snake, I don't think there's any such thing as a BULL antelope. All the ones I've seen are either bucks or does. :roll:

I did see a hermaphrodite Elk in Jackson Hole several years ago. Today they probably named it Caitlin
    41magnut wrote: »
    Next best would be a Carmen Mountain whitetail. Another sub species found in the Trans-Pecos region of Texas.
    Preferably in Texas, but investigating AZ. and would consider Mexico.

My dad took what I believe to be a Carmen Mountain Whitetail in the early 70s. We were hunting in Pinto Canyon, which is west of the highway between Marfa and Presidio. It's rugged country, and holds both whitetail and mule deer. It was an 8 point, and appeared to be old as its face was white and it had a big belly. See below for a picture of the antlers. As I recall, it wasn't very big, but a beautiful little deer.

DSC01410_zps529aaa88.jpg
    Jerry

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,239 Senior Member
    My dad took what I believe to be a Carmen Mountain Whitetail in the early 70s. We were hunting in Pinto Canyon, which is west of the highway between Marfa and Presidio. It's rugged country, and holds both whitetail and mule deer. It was an 8 point, and appeared to be old as its face was white and it had a big belly. See below for a picture of the antlers. As I recall, it wasn't very big, but a beautiful little deer.

DSC01410_zps529aaa88.jpg
    Yes sir, that certainly looks like the examples I have seen. And a fine example indeed.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member

Right there with you, Jerry.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,925 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Right there with you, Jerry.

Keep building up those points dude. Only thing you gotta pay me is beer, food and help getting mine out too ;)

Jerry, how many points do you have on deer?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,925 Senior Member
    Every big game animal in Colorado. Odds of that are REAL slim though.

Outside of here I guess woods or barren ground caribou. Coues deer would be really cool, too.

Also, just hunting in another country for something exotic. Hopefully this new job puts me in a place to do that before too long.

Not bucket list but stuff I'd really like to do soon, bison and hogs. Actually looking for a good place to do a group hog hunt in the next few months with my old gander mountain buddies.
    Keep building up those points dude. Only thing you gotta pay me is beer, food and help getting mine out too ;)

I have zero points on deer, elk and antelope. I didn't apply last year, and used all of them the year before. Guess I'll have to start over.
    Jerry

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member

Making steady progress: 3 deer, 2 elk, and 3 antegoat points for Colorado
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I would like a nice Axis buck and a nice Black buck to hang on the wall with the rest of the whitetail and Sika mounts.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    A big bull Elk has been on my bucket list since I was about 15 years old, many years have passed and it is still at the top. I would also like to shoot a big Mule Deer Buck, which is pretty attainable in KS if I ever get the opportunity.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Desert Bighorn Sheep, but it's a once in a lifetime hunt so the chances of me getting drawn are slim indeed.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs