Home Main Category Hunting

Sometimes I can't fix my own stupid!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,433 Senior Member
Made it out to the ranch on Sunday evening just as the ice pellets were starting to fall. Woke up to 3" of ice pellets and temps at 25 degrees. Rolled back over and slept in. That afternoon I was in the barn getting stuff ready for the evening hunt. Sitting on my work bench was my white Bluetooth speaker I use for playing music. That's when the light bulb went off. With all the white outside I decided I'd do a little coyote hunting. On my smart phone I down loaded a bunch of predator calls and I figured I could Bluetooth to my unit and broadcast the sounds. I did a quick check and it worked perfectly.

When I got to my stand I set the white speaker out about 20' away with and old stuff wabbit next to it. About 45 min before dark I heard a bunch of coyotes calling a few hundred yards away. I gave a couple of squealing wabbit calls and they went silent. A few minutes later I gave another set of calls and about 200 yards out on my neighbors place I saw two coyotes heading my way. Now this is the part where I can't fix my stupid. They had closed to within 100 yards but still needed another 25 yards or so to cross the fence. I had my crosshairs at the place in the fence I thought they would cross. Just then my wife called to see what I was doing. Her wonderful ring tone rang out on the Bluetooth speaker nice and loud for every critter in Young county to hear. I'm not sure who was more startled me or or the coyotes! Needless to say I packed in for the night and headed home shaking my head and then laughing at myself!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,552 Senior Member
    That's funny right there.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Yes dear :jester:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That's funny right there.

:that:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Doh! Do Not Disturb mode is your friend!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    That cracks me up!!!!

A few years ago I downloaded a 'duck' ringtone onto my mobile..............while duckhunting in the boat my hunting buddy and I were sitting quietly between flights and conversing softly when I received a text...........my phone was in a waterproof cover, wrapped in a spare shirt at the bottom of my pack behind me. My buddy cocked his head to one side, then told me to start calling as he could hear birds coming. ( I knew it was my phone) ..........so I started calling and at the same time started to retrieve my phone. As I unearthed the phone the ringtone got louder and I continued to call. My buddy was getting all excited and whispering that the birds were getting closer, and kept telling me to stop screwing around with my pack, so I kept timing my calls in the gaps between the ringtones. I kept it up for about 5 minutes by muffling the phone, calling, then uncovering the phone a bit more etc etc........when my mate was at a fever pitch I pulled out the mobile and said 'SHOOT...............................

His look of disgust and disappointment soon turned to smiles and laughter and we both cracked up......................just in time to watch 5 mallards scream in over the mangroves from behind us, flare over the decoys about 25yds away and then depart for greener pastures as they heard the laughter..............we never even got a shot off!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • dotnetrobdotnetrob New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Great story :rotflmao:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Funny stories----both
    :hand: Do not turn on phone until you need it
    DUH
    My call is separate.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Been there done that. A nice sequence of rabbit distress calls interrupted by Metalica.

What is they came in even more fervently to Master of Puppets? That would be something...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,185 Senior Member
    Be right home honey. Make sure you hang up before ! $#%&!!? $#
    Next time Airplane mode is your friend
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Funny! The problem with Wiley Coyote isn't that his schemes were hair brained. It is that he never refined the ones that came close to working. I think your idea has merit and should be pursued to success.