Home Main Category Hunting

How Did Your Season End Up?

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
I decided to make one last go off bowhunting tonight as I still had a doe tag in my pocket, the weather was perfect and I needed some ME time. Funny thing is, I just couldn't get myself to pull back the bow tonight, I had 5 does and 3 yearlings within 20 yards tonight and just grinned and watched them mill around for about a half an hour or so, they didn't have a clue I was there. Sometimes it just good to get out and enjoy the blessings, and after this year, tonight, just topped off an incredible season.

This is the first year that my Daughter, Son and I filled ALL our buck tags in KS and MO. (I need an extension on the trophy room)

How did your season end up?

AE6D25E1-770E-4135-8F3A-9E7A302E0CF8.jpg

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    5 Hogs
    7 Deer

10 different Guns used.

Season ain't over yet.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Ill let you know Sunday!

Looks like you had a good one!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    One deer, seven coyotes so far. Hope to shoot a lot more in the next couple months.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Non-existent, except for one good dove hunt.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I got my bear! That was the big thing. Deer-- I didn't do anything that could be considered serious deer hunting at all so it would have been amazing luck if I got one of those. All forms of deer hunting officially ended yesterday afternoon. Time to start getting ready for this year's. First hunt starts in September...
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Have a month left in the season, but my fall 12/1, the resulting wound, surgery, wound-vac, upcoming surgery (skin graft) and dealing with getting the damage to the house repaired have SEVERELY hampered my ability to hunt, so the one 7 pointer is probably going to be "it" for the season :tissue:

I MIGHT try and get out with the wife in hopes of getting her one.

Don't push it, recovery is the priority now, you can always knock them out next year!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,389 Senior Member
    My dad scored 40 minutes into opening morning. As for me,

I hunted my off for 16 days

and got ed.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Got the 32 blooded, that was the main goal. It rained here the first half of flintlock, and I was working on the life stealing garage so I didnt go out. I am not going to be able to go next week and if I took one today I dont have time to process, so no FL this year.

Got my first turkey so I can now justify a smooth rifle.

Went out for pheasants, that was fun. I hit a lot. I hit air, grass and the earth, no birds.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    Son #2 got his first deer, a 6 point buck, hunted my rear off and only saw 1 doe and one fawn, bucks only in my zone, wolves swung through to help shut things down.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Bout 60 dove was it for me cause I didn't get drawn for deer this year.....did buy an otc archery tag but have been unable to make it out so far with work and putting on the new roof and all.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,140 Senior Member
    Zip....Zero....Zilch...With the move and all, it just didn't happen...nd my wife had 5 deer tags from the tribe...3 antlerless and two any deer...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    5 Hogs
    7 Deer

10 different Guns used.

Season ain't over yet.

All in Texas? All by you?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Mine ain't over yet. I have today, tomorrow, and Sunday to go in Regular rifle season, then two more weeks Muzzle Loader season.

But things aren't looking great. Can't legally shoot does on my lease since November 29th that is until next season. Dumbass rule because of some old Farmers and Ranchers that don't know crap about deer or biology. If they had their way we wouldn't get any does. I think our Doe to buck ratio is about 4:1.
    At least I see about 4 doe for every buck. And that's in the off season. No wonder we have so many **** bucks. They just keep propagating the same old **** genetics.

Anyway, I've got one scrawny Button buck and my Son In Law and grand son each killed a scrawny small doe. But it's just now getting cool enough and the moon is just getting dark. Should be good the next two days. I'm gonna give it hell. Then I'm ready for Muzzle Loading Season. As long as it stays cold, below 55, I will go into the brush and sit down close to a game trail and wait it out with my Front Stuffer. This late in the year big bucks rarely show themselves around here.

I wish they would take a break between regular season and ML season. Let the deer go back to sleep at the wheel. With the ML season tacked on to the end of regular season, the bucks will be just as weary as they are now for at least a week. Then the moon will be getting big again.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Mine went about as good as could be expected, considering I didn't hunt. Maybe next year.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Mine went about as good as could be expected, considering I didn't hunt. Maybe next year.

Like the guy that I used to jokingly as if he'd won the lottery yet. He would say "No not yet, but I just found out you gotta play it to win it."
    Bigslug wrote: »
    My dad scored 40 minutes into opening morning. As for me,

I hunted my off for 16 days

and got ed.

See there! If you'd a had a .270 you'da probably filled Two tags,

:yikes:..........:fan:.........."imoit:

:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:
    snake284 wrote: »
    All in Texas? All by you?

Yes.
    I used these for some of the deer:

"Managed Lands Deer (MLD) Permits: Permits issued to landowners with a TPWD-approved Wildlife Management Plan. MLD permits allow hunters, at the discretion of the landowner or agent, to exceed the county bag limit and (in some cases) to hunt during an extended season. All deer taken on a property for which MLD permits have been issued must be tagged with the appropriate type of MLD permit. NOTE: No license log entry or tag from a hunting license is required for deer killed under a MLD permit (see license log requirement above). For more information about Wildlife Management Plans, landowners should call TPWD at [URL="tel:(512) 389-4505"](512) 389-4505[/URL]."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,072 Senior Member
    Two bucks. One nice 8 point, then a cull buck. Like most things these days, not enough time to go out and do more good
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    From memory...........

2 yearlings
    5 adult Does
    1 Buck
    32 ducks
    2 swan
    1 Pheasant
    2 peacocks
    ...........and an assortment of pests including mice, rats, cats, possums, rabbits, magpies, minors etc taken with a variety of weapons from a 177 air rifle up to a 2005 Grand Cherokee.

Do 'Cougars' count?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    1 mulie buck, 1 antelope doe, 2 whitetail does, 3 geese, 1 squirrel and a few preserve pheasants. Trying for another whitetail doe tomorrow here in Tennesse (at Teach's) during their late antlerless gun season.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,389 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    See there! If you'd a had a .270 you'da probably filled Two tags.

I did carry a .270 for a season or two, but replaced it in the pack with a roll of toilet paper, which turns out to be lighter and actually designed for the purpose.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I did carry a .270 for a season or two, but replaced it in the pack with a roll of toilet paper, which turns out to be lighter and actually designed for the purpose.

And usefull.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    Only had the 1 bull elk tag, and filled that on the 2nd morning.

Put in for my buck tag and was really surprised I didn't draw....that unit for MZ seems to be about 50/50 odds with ZERO points, and I had 2. Oh well, that is the roll of the dice. Put in for antegoat points, and for bighorn points. I have 2 more years of putting in for points with bighorn before I'm considered in the pool.

Time to start thinking about this year! Sheep points, moose points, antegoat points (maybe) and then deciding if I want to cash in my deer points or build them up a bit more to do another timberline hunt. I can cash in on 2nd rifle in my normal area, but there are a LOT of people then, since that is an OTC elk season/unit. I could probably shoot a fine deer, but....that timberline hunt was something special. Just don't know if I want to wait 2 more years to do it. Could go to a different unit that only takes 2 points but its VERY small and rather tough to get into. Elk....no idea. Yet.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,570 Senior Member
    Same as usual, the Illinois Whitetail still eludes me. My record with elk in Colorado was not this bad!!!

Sako
  • AlaskaAlaska New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Alaska wrote: »

That'll work! Welcome to the Forum.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    Alaska wrote: »

Very cool! How bad was the load out?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Got my cow moose tag filled. Filled my antelope buck tag. Didn't get out for deer or elk, a long road trip due to death in the family cancelled my hunts for those. Last moose tag I'll live to draw, so I'm satisfied I filled that.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Filled a tag. d63d4584b7ed3aab1e8130618d483e85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Didn't fill a tag, spent quite a few evenings in the woods with my oldest daughter, total success!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY