Exec. Order details

2»

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    We need a new category of FFL, an experimenters FFL to develop new firearms for the Military and LE agencies etc.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    The last time I visited my primary health care provider, aka family doctor, I was carrying. I was wearing a vest to conceal the firearm. He asked me to remove the vest so that he could listen to my breathing from my back. When I informed him that I was armed, he said something to the effect of "No problem". He's ex-military, very conservative, apparently pro-gun and hates Obamacare. Unless absolutely required by law to do so, I can't see him sharing such information with the government.

Besides, where does patient/doctor confidentiality fit in all of this. If doctors had to report all patients who seemed mentally or emotionally unstable, I can't possibly imagine a good outcome. As said before, it has nothing to do with guns, and a lot to do with control
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    HOWEVER...have any of you noticed the change in tactics? The theme is now "Stopping Gun Violence" Brilliant! Who on earth could have a problem with stopping gun violence? ...and by default, anyone who's against this stuff is OK with gun violence...Far be it from supporting 2A Rights...you're OK with killing kids!

Exactly. And every time they start spewing their gun control crap, it's usually prefaced by "common sense." Therefore, if you're against their push for gun control, you lack common sense and you are fine with innocent people being murdered. Your argument is invalid before you even say anything.....
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    If Ryan or a real conservative had half a pair, they should have held their own press conference right after Obamas and played the game right back at him.
    I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't already been challenged in court. Surely it will be before long. Maybe someone can appeal to that Texas judge that shut down BO's amnesty order.
    Jerry

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't already been challenged in court. Surely it will be before long. Maybe someone can appeal to that Texas judge that shut down BO's amnesty order.

It really can't be challenged until someone with 'standing', i.e. someone directly and negatively affected by the Exec. Order, brings a suit to the Supreme Court. And that suit will probably have to do through District Fed. Court first.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,346 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    It really can't be challenged until someone with 'standing', i.e. someone directly and negatively affected by the Exec. Order, brings a suit to the Supreme Court. And that suit will probably have to do through District Fed. Court first.
    And by that time, Obama will be out of office.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    And by that time, Obama will be out of office.

You may be right. Unless some big organization such as the NRA can bring suit, it would almost have to be done by an individual who doesn't sell a lot of guns.
    Jerry

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,729 Senior Member
    Has anyone actually seen this thing?
    A guy was saying there are a lot of nasty things snuck in there, but I cant find where it is published.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,645 Senior Member
    A couple of days prior to 0bama's announcement there was a news report that he had tasked executive department agencies specifically DOJ/FBI/BATF to come up with ways he could legally bypass congress with gun control EOs. I fear this one is quite possibly legal as BATF already has existing criteria which identifies persons selling guns which requires an FFL and criteria which exempts them from needing an FFL. Short version: [A] person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms. A stroke of the magic pen could radically modify the exemptions and require an FFL to sell very small numbers over long periods of time. I'm afraid this EO is only a test but nothing like the old Civil Defense "Do not be alarmed this is only a test" kind.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Npr said today that Federal agencies, military, le, etc., were being mandated to study the possible implementation of so called smart guns.

:uhm: Can't be good. Talk about logistical quaigmier.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,186 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Npr said today that Federal agencies, military, le, etc., were being mandated to study the possible implementation of so called smart guns.

:uhm: Can't be good. Talk about logistical quaigmier.

Hey, they already have a 2 million dollar pilots helmet that only works for one guy...only makes sense that combat rifles should only work for the GI it was issued to....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,699 Senior Member
    A smart gun for infantry troops? I guess that is so the CIC can have a button to switch them off, in case he wants to surrender. Yeah, sign me up, so I can wonder if some bureaucrat is going to switch my rifle off in the middle of a firefight. It would be great fun for them, playing video games with live troops.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,762 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    A smart gun for infantry troops? I guess that is so the CIC can have a button to switch them off, in case he wants to surrender. Yeah, sign me up, so I can wonder if some bureaucrat is going to switch my rifle off in the middle of a firefight. It would be great fun for them, playing video games with live troops.

PC LOAD LETTER!?!? What the Does that mean?!?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    PC LOAD LETTER!?!? What the Does that mean?!?

Software is updating. Please do not shut off rifle. Rifle will automatically restart when update is complete.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    This is where EOs are published. No text on this one. It's under Obama's double secret probation...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/executive-orders
    I think I know why you can't find the EOs. He is using Executive Actions which apparently are not published for record. I just get more and more confused which is no doubt his plan. Maybe if I were a prestigious "Constitutional Scholar" as he claims to be I would have a better understanding. Actually I suspect I have at least read 100 times more of the U.S. Constitution than he has or ever will.
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    A couple of days prior to 0bama's announcement there was a news report that he had tasked executive department agencies specifically DOJ/FBI/BATF to come up with ways he could legally bypass congress with gun control EOs. I fear this one is quite possibly legal as BATF already has existing criteria which identifies persons selling guns which requires an FFL and criteria which exempts them from needing an FFL. Short version: [A] person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms. A stroke of the magic pen could radically modify the exemptions and require an FFL to sell very small numbers over long periods of time. I'm afraid this EO is only a test but nothing like the old Civil Defense "Do not be alarmed this is only a test" kind.
    Major correction: What I identified as BATF criteria is actually straight from GCA 1968 which I am reasonably confident is LAW. It cannot legally be changed by a stroke of the "magic pen".