Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

This is why compromise is NEVER a good idea on gun rights

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,309 Senior Member
1992-
Clinton: "Lets Ban Guns!"
McCain style RINOs and NRA: "Lets compromise and have background checks instead"

2016-
Obama at a town hall last night : "What puzzles me is that in the past, the Republicans and the NRA were for background checks in the past..."
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Compromise is never a good idea on ANY rights.

FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Republicans should counter this 'argument' by simply saying that the president should brush up on the proper way to create laws in the United States of America. Executive decree that attempts to rescind settled law, that has already been debated and voted upon, is 'abuse of power,' and will be countered by Congress, as intended by the separation of powers mandates in the Constitution...regardless of the subject of the executive decree.

If Obama is so passionately in favor of creating gun law that only affects law-abiding citizens, he should take it to the public on his bully pulpit, and urge them to pressure their members of Congress to enact legislation, as Ronald Reagan often did. When he re-named Mount McKinley, that was an acceptable use of executive decree, just as it will be when the next president names it something else. But when he alters a constitutional amendment in defiance of a congressional vote, or makes a treaty without the consent of Congress, that is abuse of power.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Republicans should counter this 'argument' by simply saying that the president should brush up on the proper way to create laws in the United States of America. Executive decree that attempts to rescind settled law, that has already been debated and voted upon, is 'abuse of power,' and will be countered by Congress, as intended by the separation of powers mandates in the Constitution...regardless of the subject of the executive decree.

If Obama is so passionately in favor of creating gun law that only affects law-abiding citizens, he should take it to the public on his bully pulpit, and urge them to pressure their members of Congress to enact legislation, as Ronald Reagan often did. When he re-named Mount McKinley, that was an acceptable use of executive decree, just as it will be when the next president names it something else. But when he alters a constitutional amendment in defiance of a congressional vote, or makes a treaty without the consent of Congress, that is abuse of power.

I'm not overly concerned about what Obammy does by decree right now, because about anything he can do by executive order can be undone by the next president. My big worry is WHO that next Prez will be.

And as much as it makes my stomach turn to say this, whoever gets that Republican nomination gets ivote. I don't care if it's Donald Trump or Jeb Bush, Carly or Ben. I don't care as long as they can beat Hilary or whoever the dummycraps put in there. I would be happy if it were Ted Cruz but if it's not I"ll still vote for the Repub nominee. Anybody will be better than a Hillary or a Bernie.Commie.

I'm with you on your opinion of Bat Ears, but his time is about done. He may make some dufus booboos but unless congress can grow some cajones in a hurry, our hands are tied. I'm just praying nobody shoots him or we'll never hear the end. And we'd get some pretty bad gun control because half the country would be distraught over losing their fearless leader and about half the Repubs would be sniffling apologetically and giving in to the left to protect their worthless images. Anytime a Prez gets shot it's a big deal and all the players will play it to the hilt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    My idea of compromise. You leave me and my rights alone, and I won't turn your carcass into a poor facsimile of Swiss cheese. Works for me! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Compromising, negotiating, or otherwise interacting with a rattlesnake, a scorpion, a black widow spider, a Tasmanian Devil, or a dumbocrat is going to have the same outcome- - - - -anybody stupid enough to do so is going to get a nasty, maybe fatal bite! None of them can be trusted, ever, for any reason!
    Jerry