Finally a Buck at my Feeder

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,268 Senior Member
01050001_zpsz1hum9ew.jpg

Finally after a season of few deer and missed opportunity, I see this at the feeder in the cam. Now we're into the last week of muzzle loading season. I guess I should feel good, the moon isn't full and it's finally staying cool. So maybe this is the week. If I'm lucky maybe he's 13 inches inside the beams.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Good luck getting him. It's a great time to bag a deer if you plan on hanging it!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,225 Senior Member
    Nice - looks like a pretty decent buck. I never did understand states mandated a spread rule like that, I understand they don't want younger bucks killed, but it's not like you can run up and put a tape measure on it. Missouri has point rule, where at least one side must have 4 points - which is much easier to judge than inches.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,843 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Nice - looks like a pretty decent buck. I never did understand states mandated a spread rule like that, I understand they don't want younger bucks killed, but it's not like you can run up and put a tape measure on it. Missouri has point rule, where at least one side must have 4 points - which is much easier to judge than inches.
    FAR EASIER to judge. 1/8" of an inch too narrow and you just shot an "illegal" buck. Which would mean it wouldn't get checked in and simply cut up under the cover of darkness, or, left for the worms and such to eat.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,343 Senior Member
    From the amount of corn on the ground, I would suspect that the feeder had gone off recently. Animals get conditioned to the sound of the feeder going off and I would prefer that it happens during shooting hours. Did that one go off at 11:07pm or is the corn left over from an earlier cycle?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    FAR EASIER to judge. 1/8" of an inchThat too narrow and you just shot an "illegal" buck. Which would mean it wouldn't get checked in and simply cut up under the cover of darkness, or, left for the worms and such to eat.

Exactly. But the Libtards in control in Austin don't have to make sense. One thing, if a deer has 8 points and is still a runt or his 8 point basket rack is only 10 inches wide inside the beams, he should be removed from the gene pool. So set a rule like Missouri. Nothing under 8 points. Or, make an Either/Or law. Either 8 points minimum or 13 inches inside. That way if there's a monster 6 point you know has to be 4 years old, he's legal. But otherwise if he's less than 13" he has to be at least 7 points. The reason I say 7 is because there's a lot of bucks that were 8 pointers until they broke one off. Like my buddy. Back in high school he killed a 21 inch 9 point that would have been a 10 pointer but one was broken off probably from a fight.

I've always been for a minimum point limit for years. Like you say, it's very easy to make a mistake of even a couple of inches at something like 200 yards. And that midnight meat market business just SUCKS!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    From the amount of corn on the ground, I would suspect that the feeder had gone off recently. Animals get conditioned to the sound of the feeder going off and I would prefer that it happens during shooting hours. Did that one go off at 11:07pm or is the corn left over from an earlier cycle?
    No. I had just filled the feeder the afternoon before and poured what was left in the sack on the ground to entice hogs. So there was lots of corn on the ground. The feeder is a Moultrie Photo Cell timed feeder. They've been going off here lately around 5:45-5:50 PM and around 6:45 AM. We have four of those on our part of the lease.
    So what is the penalty for for shooting a buck that's too small?
    Zee

The game warden uses this...and not on the deer...

51hma9te27L._SX522_.jpg

Let's just say you can buy a lot of Prime Beef for what that deer will cost you if you get caught. From what the wardens I know have told me, anywhere from $500 to $2000. They do it different from what you'd expect. Rather than a real small deer costing the most, it goes by Boon and Crockett measurement. The higher the B&C Number the more expensive the deer. In other words you kill one just barely under the legal limit it will most likely cost the most.

See Six-Gun's illustration above.
    Let's just say you can buy a lot of Prime Beef for what that deer will cost you if you get caught. From what the wardens I know have told me, anywhere from $500 to $2000. They do it different from what you'd expect. Rather than a real small deer costing the most, it goes by Boon and Crockett measurement. The higher the B&C Number the more expensive the deer. In other words you kill one just barely under the legal limit it will most likely cost the most.

See Six-Gun's illustration above.
    That cements my theory that a lot of deer get left where they lay or "coolered" and not checked in.
    Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    That cements my theory that a lot of deer get left where they lay or "coolered" and not checked in.

Your comment reminds me of a 3x3 bull elk I stumbled across one year. I smelled it well before I saw it. Colorado has a 4 pt. min. on one side for a bull to be legal, or have a 5 inch brown tine. I suspect that it's led to a lot of bulls left to rot in the field.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,445 Senior Member

Texas does not do checkins. Its kind of honor system that you tag a deer and keep the tag with it till its fully processed.

If you get caught without it, they have NO sense of humor. No, "oh, forgot to tag it," or " I was about to..." the law says tag it first thing, and game wardens have the authority to go anywhere And check anything to make sure you did.. Laws of search and seizure are different for the Texas game wardens.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I'm of the same school of thought. I would love to know how many deer get measured and left where they lay, or are buried afield.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Texas does not do checkins. Its kind of honor system that you tag a deer and keep the tag with it till its fully processed.

If you get caught without it, they have NO sense of humor. No, "oh, forgot to tag it," or " I was about to..." the law says tag it first thing, and game wardens have the authority to go anywhere And check anything to make sure you did.. Laws of search and seizure are different for the Texas game wardens.
    So no nothing?
    Used to we had to have them checked in at a chick in station. Now, we can do it over the phone or Internet. Conservation department never sees the deer. Unless you get lucky then they can come to your house and request to see it.
    Zee
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I'm of the same school of thought. I would love to know how many deer get measured and left where they lay, or are buried afield.

This reminds me of the flounder law. In Texas and the other Atlantic and Gulf Coast States, Flounder are and have been gigged as long as men have roamed the shores. If they dropped the daily limit on flounder down to one, I would still probably gig my one. I love to gig flounder. But the state biologist with the TPWD decided we needed to limit the minimum length to 16 inches now. So if your standing on the bow of a boat with a gig and you see a flounder you're supposed to be able to size up its length on the spur of the moment. Then when you bring it in the boat, AFTER you gigged it and probably already
    killed it, and you measure it to make sure it's legal and it's only 15 and a half inches, what do you do?

If you have limited funds and half a brain you take that fish and fling it as far as you can away from your boat and go on like you never saw it. Because just like a deer, that little illegal flounder will cost you more than 50 pounds of prime beef. I'm talking beef that costs $15 a pound or more.

So you really can't blame somebody for throwing a perfectly good fish away. If you don't you're setting yourself up for a possible pretty good financial blow.

I would say, if you want to build numbers of deer, do away with insane rules like this and tighten up on enforcement of shooting too many deer. Tell people they can shoot 4 or 5 deer a year, but if you shoot a buck it has to have 7 or 8 or 10 points, whater they deem necessary points. Or 13 inches width inside the beams. Give us an out where we don't have to get all anal before we pull the trigger. Let us enjoy hunting again without worrying about becoming a game thief.
    So no nothing?
    Used to we had to have them checked in at a chick in station. Now, we can do it over the phone or Internet. Conservation department never sees the deer. Unless you get lucky then they can come to your house and request to see it.

Nope. Just cut off the tag from your license, write the details of where it was killed on the tag and license, cut out the date on the tag, zip tie the tag to the deer, and do whatever.

However, the law can get murky if you are taking the meat to a processor, and the hide or head to a taxidermist. The tag is supposed to stay with the animal along with proof of sex. So if you drop the antlers with a taxidermist, you are supposed to keep the Johnson with the meat as you go to the processor... But a lot of taxidermists want to have the tag with the head... And the processor usually wants to have the tag with the meat. Either of the businesses can be raided by the game wardens and lose everything for poaching if they don't have the paperwork correct.

The TX game wardens are kinda like the ATF in that they can pretty much nail anyone for some sort of paperwork error if you get found in contempt of cop
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Nope. Just cut off the tag from your license, write the details of where it was killed on the tag and license, cut out the date on the tag, zip tie the tag to the deer, and do whatever.

However, the law can get murky if you are taking the meat to a processor, and the hide or head to a taxidermist. The tag is supposed to stay with the animal along with proof of sex. So if you drop the antlers with a taxidermist, you are supposed to keep the Johnson with the meat as you go to the processor... But a lot of taxidermists want to have the tag with the head... And the processor usually wants to have the tag with the meat. Either of the businesses can be raided by the game wardens and lose everything for poaching if they don't have the paperwork correct.

The TX game wardens are kinda like the ATF in that they can pretty much nail anyone for some sort of paperwork error if you get found in contempt of cop

Yeah to all the above. In Texas, Game Wardens come like Texas Hiway Patrol or even some County Sheriff Deputies, in that some are not out to save the world and they just do their jobs. They will cut you a break if you are not an A Hole. But you can't depend on this. One out of probably every five takes their job with total seriousness and can very well be an ****.

One night Fe and I were at a local pier fishing. I was fishing for drum (Sport not eat) and throwing back 40 and 50 pounders and she was catching hell out of Sand Trout. No limit size or number on Sand Trout, and they aren't bad eating when fresh, so Fe loves to catch 50 or 100 a night when they're hitting, so she had em all around her feet and the cooler about half full when this game warden we all knew and didn't love, comes stomping out on the pier. He ask us for our license, which we had of course, and then asked to look in our cooler. Well, like I said, there's sand trout and a few whiting lying all around her so he could see what she was catching. So he opens the cooler and picks up about half the fish going through them looking for spots, thinking she was keeping under size specks. But she was clean. Then he asks her if that was the only cooler we had and she told him yes.

Finally he says take me to your car. So I went with her leaving my rod and equipment and walked back down the pier and opened the car. He goes all through the car, looking under the seats and in all compartments and no fish. This visibly pissed him off. He fully expected to find fish. But there were none. Then we go back out on the pier and he's looking around for a hidden stringer. Finally he's looking back in our cooler to see if he missed something. Nope, no fish legal, illegal or other wise.

Every other game warden in the county knew Fe and how straight she was with the law and most never even asked her for her license, much less checked her out anymore. But this jerk seemed to be on a mission.

Finally frustrated he says I got a report y'all were keeping illegal Specks. Fe immediately went into Rant mode, Hehehe! and began to give him names of all the wardens she knew and told him to call them if he didn't believe her, but she stayed within the law. Hell I've seen her throw back perfectly legal trout because she didn't have a measuring device.

So Kevin, the nice game warden, was beside himself. He says "lets go look in the car again," so we walk back. Fe didn't go and when we got to the car I told him, Kevin, I knew him through my hunter ed days, you know me, I was a hunter ed instructor for 15 years, and stay legal as possible. And if you knew who this woman was, you would be laughing at yourself right now. She throws legal fish back if she can't measure them." Anyway, this made no impression on his fat ass (Kevin weighs about 320 and 5'5).

Anyway, he told me that a guy that was fishing here earlier had called him and described my wife to him and said she was keeping short specks and she had a cooler full. I remembered him then and I remembered he had been bragging to the crowd how he loved to catch 45 inch drum and keep them and telling everybody how many he had caught and when he caught what and that he never had been caught. Then Fe walked up and she told him what she thought of his ethics in her Filipina Drawl, heheehe. Then she told him she had seen him doing all that and she told him what she thought of his keeping short fish and humiliated him a bit in front of several people. That was the guy that called Kevin.

I told Kevin then that that guy was the biggest abuser in the county. I think it sunk in on Kevin and he must have started paying attention to his habits and that guy got busted about a week later. Fe found out later that he was a blow hard from Dallas down here doing contracting for about 6 months and he had sucked up to several game wardens and thought he could do as he pleased. He under estimated just how serious Kevin took his job. Yeah Kevin can be a first class A Hole but we know he earns his pay. Fe said she heard the guy got fined over $2000 for illegal Reds. Anyway, that's a good example of, "Don't Mess With Texas!" Especially short fat Texas Game Wardens.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    I'm probably wrong about this, but lately I've been thinking that there are so many 'murky' laws in Texas, regarding guns and hunting, so as to allow more latitude in the field as to how they are enforced. A game warden has a lot of discretion, and the ones I have personally had experience with have exercised that discretion in a very sensible fashion. The same is true of State Troopers. It allows them to let well-intentioned people off easy for honest mistakes that would technically make them guilty of minor offenses. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, and it's hard to imagine that the legislature would be thoughtful enough to design the laws with that in mind. They probably just make the best compromises they can, and let the LEOs take up the slack, like they used to do everywhere in times past. I do think that it's a good thing in a lot of ways for law-abiding citizens, because it makes for a bond between LEOs and the citizens that support them, and that probably benefits both sides. Whether or not it is fair, since it depends more on the 'spirit' of the law rather than the 'letter' of the law, is debatable.

The 13" rule is a pain in the butt, especially for areas where game is scarce. But, in all honesty, it has made me a better hunter, because I study a deer very carefully before shooting it, and let it walk if I have any doubt. So far, I've judged correctly, with at least a couple of inches to spare. If I ever do screw up, I won't waste the deer. I'll either turn myself in and pay the fine, or I'll tag it and butcher it, and hope for the best. Also, the 13" rule makes it more important to study other, more subtle, identifying factors about mature deer. For example, a mature buck will be more 'level' across the back, whereas a young deer will kind of slope from the back to the front - his rear end will be higher and sometimes thinner, until he reaches full maturity. You have to look at a lot of deer, in their natural state, to learn to distinguish this, with any consistency.

In a state where it is legal to hunt over bait, I think the rule is not as ridiculous as it would be for an area that is much harder to hunt. I know from experience that if I put out a feeder, it will attract does and young bucks, and that the more mature bucks will likely be nearby in the shadows, eating acorns and leaves, while they keep track of the does. I know this is true for the early part of the season (where I live and have hunted), when the main rut occurs. By opening day, I have already captured most of the young bucks on the game camera, and I will have a good idea about all of the non-shooters before I see them from my blind. I can't say about later on in the season, when the acorns are gone, and the rut is over, because I'm always done by then, thanks to the 1 buck, 1 cull rule, with no does except Thanksgiving weekend.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I have adapted to the rule, and so far, am comfortable with it, regardless of whether or not it's a sensible rule.
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm probably wrong about this, but lately I've been thinking that there are so many 'murky' laws in Texas, regarding guns and hunting, so as to allow more latitude in the field as to how they are enforced. A game warden has a lot of discretion, and the ones I have personally had experience with have exercised that discretion in a very sensible fashion. The same is true of State Troopers. It allows them to let well-intentioned people off easy for honest mistakes that would technically make them guilty of minor offenses. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, and it's hard to imagine that the legislature would be thoughtful enough to design the laws with that in mind. They probably just make the best compromises they can, and let the LEOs take up the slack, like they used to do everywhere in times past. I do think that it's a good thing in a lot of ways for law-abiding citizens, because it makes for a bond between LEOs and the citizens that support them, and that probably benefits both sides. Whether or not it is fair, since it depends more on the 'spirit' of the law rather than the 'letter' of the law, is debatable.

The 13" rule is a pain in the butt, especially for areas where game is scarce. But, in all honesty, it has made me a better hunter, because I study a deer very carefully before shooting it, and let it walk if I have any doubt. So far, I've judged correctly, with at least a couple of inches to spare. If I ever do screw up, I won't waste the deer. I'll either turn myself in and pay the fine, or I'll tag it and butcher it, and hope for the best. Also, the 13" rule makes it more important to study other, more subtle, identifying factors about mature deer. For example, a mature buck will be more 'level' across the back, whereas a young deer will kind of slope from the back to the front - his rear end will be higher and sometimes thinner, until he reaches full maturity. You have to look at a lot of deer, in their natural state, to learn to distinguish this, with any consistency.

In a state where it is legal to hunt over bait, I think the rule is not as ridiculous as it would be for an area that is much harder to hunt. I know from experience that if I put out a feeder, it will attract does and young bucks, and that the more mature bucks will likely be nearby in the shadows, eating acorns and leaves, while they keep track of the does. I know this is true for the early part of the season (where I live and have hunted), when the main rut occurs. By opening day, I have already captured most of the young bucks on the game camera, and I will have a good idea about all of the non-shooters before I see them from my blind. I can't say about later on in the season, when the acorns are gone., and the rut is over, because I'm always done by then, thanks to the 1 buck, 1 cull rule, with no does except Thanksgiving weekend.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I have adapted to the rule, and so far, am comfortable with it, regardless of whether or not it's a sensible rule.

Well yeah, me too, as if I had a choice. With the price of the fines for forked horn deer under 13 inches I have no choice!
    Have you thought about hanging a brightly colored measuring stick under your feeder? I could see hanging an orange 13" long dowel under the feeder (or nearby) that would be a good way to gauge the width when things can get confusing while looking through a scope under magnification, and with a bit of buck fever thrown in.

I have measurements posted on the leg of my feeder just to make sure some of the newbies that hunt my feeder have reference points when looking at a deer
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Well yeah, me too, as if I had a choice. With the price of the fines for forked horn deer under 13 inches I have no choice!

Yeah, the rule does ignore the mature culls that don't have a slick horn. I reckon the 'management' folks forgot about eliminating the ones who slipped through the cracks when they were young. I rarely see any of them up here - the poachers get 'em, I reckon. It would be nice if you could get pictures of them, and get the game warden's blessing to take them out of the gene pool.

8 point or better would be the better rule, like you said. I've seen a pretty decent six point rack with a 20" spread, but it isn't common.
    Have you thought about hanging a brightly colored measuring stick under your feeder? I could see hanging an orange 13" long dowel under the feeder (or nearby) that would be a good way to gauge the width when things can get confusing while looking through a scope under magnification, and with a bit of buck fever thrown in.

I have measurements posted on the leg of my feeder just to make sure some of the newbies that hunt my feeder have reference points when looking at a deer

If I could get the damn deer to face me and say Hi before I shoot it would be nice. If his ears are in the alert position, about 45 degrees, they should be inside the beam. But they don't always do that. Like the first buck in these pics never faced the camera and I couldnt tell you if he was legal or not.
    A
    Yeah, the rule does ignore the mature culls that don't have a slick horn. I reckon the 'management' folks forgot about eliminating the ones who slipped through the cracks when they were young. I rarely see any of them up here - the poachers get 'em, I reckon. It would be nice if you could get pictures of them, and get the game warden's blessing to take them out of the gene pool.

8 point or better would be the better rule, like you said. I've seen a pretty decent six point rack with a 20" spread, but it isn't common.
    If I could get the damn deer to face me and say Hi before I shoot it would be nice. If his ears are in the alert position, about 45 degrees, they should be inside the beam. But they don't always do that. Like the first buck in these pics never faced the camera and I couldnt tell you if he was legal or not.

True. I watched a nice buck for about 20 minutes through binoculars and my scope, from an initial distance of about 80 yards, out to 175 yards, and finally let him go. He crossed an opening right beside my blind, and then crept through the shadows just inside the tree line, sticking his head out in the open occasionally to look around. I got a couple of quick face-on glances, but he looked marginal, at best. Later on, another guy shot him, and he measured 15-3/4". I had the cross-hairs on him twice, during that 20 minutes, but I had been seeing other deer, too, so I didn't risk it. It turned out for the best, though, because I got a great buck the next day that I had no doubts about.
    True. I watched a nice buck for about 20 minutes through binoculars and my scope, from an initial distance of about 80 yards, out to 175 yards, and finally let him go. He crossed an opening right beside my blind, and then crept through the shadows just inside the tree line, sticking his head out in the open occasionally to look around. I got a couple of quick face-on glances, but he looked marginal, at best. Later on, another guy shot him, and he measured 15-3/4". I had the cross-hairs on him twice, during that 20 minutes, but I had been seeing other deer, too, so I didn't risk it. It turned out for the best, though, because I got a great buck the next day that I had no doubts about.

This year I don't know what's going on. Every year I've been on this lease I've seen shooter bucks except this year. The one in the pic above is the only thing I've seen even close to a legal forked horn deer this year. I have heard shooting while I've been hunting but nobody on the lease fesses up to killing anything, but I think some are and not telling. I thought there were poachers but I'm beginning to think somebody is over hunting the area, somebody that belongs here, somebody else on the lease. Somebody with several grown kids that I've seen on the lease plus several people that are guests that don't pay, like friends of some of the other members. I'd get off but I can't find anything this cheap. It's not really cheap at right at $1000, but it's cheaper than anything else I can find around here. There are deer around but to say the least it's getting competitive here. Then again, this was a suck year with it being so unseasonably warm.
    He came back again:

01140136_zpsi2uwdhol.jpg[URL=http:

//s206.photobucket.com/user/snake284/media/01140139_zpshcwaambi.jpg.html]01140139_zpshcwaambi.jpg[/URL]

01140137_zpsw0vszkd9.jpg

01140138_zpsvlof7fjh.jpg

01140133_zpsughs2afj.jpg

I can't tell but I'm guessing this is the same buck. From these pics I'm guessing he's not a shooter buck. He's close but to me he looks about 12 inches tops.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    If he gets big enough, he can go from the buck at the feeder to buck in the freezer.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    If he gets big enough, he can go from the buck at the feeder to buck in the freezer.
    Yeah but the question then becomes, "Whose Freezer?"

Some slimeball poacher might get him firstr o, or one of the "Guests" of the other hunters.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    Doesn't look like the same buck to me. Look at the front of the right antler. The original pic seems to curve inward with a longer sweep. The end of the second buck's antler seems shorter.

The right G3 on the original pic appears longer.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Please get a level and a plumb bob before next year - those cockeyed pictures make old folks with vertigo dizzy. :jester: