A hare brained idea...............

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,570 Senior Member
.................So I photographed it.

hare_zpssoy8yuny.jpg

Don't mean to rabbit on...............

hare2_zpsevmcrq0a.jpg

Did a charter sat and caught 5 snapper up to 8lb. Decided to give them to one of the local farmers as a thank you for allowing access to his property. As I drove up his mile long winding driveway I saw about 8-10 rabbits playing just on dusk. Gave the farmer the fish ( he was very grateful) and mentioned to him what I had seen. ( Went up about a week ago with Bloodhound to spotlight the place and only managed 3 kills)

He said " Its a pity you don't have your rifle with you, you could go for a drive and deal to a few."

My reply "It just so happens I do have my suppressed .22 as I had to deal to a couple of pesky magpies at Marks place".

End result was I did a 'drive/walk through' and took out 5 rabbits and a Hare in less than 15mins. Ranges ranged from 15yds ( Hare) out to approx. 85yds. Missed one at over 120yds as I held 2" above his head and shot a hole through the tips of his ears. ( Wonder what Mrs rabbit said when he came home with 2 pierced ears?)

Don't know about you guys, but hunting little critturs with a .22 is just as thrilling as hunting bigger critturs with a centrefire.

Rifle is the Norinco JW15 ( Cheap Chinese copy of a BRNO........which, incidentally, is more accurate than Bloodhounds BRNO :roll2:) topped with a 3-9 Nikko Sterling.
Winchester 'Subs' made short work of the critturs without the need for followups.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Wow that can is slick. Didn't realize the made em so streamlined.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,970 Senior Member
    I haven't eaten rabbit in a long time. Need to remedy that.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,882 Senior Member
    Killed_the_Wabbit.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Wow that can is slick. Didn't realize the made em so streamlined.

That 'can' was made by Parker hale IIRC in the 60's. I have tried all sorts of more modern suppressors but they don't seem to match up to that one. It is threaded at both ends and can be disassembled easily for cleaning. The internals consist of washers, and springs to keep them apart. Unscrew the cap, tap the suppressor on a hard object and everything falls out. Clean and reassemble. It doesn't get better than that!
    Zee wrote: »

Yes, you do. :tooth:

I still haven't forgotten I need to bust some bunnies with the 375H&h and video the events. Will try to get that done soon.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    What's the bore of the washers compared to the bullet? Sounds like a fun project- - - - -with all the appropriate paperwork in hand, of course!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,852 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

I like them.

But I can't eat them. They make me jumpy.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    I like them.

But I can't eat them. They make me jumpy.

Burrow some sedatives.............
    orchidman wrote: »
    Burrow some sedatives.............

Which ones do you recommend? I'm all ears.
    Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,269 Senior Member
    This women likes rabbits too,

IMG_0383%20-%20Copy_zpsli0fez6j.jpg

But 'cept she cheats! She uses a shotgun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Which ones do you recommend? I'm all ears.

All these questions. Seems you don't know jack, rabbiting on about your problems.
    All these questions. Seems you don't know jack, rabbiting on about your problems.
    You just hush your cottontail pickin mouth, mister!
    Zee
    That 'can' was made by Parker hale IIRC in the 60's. I have tried all sorts of more modern suppressors but they don't seem to match up to that one. It is threaded at both ends and can be disassembled easily for cleaning. The internals consist of washers, and springs to keep them apart. Unscrew the cap, tap the suppressor on a hard object and everything falls out. Clean and reassemble. It doesn't get better than that!
    That's an odd design. Next time you clean it, I would like to see inside.
    Zee
    Thanks. :up:
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,045 Senior Member
    sufferin' succotash
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,738 Senior Member
    Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, KILL THE WABBIT!

Is hare fitting to eat? Don't have them around here. I heard you have to pressure cook them; come to think of it, it's been a long time since I ate a rabbit. Nice Chuno, by the way.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I thought it was

DUCK season ...

RABBIT season ...

DUCK season ...

RABBIT season ...

:tooth:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I thought it was

DUCK season ...

RABBIT season ...

DUCK season ...

RABBIT season ...

:tooth:

:roll2:

No season for rabbits in this neck of the woods. they are a pest.

Hare is good eats, similar to rabbit but stronger. While I didn't keep the hare, I normally gut and skin, then cut it into pieces and leave it to soak in a weak brine solution in the fridge overnight. Rinse it off the following day and make Hare casserole/stew. Cook it slow and it will just fall off the bone. I do rabbits the same way sometimes, or cut them up, roll them in flour and pan fry the young tender ones.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, KILL THE WABBIT!

Is hare fitting to eat? Don't have them around here. I heard you have to pressure cook them; come to think of it, it's been a long time since I ate a rabbit. Nice Chuno, by the way.

I ate jackrabbit once, which is actually a hare. We parboiled it, and then pan fried it dredged in flour. It was tasty, but a bit stringy.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    We have Snowshoe Rabbits (actually a hare) up here...damn good eating. The marinating process in Jugged Hare will even render an old Jack Rabbit fit to eat...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jackrabbit/Hare and Carp have similar cooking methods:

Build a campfire.

Find a piece of board.

Tack the meat onto the board and prop it up by the fire.

After an hour, peel the meat off the board. Throw it away.

Eat the board!

:jester:
    Jerry
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Jackrabbit? Just south of Bastrop TX I saw a jack that must have been over 2 1/2 feet to tip of the ears sitting up. That S0B took off and passed a 4 wheeler he was so fast ... and I am not joking. Funny thing though is he was so skinny at full extension on stride he looked like a flying stick. He looked a might lean and tough!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    On the way back from the firing range at Lackland AFB, we jumped a jackrabbit. The drill instructor yelled "catch him!" and the chase was on! That 30-minute chase involved 36 basic trainees and one jackrabbit- - - -guess who won? We didn't have to do our regular 2-mile run that day!
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Beleive it or not, they were so pestilent way back when folks would have an orginized drive, herd am into a fence trap and club em to death by the hundreds. Unsavory business to say the least.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Down here we have Swamp Rabbeit, Jack Rabbit (Both are Hares) and Cotton Tails. I ate Jack Rabbit exactly once. It was like eatin a guitar string, tough and stringy. I guess if you got some real young one's they might be ok. They didn't taste bad, just that you need a couple of chain saws for teeth. However, young Swamp rabbit isn't bad at all. But Cotton Tail Rabbit is best of all, in my opinion Young cotton tail breaded and fried is some of the best wild meat there is. With any of them that are older, a pressure cooker is your friend.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    early wrote: »
    Beleive it or not, they were so pestilent way back when folks would have an orginized drive, herd am into a fence trap and club em to death by the hundreds. Unsavory business to say the least.

I've heard of that. Not my cup of tee, but I'm no bunny hugger either.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Alec -

I meant to mention that your thread got me looking seriously at a Ruger Charger with a threaded barrel and a .22LR suppressor. This looks like too much fun.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Alec -

I meant to mention that your thread got me looking seriously at a Ruger Charger with a threaded barrel and a .22LR suppressor. This looks like too much fun.

Do it! Its as good as sex, but you can dress according to the weather.

Seriously, there is something very satisfying about squeezing the trigger on a critter/target and hearing a very muted 'thud' from the business end of the firearm. If you miss a critter, most times they just sit up with a ' what the ....' look on their face.............
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    When I was a starving bachelor of 19, I practically lived on cottontails and fried eggs, which I could get for free. I could get cottontails without ever getting off the gravel section line roads that criss-cross the Texas panhandle. I knew nothing about cooking, except frying and grilling. Fried cottontail is very good. I never got hungry enough to eat a jack rabbit.