snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,268 Senior Member
I went out yesterday to try one more time to nail me a nice buck (Actually any buck) to finish out the 2015-2016 Muzzle Loading Season. I got to my blind a little late at 4:45 PM and settled in. About 6 I almost packed it in. But thought, why, it's the last day until next November, might as well play it out. At 6:10 PM, about 10 minutes before the end of legal shooting time, out comes a big buck about 130 yards down the Sendero. I didn't have much time because he was moving so just as he turned up (AWAY FROM ME) the sendero I got on him with my Muzzle Loader. I put the front blade sight right at the base of the neck and squeezed it off. It fired without a hitch with the new No. 11 Magnum caps. Even shooting the 3" to 5" Pie plate groups I feel I hit him. But as Muzzle Loading Black Powder guns go, I had to wait about 15 seconds for the smoke to clear before I could see anything and it was getting dark fast. I called my son in law and my ex to help me look for it. My son in law and my daughter showed up about 7 and my Ex and her Boy Friend were already inside the gate when my son in law pulled up. My ex and her boyfriend live only 2 miles from the lease gate. We went to the scene of the crime and started walking and looking. Since I couldn't see for a few seconds after I shot, I didn't have a clue which way he ran, so we started Up the sendero, the direction he was walking when I shot. We scoured both sides up against the brush plus I went into every opening. Then we saw some fresh hurried tracks going South East (The sendero runs North East) Toward the Hiway. I shot at him at approximately the same location I shot the little nubber buck earlier in the season and it looked like he may have run the same direction as the nubber. We looked for about 3 hours before we threw in the hat. But I'm about to go look again. It's cold out so the meat is probably still good. I'll let you know later.
Here's some picks of another deer that showed up at my feeder. The one I shot at yesterday was bigger. He looked to be 16 maybe 18 inches inside.

Here's some pics of the biggest one I've seen on my cam,

01140280_zpscffnfqd5.jpg

01140281_zpsxopuxfpr.jpg

01140282_zpsfwwjualt.jpg

01140283_zpszjboujur.jpg

01140284_zpsfqaycfjc.jpg

01140285_zpsliekztr1.jpg

01140286_zpspxq08plu.jpg

I don't know what happened to the thread title, this computer is jumpy and it did something screwy. It's supposed to read something like last hunt of the year or whatever. I have no clue where the 10 came from.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have no clue where the 10 came from.

Just after 9 but before 11.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Look for blood.

If its 50 Cal there should be some blood at least at the point of impact.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Look for blood.

If its 50 Cal there should be some blood at least at the point of impact.

OK we looked for blood-none
    I looked under every weed and snake in that pasture-no deer

Then I went up to the gate and put a target up and used the car for a rest. Put the sight right in the middle, Boom! No hole. I had that rifle drilling the middle out of a 3-5 inch circle and now it didn't even hit paper. What now? I didn't touch the sights. Well, at least this year it went boom instead of fizzle. I need a better sight. I'm helpless with Iron with my eyes. But I put the front sight right on the back of its neck right where it meets the body. He was walking away from me but I not that fast. But I don't think I hit that deer. Back to the range.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The bucks really made themselves scarce this year right up to the end. No bucks in my cam until Christmas I think, I saw a couple from my blind but none were shooters. The one I shot at yesterday was the first shooter I've seen with a gun in my hand, not counting a couple flying across the sendero. But they were in high gear and 500 yards away, so this one was the first one I've seen that I had a chance of shooting. There have been poachers in the area and maybe they were shooting at night keeping the heard spooked, and taking some of our nice deer. But this one yesterday was as nice as I've seen in a couple of years.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    snake, ole buddy, my first thought was that you had forgotten to put a ball down on the powder, but lets be realistic about this:
    Shooting open iron sights just about dusky dark at about 130 yards at a target no bigger than the base of a Whitetail's neck....come on now!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    10 huh? I was expecting to see Bo Derek or Fran Tarkenton
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    I think a strong reconsideration of your methods/platform/techniques/skill level/limits is in order.

The way I read it, you are quite the train wreck of a hunter. Between missing, wounding, losing, and occasionally connecting, I think a self and system evaluation would do you some honest to goodness good. Soul search.

How can we help?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    I think a strong reconsideration of your methods/platform/techniques/skill level/limits is in order.

The way I read it, you are quite the train wreck of a hunter. Between missing, wounding, losing, and occasionally connecting, I think a self and system evaluation would do you some honest to goodness good. Soul search.

How can we help?

Go search your own soul
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    Go search your own soul

Just trying to help. You are more than welcome to continue on your path.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,087 Senior Member
    Just use a .243 or something and a 7x scope.

If you can focus on the front sight, you can hit a deer
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    My first question upon reading this: was the deer still moving when you shot? If so, all bets are off. It's hard enough to hit one properly at a casual walk with a fast rifle round at 130 yards, let alone a slow cooking muzzleloader shot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Just use a .243 or something and a 7x scope.

If you can focus on the front sight, you can hit a deer

I'm aware of that. That's why I took the shot(Edited) Because I figured if I could focus the front sight on the deer I could hit it. I checked zero on it awhile back and it was shooting good enough to make that shot. What's a deer going straight away? 12-14 inches wide? It should have hit that deer close to the spine.

I wish I could have shot it with a .243. It was a chip shot for a scoped high powered rifle. But regular rifle season was over. It was Muzzle loader or nothing.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,343 Senior Member
    Does Texas allow muzzle loaders with optics? One of my friends hunts with an inline Thompson something or other and he has several centerfire and a muzzle loading barrel for it and with the scoped muzzle loading barrel on it, it's pretty dang accurate.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Does Texas allow muzzle loaders with optics? One of my friends hunts with an inline Thompson something or other and he has several centerfire and a muzzle loading barrel for it and with the scoped muzzle loading barrel on it, it's pretty dang accurate.

I was wondering that myself. I haven't checked yet. I was all into doing things traditional with the muzzle loader, and I know a lot of ML hunters on here are traditional. But if it will help me I'm not against it. A good pistol or scout scope might be what I need. However a scope will destroy all aesthetics associated with ML hunting. And with me that was kinda the point.

I believe one thing that would help me is better finer sight placement on the target (Drawing a Fine Bead), which is my main issue with iron sights anyway. Now I'm wondering if a good receiver peep type sight would help.

Whatever, I'm going to be spending more range time with the ML this next year. Maybe I just need more trigger time.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Rear peep sight.

I'd like one on mine but haven't got there yet. My shots are pretty close.

A drop a glue on the present rear sight to lock it?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Rear peep sight.

I'd like one on mine but haven't got there yet. My shots are pretty close.

A drop a glue on the present rear sight to lock it?

Yeah like Loctite? But I don't remember dropping it or hitting it where it would move the sights. I'll take it to the range and see. Then if it's off I'll loctite it. But I've had that gun like 4 years and the only time I messed with the sights was the first year I had it and they've stayed right on since.

You'd think at 120+ YARDS that the ball would drop down into the body of the deer. I don't think I shot over it and the front sight was in the rear sight and centered and the front sight was right on the deer.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,714 Senior Member
    I have been thinking about this thread and it has me curious. When sighting in your BP rifle, are you doing it from a bench rest?

The slower burn of the BP could cause the POI to be significantly different with a standing hold than a bench shot.

Just a thought.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this thread and it has me curious. When sighting in your BP rifle, are you doing it from a bench rest?

The slower burn of the BP could cause the POI to be significantly different with a standing hold than a bench shot.

Just a thought.

D

The above is what first came into my mind. Shooting from a bench is different in my view from shooting in the field. One of the exercises I do after checking /sighting in any rifle prior to hunting season is to simulate using various field positions after checking zero. Even a slightly different body position could affect poi.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    BigDanS wrote: »

Just a thought.

D

Well I'm not going to say no, because I'm not completely positive. And I do sight it in from a bench. And when I shot it the other day at an improvised target I was standing up resting the gun on the top of the car. So you may have something there. But according to most of the ML shooters the lock time isn't that slow, especially with a cap lock. But I guess it's possible.
    orchidman wrote: »
    The above is what first came into my mind. Shooting from a bench is different in my view from shooting in the field. One of the exercises I do after checking /sighting in any rifle prior to hunting season is to simulate using various field positions after checking zero. Even a slightly different body position could affect poi.

Yes Alec, that could have some bearing on it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,287 Senior Member
    http://www.btibrands.com/product/tac-3/

Get one...use it...We all get to a point where having a good rest is necessary...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,882 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    http://www.btibrands.com/product/tac-3/

Get one...use it...We all get to a point where having a good rest is necessary...

Isn't he hunting from an elevated stand and a rest??

Snake,now that the season is over, go rezero and shoot from your stand at different distances and find your real maximum range. It won't be the same as from a bench.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,287 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

I was under the impression this was attempted off-hand...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Snake,now that the season is over, go rezero and shoot from your stand at different distances and find your real maximum range. It won't be the same as from a bench.

That's a great idea. I think I'll do it. However not just yet. It's still good and cool and hogs are still on the roam. So I'll put it off for a month or so until I can slay me a few hogs. But I will do as you suggested.

No Jayhawker, I hunt from one of the portable tent blinds. However I constructed a 3/4" PVC shooting rest that I put at the window of the tent. So I'm steady. I sit on a five gallon bucket with a cushion that is very comfortable and about the right height for the tent window. However one day I did shoot at some hogs without proper rest because my grand son was with me and we both couldn't fit with the shooting rest because it has a brace that runs out at a 45 degree angle. We both missed, or at least if we hit any they made it to the brush line and died within. Looking for this deer, it was cold and I went into some pretty thorny and snaky places that I wouldn't have gone for a hog unless it was very cold, and it wasn't that day.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,376 Senior Member
    What range are you zeroed at?

If you are shooting 50cal roundball dead on at 100, your bullet drop will be 4+ inches at 125, and you will be about 3 high at 50. If you are dead on at 50, then your drop at 125 should be 10 ish inches at a guess.

Other thing is if you took a Texas heart shot, (directly away) the bullet could go in and not come out. Might not hit vitals either and you wouldnt see blood. Traditional ML is a lot like bow hunting except cooler. The shot placement is similar. you want a heart/lung/double lung. It isnt a modern cartridge or component gun, you have to hit vitals.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    Snake, You might want to consider a peep sight for your gun. Lyman has several models to choose from and they work pretty good for old eyes. 130 yards is a long shot for a muzzleloader even under ideal conditions...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Snake, You might want to consider a peep sight for your gun. Lyman has several models to choose from and they work pretty good for old eyes. 130 yards is a long shot for a muzzle loader even under ideal conditions...........robin

You're Right Bro Hawken. This has been a long week of reflection. If-If-If is all I've been thinking all week. I've about shoulda-woulda-coulda-ed myself crazy .

I am seriously considering a peep sight. Also, though we didn't measure the shot, my son in law told me he doesn't think it was 130 yards. Looking from down range toward my blind I will admit it doesn't look as far from that end as it does from the blind. I'm going to measure it. He said he doesn't think it's much over 100. Coulda Fooled Me!

But whatever, I missed the deer or failed to knock it down, which is a failure on my end. I will say in my defense, I did give the search a more than valid effort. I looked in all the brush I could get inside. I gave it about 6 hours or so. That brush is very thick and there's a lot of it there. I'm not totally convinced I didn't hit it, but Not finding it after that search I'm doubting I hit it with a lethal shot.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    If you know another ML shooter, have that person try shooting it without them adjusting it, try a short range, 70 - 100 feet and see what happens,, then out to 100 yards and see what happens, I have seen problems sometimes from sighting in from a rest or bench, then the person misses a deer completely at ranges of 100 yards or so, for some odd reason of shooting differently off hand as compared to a bench, perhaps the angle of ones head in relation to the sights changes enough to affect point of impact of the bullet.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    If you know another ML shooter, have that person try shooting it without them adjusting it, try a short range, 70 - 100 feet and see what happens,, then out to 100 yards and see what happens, I have seen problems sometimes from sighting in from a rest or bench, then the person misses a deer completely at ranges of 100 yards or so, for some odd reason of shooting differently off hand as compared to a bench, perhaps the angle of ones head in relation to the sights changes enough to affect point of impact of the bullet.

If I keep it doc I might do that. But right now I'm working on a trade for an inline. I love the traditionalist side of ML, but I have to face facts that the real reason I got into it was to have more opportunity at game and an inline will extend my range, and allow a scope on it. I know, I know, this is heresy, but I may get back into traditional ML hunting in the future. I do enjoy just shooting my Renegade at paper too.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    If I keep it doc I might do that. But right now I'm working on a trade for an inline. I love the traditionalist side of ML, but I have to face facts that the real reason I got into it was to have more opportunity at game and an inline will extend my range, and allow a scope on it. I know, I know, this is heresy, but I may get back into traditional ML hunting in the future. I do enjoy just shooting my Renegade at paper too.

Snake, Keep the traditional rifle, it won't be worth much in a trade anyhow, and get the inline too.........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO