First Deer with the .445 Super Mag & 240gr XTP.

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    No. It didn't work. Just ripped the guys shirt a bit. And embedded copper shrapnel in his gut. No flammable liquids were used, unfortunately.

And since I don't think you were around then, no, I'm NOT kidding. I convinced a guy to do it. Ain't that right, Zee? :tooth:

cool-story-bro_zpsgjrjrzgn.gif
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Here is a picture of the little blind I made.

445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2034_zpsrg3ki0sg.jpg

And the view to where I shot the doe.

445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2010_zpsqfcdldou.jpg

A- Where the doe initially came out and walked down the road to....
    B - Where she was when I shot.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,843 Senior Member
    No. It didn't work. Just ripped the guys shirt a bit. And embedded copper shrapnel in his gut. No flammable liquids were used, unfortunately.

And since I don't think you were around then, no, I'm NOT kidding. I convinced a guy to do it. Ain't that right, Zee? :tooth:
    And, since the forum crash, all evidence of the incident has been forever lost.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Great setup Zee and excellent report.

Looking at the terrain in your pics, I like the way you didn't choose the obvious place for your hide...........in front of the first tree. I always try to put something else between my position and the potential target area on the basis that, even if it cuts down some visibility, the 'blind' will blend into the background rather than be part of the foreground from the point of view of the prospective 'target'.

What brand is the camo 'net' if you don't mind me asking. I have a couple of places where that colour would be perfect during our upcoming duck season.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,445 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have not paid for store bought red meat since I left home as a teenager. If I don't kill it.........I don't eat it.

Glad to see it didn't stunt your growth ;)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    orchidman wrote: »
    Great setup Zee and excellent report.

Looking at the terrain in your pics, I like the way you didn't choose the obvious place for your hide...........in front of the first tree. I always try to put something else between my position and the potential target area on the basis that, even if it cuts down some visibility, the 'blind' will blend into the background rather than be part of the foreground from the point of view of the prospective 'target'.

What brand is the camo 'net' if you don't mind me asking. I have a couple of places where that colour would be perfect during our upcoming duck season.

Thanks. Loopholes, "stacking", "second focal plane", all methods by which one places objects or vegetation in front of oneself so that the "game" has to burn through it with their eyes to see what is behind. Works pretty well.

The pattern is your typical "Chocolate Chip". Don't remember who made the netting. Had it for quite awhile.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Meanie.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member

I laughed out loud. Just sayin.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    Cartridge: .445 Super Mag
    Bullet: Hornady 240gr XTP
    Muzzle Velocity: 1,977 fps
    Distance: 64 yards
    Angle: Quartering Towards
    Impact Velocity: 1,750 fps
    Distance Traveled: 54 yards

Entrance
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2035_zpssmjr6r3g.jpg

Entrance Under Hide
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2038_zps3g4nilqv.jpg

Exit From Shoulder. Shattered the scapula and lower shoulder bone into pieces.
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2039_zpspnoyn5ot.jpg

Entrance Under Shoulder
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2041_zpslekcpkcz.jpg

Entrance To Thoracic Cavity
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2042_zpsnl4ezuzl.jpg

Entrance to Lungs
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2044_zps2jsmkb7c.jpg

Jacket Found
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2045_zpskadvnzre.jpg

445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2046_zpsfriljbfv.jpg

Core Located
    445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2047_zpsxfltzatt.jpg

445%20Super%20Mag%20Doe%201-20-16%2048_zpst12uzmw8.jpg

I haven't cleaned up and weighed the bullet yet. But, I will. Considering the velocity on impact and that the bullet struck a major bone immediately on impact, I am not surprised that it separated. But, the core still drove through the lungs and came to rest at the back.

Damage was done to them, but the deer did not bleed from the entrance. All the blood came from her mouth as she ran. There was no blood at first, but then about halfway, the flood gates opened until she stopped. The picture in the original post show that location and the blood present.

I really like this cartridge............and the 240gr XTP is flat out awesome in every chambering I've used it!!!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,225 Senior Member
    Nice work, you have had a hell of a year. :beer:
    twa wrote: »
    Nice work, you have had a hell of a year. :beer:

No monsters. Just lots of knowledge and experience gained through multiple cartridges and platforms.................being outside and doing what I love.

I can't complain.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member

Thanks Bullsi:tooth:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Here's what is left of the 240gr Hornady XTP bullet after smashing through the shoulder bone at 1,750 fps.

BB1B1814-08C6-47CA-834D-A15768EEC981_zpsagbuvfle.jpg

BE0E3CA0-57BC-413F-B657-17BAEA4D5081_zps32magv3d.jpg

There is even a large chunk of bone imbedded in the center of the core. The bullet got thrashed, but it did its job well and I don't have any complaints.

This is the 3rd animal taken with the 240gr XTP this year. Two pigs and a deer. Muzzle velocities ranged from 1,977 - 2,325 fps. All have been super effective. Even when driven faster than generally prescribed.

While i I might not choose them for elk size game, they have no peer in my book for deer sized game. Other bullets work equally well, but none better that I've seen.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    ..........And since I don't think you were around then, no, I'm NOT kidding. I convinced a guy to do it. Ain't that right, Zee? :tooth:

weirdest-things-ever-seen-on-the-train-1846619543-may-24-2015-1-600x400.jpg

Making his way home afterwards.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,450 Senior Member
    WOW. Awesome stuff, Zee. :cool2::worthy:

I load the 240gr and 300gr XTPs into my SBH (.44mag), but I haven't taken any game with it yet. Good to see the bullet can do the job across various platforms.

Now if I can just get my hands on a .445.......................
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
2»