Feral hogs have no morals

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,353 Senior Member
The hogs have finally returned to the ranch. During the fall and up until about 2 weeks ago they had all but disappeared. It's been a quite strange as they've never disappeared like that before and boys and friends love to shoot them, especially now that deer season has ended. They've never ventured up near the house and don't do any real damage on my place. I know some of y'all aren't that lucky.

Anyhow back to my story. I was hunting last weekend when I dropped this big feller! He's the one napping in the water trying to over come the .95 gr ballistic tip from my .243 migraine I gave him. It had just turned dark and about 10 min after I popped him I got a call from a long haul delivery guy he was 10 min out from arriving with my new tractor. Ten minutes turned into 90 min as he'd gotten lost and his GPS wigged out on him. It took another 30 min or so to get the tractor and mower deck off trailer and sign all the paper work. Usually for hogs I just cut the back straps out an haul them into the cactus. This guy could wait until morning.

I pulled the camera chips and this other hog showed up 2 hours after I dropped the one napping. He stayed around on and off all night feeding and came back again in the morning. He feed all around the napping the hog. I guess they have no morals for their brethren who have passed. I also got a kick out of the fact that when the feeder went off it scared the snot out of him!

72913293-7e00-4874-9f83-aae0151c120d_1.jpg

509dc0e7-c012-4648-bfc8-aafcdccef815_1.jpg
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I guess they have no morals for their brethren who have passed.

If you had slit his 'brethren's throat,' he would have lapped that up, too. :jester:

In a few more days, he will probably be running that hard toward that surprise.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Haha - I love the shot of him bailing out! Yeah, they have no morals, alright. He would ate that corn out his buddy's ass if it meant a free meal!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Let his buddy get a little ripe, and he will start working on the carcass. They're omnivores, ya know!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Let his buddy get a little ripe, and he will start working on the carcass. They're omnivores, ya know!
    Jerry
    There are a couple big ferals in my area that have been caught munching on dead calves ... I don't think they killed them but they were dining on them.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    Sounds like a large version of a prairie dog. I've seen them dive into the guts of one of their brethren within minutes of said brother/sister having his/her guts splattered across the prairie. Kind of dispels the myth about them being such cute little darlings.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Sounds like a large version of a prairie dog. I've seen them dive into the guts of one of their brethren within minutes of said brother/sister having his/her guts splattered across the prairie. Kind of dispels the myth about them being such cute little darlings.

Who are we kidding, Jerry. The pdogs will scatter at the sound of another getting hit and immediately start chowing on their still writhing buddy when the panic dies down a second or two later!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 672 Senior Member
    My Granddad was in the Pacific in WW2, a patrol came across a pig and, having been living on bully beef for a while, decided it looked like dinner,
    they proceeded to Swiss cheese it with a Thompson, on their return, to everyone's delight, they began gutting it and skinning it for the evening meal, that is, until the Medical officer showed up and said no pork for dinner, everyone's getting wound up and saying what the hell, why?, etc.
    MO pulls a knife and slices the stomach open, turns out porky had been chowing down on what looked to the assembled crowd like human remains, MO seals the deal by pulling out a finger, Granddad reckons he didn't want any pork after that...
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    My Granddad was in the Pacific in WW2, a patrol came across a pig and, having been living on bully beef for a while, decided it looked like dinner,
    they proceeded to Swiss cheese it with a Thompson, on their return, to everyone's delight, they began gutting it and skinning it for the evening meal, that is, until the Medical officer showed up and said no pork for dinner, everyone's getting wound up and saying what the hell, why?, etc.
    MO pulls a knife and slices the stomach open, turns out porky had been chowing down on what looked to the assembled crowd like human remains, MO seals the deal by pulling out a finger, Granddad reckons he didn't want any pork after that...

I've been told that the ONLY thing a hog won't eat is squash.

Go figure.
    Jerry

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    I have heard that its been said, gol dang pigs will eat the dead !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    Shoot a squirrel dead at a bird feeder with a quiet gun and his buddy will come down the tree and stare at him then go on feeding as if nothing is wrong.
    This message has been deleted
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,353 Senior Member
    We have a place happily named the bone yard in the SE corner of the ranch where we dump the remains of our critters. It's an old cotton terrace which is a bit of a depression. Last year we dumped a couple of hogs and the remains of a deer carcass. We decided to put a game camera on them see what would come feeding. The first couple of days was just a lone bobcat. By day three the coyotes had found them. Within a week the pigs arrived and it only took a few days with the pigs and coyotes showing up before everything was gone. Not to mention the carcasses had been dragged off. Never saw a buzzard on those carcasses.

We do the same with dead cows, tip a bucket of molassas over them and the pigs start turning up in a week or so.
    Sheep farming is probably the hardest hit by feral pigs, a big boar getting into a mob of ewes with fresh dropped lambs at foot makes a hua of a mess, always good to keep the numbers of them down.
    We do the same with dead cows, tip a bucket of molassas over them and the pigs start turning up in a week or so.
    Sheep farming is probably the hardest hit by feral pigs, a big boar getting into a mob of ewes with fresh dropped lambs at foot makes a hua of a mess, always good to keep the numbers of them down.

In NC we have no predator for ferals, a black bear could probably take a feral in a fight but I have never heard of one attacking a feral. What predators are their for ferals in other locations?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    In NZ there are no predators for large game animals, we use dogs to hunt them and a knife, with a carbine for backup.
    Pigs are the mammalian equivalent of cockroaches in my estimation, they occupy that perfect niche where nothing much bothers them and they get by on anything, anywhere, mostly unseen, without too much trouble (they taste better then cockroaches though).
    200 pounds is a big pig here, we don't really get them a whole lot bigger then that generally, you guys get them a lot bigger.

Hey Jeff, what's the average size of your pigs?
    Hey Jeff, what's the average size of your pigs?

That's very subjective. We have them as big as 350 lbs but I'd say the average is around 130 to 150 lbs. The one I killed in the picture went 185 lbs. Anything under 200ish is good eating 225 for a big sow. Bores over 225 or bigger stink so bad I want nothing to do with them. My son shot one last year and it stunk so bad I wanted to hang him up for dragging it to up to the barn to weigh. The old scale I had bottomed out at 300 lbs. We were just starting to lift his hind legs up when he bottomed out the scale. He was a big pig, we thought he probably went a solid 350. For Xmas this year my youngest got me an 800 lbs digital scale so I'm ready for anything.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    For Xmas this year my youngest got me an 800 lbs digital scale so I'm ready for anything.

That one might even handle Hogzilla! I'm still not sure if that pig was real, or just a pretty good photoshop job!

Hogzilla-pic.jpg

:uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    My buddy is one of the Texas game biologist and I asked him about wild/feral hog sizes and how big they can get. He said a really big wild hogs can go 350 with an anomaly going 450. It really depends on genetics and food sources. Every now and then someone shows up with a 500 or 600 pound feral hog. He said I never say never anymore as someone shows up with some monster hog. However a lot of those monster hogs have a ton a domestic hog genetics in them when they get tested. Nothing is impossible I guess but having been around wild hogs all my life I've never seen one bigger than the one my son shot that we thought went 350 lbs.

Plus I really love those hog hunting shows on TV when they knock down a 150 lb hog and tell the viewing audience this one was 350 lbs. That's when two guys grab a leg each, lift it and put it in the back of the truck. Cracks me up but if you've never been around them heck they wouldn't know the difference.

One more thing on these hog hunting shows. They were interviewing this one lady who said she couldn't go out to her car at night cause the hogs would attack her. Cracked me up on that one. Then this team of hog hunters went all over her property trying to find hogs. I asked my wife why they didn't sit on her front porch and shoot them at night! :)

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    Jeff, I applaud your conservative estimation of pigs. So often I see and hear people calling pigs 300-500 pounds when in reality, they barely make 300.

People oft feel the need to exaggerate a pigs size. It is a rare feral pig that goes much over 350 pounds. Those that do are usually on game farms that are fed well and released to hunt or feral hogs with little hunting pressure and access to ample agricultural crops.

I've killed a fair share of feral pigs in my life and 350 is as big as I've ever encountered. And that is one SOLID pig!! It's easy to think it weighs more as you're dragging and loading it in the truck. Just to get it on the scale and it's only 335 pounds.

Still, a chunk of pork.

500?

Yeah..........that pig is on a feeding program.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,617 Senior Member
    Read an.article recently about a hog killed not far.from me that weighed 420+. That is certainly the exception around here.

I vaguely remember a story about a guy that had a heart attack while feeding his hogs, fell into the pen and was eaten. Y the pigs. Don't know if true or not
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    The ones I've seen in the wild were true athletes, long-legged, long-haired, and long tusked varmints that could run like a dog. I've never seen one of them that I would estimate over about 200 pounds. The others, like the spotted ones, usually get killed off before they can get huge, in my opinion.
    While we still shot 'em, the problem in our area has gotten to the point where it is better to use the big catch pen setup and get a bunch at once. We usually try to do everything and be out way before dark so there will be more traffic time for the ferals. The next day we have at least 10+ in the pen. Usually it is couple mature sows (I have seen some over 150lbs but I doubt any made it close to 200lbs) , a couple younger adults (maybe 100lbs or a little more occasionally) and about a half dozen less than a year old (5lb piglets to the good roaster around 75-80lbs). We might catch an older boar but for some reason that is rare. We seem to take the boar at distance and alone or maybe in a small group of 2 or 3 ferals. Personally, I have seen a real boar in FL (not a feral) weighed 285lbs and that was a big pig! The only thing I have seen larger was a breeder sow at a farm and she was fat huge ... the farmer said well over 600lbs at her heaviest but all she did was eat, sleep and have piglets. Ferals or even wild ones have to be able to move and the legendary huge 700+ lbers I don't think would survive that often if ever due to eating and other limitations due to their size.

The photos some people post use angles and positioning to make the pig look bigger. When a person leans his rifle against the pig for reference that shows an honest size ... not the chowder head kneeling 5 feet behind it so it appears twice as large.

Oh yeah, in NC, it is the law all ferals must be put down inside the pen/trap. You are not legally allowed to even take piglets out to fatten up.
    - George Orwell
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,445 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Shoot a squirrel dead at a bird feeder with a quiet gun and his buddy will come down the tree and stare at him then go on feeding as if nothing is wrong.

I've seen the same thing with whitetail deer. Coming in to feed with a dead deer that I shot minutes before dead on the ground.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,969 Senior Member
    Death is a part of life to animals.

Nothing to see here...........move along..........move along.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I've seen the same thing with whitetail deer. Coming in to feed with a dead deer that I shot minutes before dead on the ground.

I used to get the opportunity to hunt on a big place out between Junction and Menard. The guy that ran the place would always tell us when we shot a deer, leave it be for awhile. It won't spook the others. They don"t realize where the shot came from or really what took place if you just be quiet. I killed at least one extra deer like that and most of us did also. Does especialy are stupid like that. One day I shot two decent bucks in one day. You shoot one and just set back. Pretty soon here they come and some will sniff at the one on the ground. Then shortly he'll join him.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The hogs have finally returned to the ranch. During the fall and up until about 2 weeks ago they had all but disappeared. It's been a quite strange as they've never disappeared like that before and boys and friends love to shoot them, especially now that deer season has ended. They've never ventured up near the house and don't do any real damage on my place. I know some of y'all aren't that lucky.

Anyhow back to my story. I was hunting last weekend when I dropped this big feller! He's the one napping in the water trying to over come the .95 gr ballistic tip from my .243 migraine I gave him. It had just turned dark and about 10 min after I popped him I got a call from a long haul delivery guy he was 10 min out from arriving with my new tractor. Ten minutes turned into 90 min as he'd gotten lost and his GPS wigged out on him. It took another 30 min or so to get the tractor and mower deck off trailer and sign all the paper work. Usually for hogs I just cut the back straps out an haul them into the cactus. This guy could wait until morning.

I pulled the camera chips and this other hog showed up 2 hours after I dropped the one napping. He stayed around on and off all night feeding and came back again in the morning. He feed all around the napping the hog. I guess they have no morals for their brethren who have passed. I also got a kick out of the fact that when the feeder went off it scared the snot out of him!

72913293-7e00-4874-9f83-aae0151c120d_1.jpg

509dc0e7-c012-4648-bfc8-aafcdccef815_1.jpg

Jeff, one thing about my hunting place, it's about 900 acres and it's bordered on the NW by karankawa creek that goes into Karankawa bay to the west and south of us and a couple of rice fields to the south and east, along with a Milo field on the south east. Hogs swim the creek and cross the fence and migrate on and off our place. Sometimes I won't see a deer or hog for a week or two. Then one or the other will show up again. In 300 yards they can come on the place, cross the place and be back off it in less than 15 minutes. Sometimes you won't see a hog on here for three weeks. But just when you think the alien mothership has beamed them up, they will walk out in front of you. Now five years ago right before I got on the place a guy had the rice fields leased and was farming them. He set up four towers and had four Full Auto M-16s and he and his buddies pretty well wiped out the hogs. (I didn't meet him so I don't know if his name was Ted Neugent.) When I got on there they were just starting to recover. Now they're about overrunning the place again. But hogs can come and go a lot faster than deer. Once you wipe out the deer heard it takes awhile for them to rebuild and come back in any numbers.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    There may be a couple out there that will go 500, but if so, the Aliens just dropped him off. The very biggest one I've ever seen was a predominantly Russian-Spanish one that my grand son killed and he MIGHT have been 300. But probably 275. But he was plenty big. All the while I was wishing for a 100-150 pound sow.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,343 Senior Member
    Not only do they lack morals, they can sleep anywhere.

hoginbutt.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,832 Senior Member
    That one's not sleeping. That's a lawyer being born.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I've seen antelope do something similar. They don't feed on a dead one, but are very curious animals and might walk up within easy rifle range while you're field dressing one you just put down. It's happened to me more than once. One of those times I was field dressing a buck I had just killed, when a doe appeared out of nowhere to watch. Linefinder asked me to range it, so I did. It was easily a makeable shot, so he filled his tag while I was finishing up with mine.
    Jerry

snake284 wrote: »
    There may be a couple out there that will go 500, but if so, the Aliens just dropped him off. The very biggest one I've ever seen was a predominantly Russian-Spanish one that my grand son killed and he MIGHT have been 300. But probably 275. But he was plenty big. All the while I was wishing for a 100-150 pound sow.

Edited to Add: It's my opinion that if Hogzilla lives around here, he may go 400, but no more.