Home Main Category General Firearms

Rossi 92 45 Colt - 16" or 20"

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 782 Senior Member
I have a chance to pick up a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt to go with my Uberti 1873 Gambler revolver but I have to choose between the 16" barrel and a 20" barrel. Except for barrel length, the two are the same.

Guy will sell me either one but not both and I'm meeting him tomorrow. He says he replaced the springs in both of them and they are about two years old. I don't know the guy so everything is "grain of salt" info at this point. I don't know what I'll use it for besides plinking and paper-punching. Is it just a matter of which one feels better or are there other considerations? Any tips or suggestions are welcome. What say the forum?

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Go with the feel. Pick the one that feels the best or the best wood.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »

This.

Many LGS had both and I handled them SEVERAL times trying to decide which one I wanted. In the end, I went with the 16" barrel.

Two reasons:
    1. I already had a 24" octagon barreled M92 in .45 Colt.
    2. The 16" was one handily little rifle!!! Very compact (shorter stock I think) and weightless it seemed.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I'm a woods bumer hiker hunter etc.
    I would let the respective models balance in my hand at my side. Then shoulder them. The one that balances best and is already aimed when shouldered wins.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    All else being equal, I'll take the 16" barrel on any pistol caliber cartridge. There is no gain in accuracy, or any appreciable gain in velocity beyond this length IMO, and they are just way more handy.

The first time you get in a small deer blind with one, you'll see how much better the 16" barrel is.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    20". I want my front sight as far away as possible unless optics are involved.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    16. Lighter, handier, quicker handling
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Bigslug wrote: »
    20". I want my front sight as far away as possible unless optics are involved.

That was another of my considerations. I was going to scout scope either barrel length I went with.

The he iron sights on either barrel length rather suck. So, in my opinion, either one will need a sight swap. Regardless the length.

Rossi iron sights...........suck gopher nuts.
    And if you get this:
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_30&products_id=5

You will have a the long sight radius with the accuracy of a peep, and the handiness of the short barrel
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    And if you get this:
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_30&products_id=5

You will have a the long sight radius with the accuracy of a peep, and the handiness of the short barrel

That's pretty interesting!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    16". No debate. End of story.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Pffffttt......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    ken55: I have had a SS Rossi 92 20in Round Barrel in 45LC since 1999 I believe. It is just a great little all around Lever Gun. And I use it to Cowboy Shoot, Shoot Steel, Hunt Deer & Pigs, and for just carrying around plinking with. I have killed two Deer and several Pig with it. I shoot mostly Hard Cast LRNFP bullets in 250gr or 255gr. A 45LC is just a great cartridge in both a S/A or D/A Pistol or a Lever Action Rifle. I have both Shot and Reloaded for, the 45LC for many years and it is definitely one of my favorites. Not much a 45LC with a 255gr Bullet won`t do for you. About the hottest I have ever loaded any of my 45LC`s is 10grs of Unique with a 255gr LRNFP Bullet at about 1000fps and it worked fine for me. But IMHO 7grs of WIN 231 and a 255gr LRNFP Bullet at about 860fps shoots better for me. And it is what I shoot 98% of the time. And that is the load I have taken 1 deer and all of the Pigs I have killed with. You don`t have to hot load a 45LC with a 255gr to get it to perform.
    ken
    Thanks all - good info as usual. I met the guy selling the carbines and it went south quickly. He "forgot" to bring the 20" model and the 16" one had been worked over way too much for my comfort level. The main issue for me was the trigger - it was way too light for a lever action. I would estimate it at about 1 pound or less and I got two different answers about who did the work. I walked away on the deal - didn't feel right.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    What a pisser. Got love the ol' bait-n-switch. He knew damned well that he bubba'd up that gun and was looking for a sucker. Good on you to walk away but sorry it didn't work out.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Bubba'd levers should only be used by Chuck Connors and he's gone.
    Well, it worked out, in a strange way. I stopped by my favorite LGS, where I've bought several guns over the years and was telling the owner the story about the bubba-ed Rossi 16" carbine. He said he had a 20" one in stock if I wanted it. I told him that I'd probably order it from Bud's Guns (thanks, Zee!) because I didn't want to spend anymore than I had to but that I would transfer it through him so he would at least make the transfer fee out of it. He offered to match Bud's price so I bought it and here it is along with its little brother the Uberti Gambler. It pays off to build and keep a relationship with an LGS. (The Maker's Mark is a nod to our old friend Dan and I'm giving it to the LGS owner as a thanks.)
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Good choice !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Excellent!!
    That's a plum salty outfit pard.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Now yer cooking with peanut oil! That worked out beautifully.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    Well, it worked out, in a strange way. I stopped by my favorite LGS, where I've bought several guns over the years and was telling the owner the story about the bubba-ed Rossi 16" carbine. He said he had a 20" one in stock if I wanted it. I told him that I'd probably order it from Bud's Guns (thanks, Zee!) because I didn't want to spend anymore than I had to but that I would transfer it through him so he would at least make the transfer fee out of it. He offered to match Bud's price so I bought it and here it is along with its little brother the Uberti Gambler. It pays off to build and keep a relationship with an LGS. (The Maker's Mark is a nod to our old friend Dan and I'm giving it to the LGS owner as a thanks.)

That works...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Awesome!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »

:that:

I haven't looked at this thread in several days but just happened to take a peek at it again and I have to agree with elk. The barrel length, especially choosing between 16" and 18" should be chosen like Elk said, how it feels to the one most likely to be using it most and that's more than likely you. Go play with one of both lengths and see what you like or the one that appeals to you the best. Myself, I'll always choose the longer of what I can handle, but that's just me. I seem to shoot longish barrels better. I don't do a lot of walking around and I don't really get nit picky with weight and length because I'm going to carry it to my blind, crawl in, and sit down. It doesn't have to be real maneuverable or pretty for me. But as I said, that's just me. Different strokes for different folks, and all that stuff.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks again everybody. I think I made the right choice for myself. A good friend and I went out to plink some cans at his ranch and the 20" Rossi felt great. I loaded a box full of 230 grain LRN over 7.2 grains of Unique - accurate in both the rifle and my six-shooter and very little recoil. The rifle shoots right to point of aim and the cans didn't stand a chance. Great fun.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    +1 on the slide-mounted peep sight! If you want a "ghost ring" sight for quick target acquisition just unscrew the peep and use the threaded hole to aim with. It's virtually impossible to look anywhere but through the center of a hole, so the size of the peep doesn't affect accuracy very much. Sight radius does!
    Jerry
    ken55 wrote: »
    Thanks again everybody. I think I made the right choice for myself. A good friend and I went out to plink some cans at his ranch and the 20" Rossi felt great. I loaded a box full of 230 grain LRN over 7.2 grains of Unique - accurate in both the rifle and my six-shooter and very little recoil. The rifle shoots right to point of aim and the cans didn't stand a chance. Great fun.

I have a 24" Octagon Rossi in .45 Colt. I have a 16" Rossi on lay away in .45 Colt.

I don't want a 20" barrel Rossi in .45 Colt. Nope. Don't need it. Don't want it either. Not one bit. Would be a total waste of my time and money. Useless to me. Talk about redundant!

Don't want it. Really. I don't.
    Zee wrote: »
    I have a 24" Octagon Rossi in .45 Colt. I have a 16" Rossi on lay away in .45 Colt.

I don't want a 20" barrel Rossi in .45 Colt. Nope. Don't need it. Don't want it either. Not one bit. Would be a total waste of my time and money. Useless to me. Talk about redundant!

Don't want it. Really. I don't.

Yeah, I get it - that's how I ended up with so many guns. :guns:

Just as an aside, my buddy's ranch is on the Cuchara Canyon. After we killed all the cans we brought, we went for a walk along the canyon rim. The canyon at that area is about 700' deep and about a half mile across, with a stream running through it. Really beautiful and not another person, building, vehicle, or road in sight. We both carried our lever guns with us - my Rossi and his Marlin 44 Mag. That Rossi is really light - about 5 pounds I would guess - and it fits the hand perfectly. It felt really good to be walking in such a beautiful place carrying an old West type gun. Felt like freedom.
    A person so armed is well armed indeed.
  • cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    ken55: Most of my hunting trips are local now , and really only amount to me, just going for a long walk in the woods, that I know so well . Quite often just me and my Old Dog. With one of my favorite Rifles and my favorite Single Action 7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC that I bought back in 1971. Quite often the Rifle is my old SS Rossi 20 inch round barreled Lever Gun in 45LC also. My Little Rossi is like taking an Old Friend, and it carries so well, that my Hands and Arms never get tired of carrying it. Add to this a Bottle of water, a couple of can`s of Vienna Sausages, and some Ritz Crackers. And my Old Dog and I are good to go for most of the day. And it darn sure does feel like Freedom to me also, it always did. I turned 72yr old this year so my walks in the wood are getting shorter and less frequent now. And I find my self setting and watching and listening to a riffle in a clear stream or just looking at rock formations or large open meadows, longer now than I use to.
    ken